Baking house of kolor Show klear parts in oven.

J

Juicegoose

So I usually set my reel seats up in my small airbrush booth over night and try to keep them from getting stuff on them.
I noticed in the literature that you can bake the show klear at 140 for 1 hour and it'll harden up much quicker.

Does doing so create a lot of smelly fumes or hurt the durability of the finish?

Usually, the clearcoat is baked for 1 hour in the spray booth at a temperature 60C, I don't know what it will be in K. It's a right way to bake the clear for its durability, for that one isn't baked has less durable properties.
But I don't know if you can keep propper temperature in the oven (as I understand that one in the house). Mine doesn't even run at the temperature of 60C, it wouldn't be oven then but kinda drying box:)

OK some important questions... is that 140f or 140c...? 140f is 60c so I suspect that is the case. Just remember as an international audience most of us don't work in ancient units such as "f"... :p Anyway, just heat it up and yes it cures quicker. Simple chemistry, heat increases reaction speed. Even pumping it up to 30 or 40 degreesC will do the business, just a little slower. The limiting factor is normally the other materials a thing is made out of - for example, a car has materials that don't like being that hot. Not sure about the fumes but as the initial drying is when the volatiles gas off I doubt it. Certainly doesn't ruin the durability. If anything it can improve it.

lol... I use our oven for heat setting screen printing inks, heat treating steel... and the occasional roast... :)

Yes - good point. It's easy enough to make your own small bake oven with a fan heater and some plywood. We made one big enough to bake double sea kayaks at 40 degrees...

You are better off baking it off with short wave or medium wave infrared heater . Short wave is a bit quicker .but a medium wave patio lamp will dry clear in 15 mins let cool then you can de nib and mop it up .

You are better off baking it off with short wave or medium wave infrared heater . Short wave is a bit quicker .but a medium wave patio lamp will dry clear in 15 mins let cool then you can de nib and mop it up .

Short wave heaters are better for metal surfaces and medium for the others. It's long to describe the process but it's so. You can search for automotive repair infrared professional heaters and they're all are shortwave systems.

And it's real good idea to have one at small studio as it speeds working time. You can find small heater. Though they aren't cheap.

Last edited:
How long would guys expect it take for a reelseat coated with3-4 medium wet coats of clear to fully harden
I baked a seat last night and bravo it was great to have it dry in an hour.
Im trying to match the hardness of a commercially available reel seat. I know they use nippon paints and can only assume they use nippon clear coat.

In testing one of there seats( several years old) i was able to firmly take the edge if a coun against the surface and make no marks at all. On my seat after roughly 4 days it seems hard but j can still see a slight nail print and a coin will scratch up the clear.

Could they be using something harder then house of kolor show klear? Again the finish is very thin to allow for threading but just curious how much time should pass

How long would guys expect it take for a reelseat coated with3-4 medium wet coats of clear to fully harden

The manufacturer should be able to tell you that - always start with them first before you ask any opinion on any given product... :) It depends on the material, the temperature, what it is you've painted but as a good guide line, 7 days to fully cured for some, 20 minutes under a UV lamp for others, and hour at 60 degrees for another...

You might find it on their website, look for technical data. I know PPG have all this data really handy so something like HOK may do as well.

They have dry times but not time to full hardness. I guess the real question is i shouldnt get dents in clear when fully cured right?

They have dry times but not time to full hardness. I guess the real question is i shouldnt get dents in clear when fully cured right?
Yes that's correct. Is the HOK a solvent based system (eg it doesn't have a second thing added to cause cure - be that a solvent or water)? If so they possibly don't have that information. I would expect HOK is designed to have a clear coat over top in that case so the "cure" is a little secondary.

Yes there show klear is a a 2 part solvent based utilizing a catalyzer as well as a reducer