Early 20th Century T&C Model A: Another century old airbrush?

tatocorvette

Detail Decepticon!
Hello,

You may have seen elsewhere I recently posted about restoring an early fixed head Model A that is about a century old.
Here is the link: https://airbrushforum.org/threads/century-old-thayer-chandler-model-a.24988/

Well, I found another lonely early fixed head body. Incomplete and pretty much left for dead. I also got 2 other "junkers" for parts.
The idea: make a working unit using the earliest body.

The pile of junk, I mean, the parts donors. Notice the older body in the lower left corner.
IMGP7422.jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

You may notice the body still has the tube shank attached.
s-l1600 (2b).jpg
Long story short: I lost this battle and have diplomatically recognized the tube shank as integral part of the body.
Translation: It is really stuck in there. I tried PB Blaster, penetrating oil, heat, force, nuclear fusion and cursing to no avail. It is simply welded in place. If I continue the fight I may damage it and then would not be able to use it. So, OK. you can stay there.

I found out the nozzle was in a removable tube. I was not expecting that.
IMGP7441.jpg

The nozzle was beaten up. I was able to get it back to "round"-ish but it is far from pristine. Let's see how it goes before going open heart surgery and replace it.
IMGP7444.jpg

A few weeks go by. All necessary parts are accounted for and worked on. The donor needle was not the correct one so I used one from my parts bin. But this needle is way too long. More on that later.
IMGP7509.jpg

I tested with this needle and it worked. I was about to butcher and cut it when it hit me like a freight train: Inner voice yelled at me "Use a Badger XF needle you idiot!" :)

(to be continued in the next post)

Last edited:
(continuation)

With a mix of parts we are here. The needle is a Badger XF or fine. That is probably the newest part here.

IMGP7529.jpg

IMGP7530.jpg

IMGP7531.jpg

IMGP7533.jpg

IMGP7532.jpg

IMGP7534.jpgIMGP7538.jpg

Does it work? As suspected I could not get the sharpest thin lines. I suspect it is because the nozzle is a bit beaten up. But in the grand scheme of things, it works!
IMGP7546.jpg

Here you have the 2 oldest members of my collection. Both pushing triple digit ages.
IMGP7537.jpg

Hope you like and approve!

Thanks,
Ismael

Back