Hello

D

Dazzan

Hello,
My name is Darran from the UK. I have had a few airbrushes since my early teens and a couple of airbrush books but never studied it correctly and to be honest got bored quickly by expecting results to come quickly. A lot older and much grayer hair and less of it, plus after looking at many airbrush videos from Youtube, plus a little more time, I am trying once more.

I now have a Harder Steenbeck Infinity CR plus and a little old AS 18 ? compressor plus a few Wicked inks.
I am airbrushing against glass picture frames at the moment, a black background, and a white one plus printed paper eye training a4 prints placed behind one of the pictures including dots and blends, surface cleaner to wipe it clean and quickly start again. Once I`m happy with my control I will transfer to paper.
I like photography, sharks, animals,fantasy, and 3d including the sculpting program zbrush.

I also have a 3d printer and this has been very good in making correctly sized custom stencils from my 3d program or images. My easel is a converted tripod and got a printed stl file to make a part that attaches to the tripods shoe. This part was glued to a larger than A0 thin plywood sheet so I can set up the tripod and attach or detach the plywood easal for easy storage.

I like working digitally and feel it will help me with making some of the technical elements a little easier to concentrate on getting the basics right. I am very happy at this moment of giving it another go.
Thanks

Welcome home Darren
It is nice to have you here. Yes when I first started I too expected it to be fast and easy to learn due to all the videos make it look so easy . But NOPE ! that is never the case . you can not replace practice and hard work.
I will have to do some more looking at zbrush I mainly use formz frmo Autodesk here at work but I am always looking for other programs that might aid in the 3D printing .
If you can paint on glass you can paint on anything and it is a great way to really learn control and how reduction of paint acts.

Hi Darran from a fellow Brit. In a way ABing is a bit like learning an instrument. You got to know how to get everything in tune, and what all the techniques are, and just keep practicing until it all comes together. Sounds like you're determined this time, so as long as you can put the time in, you'll succeed - especially now you've joined here, and have a world of experts to help you stay on track.

Hi from Texas! I also learned control & reductions by practicing with Wicked on a glass picture frame. Just about everything else I learned on here & Youtube videos. Looking forward to seeing your art evolve.

Welcome aboard from New Zealand. Good way to learn, glass is pretty unforgiving... :)

welcome from Australia.
the practising on glass is definitely the way to go, less waste, unforgiving surface and as Squishy stated, once you get it all happening on the glass, transferring to paper is easy. The hard part is getting it to look like anything LOL
Now your brain cells have pushed out all that useless hair you have more brain cells to concentrate and understand this isn't going to be a small learning curve, but once you get over the standard newbie frustrations of clogged brushes, spiders, reduction formula's and color theory its fun. (really it is) and I'm weird but I actually enjoyed all the newbie challenges, it meant I was learning something.

Welcome home Darren
It is nice to have you here. Yes when I first started I too expected it to be fast and easy to learn due to all the videos make it look so easy . But NOPE ! that is never the case . you can not replace practice and hard work.
I will have to do some more looking at zbrush I mainly use formz frmo Autodesk here at work but I am always looking for other programs that might aid in the 3D printing .
If you can paint on glass you can paint on anything and it is a great way to really learn control and how reduction of paint acts.

Hi Mr Micron,

I have not tried Form Z , but Zbrush is coming out with something called Core soon. The BPR render gives out many passes as guides and to print out 3d printing. Yes glass has been fun, helps you understand the control and paint reduction a lot , a few spiders here and there but simple to wash and restart.
Many thanks.

welcome from Australia.
the practising on glass is definitely the way to go, less waste, unforgiving surface and as Squishy stated, once you get it all happening on the glass, transferring to paper is easy. The hard part is getting it to look like anything LOL
Now your brain cells have pushed out all that useless hair you have more brain cells to concentrate and understand this isn't going to be a small learning curve, but once you get over the standard newbie frustrations of clogged brushes, spiders, reduction formula's and color theory its fun. (really it is) and I'm weird but I actually enjoyed all the newbie challenges, it meant I was learning something.
I think the newbie challenges sounds fun, plus colour theory....wish i went to art school now !!! :)

Hi from Texas! I also learned control & reductions by practicing with Wicked on a glass picture frame. Just about everything else I learned on here & Youtube videos. Looking forward to seeing your art evolve.
Many thanks :)

Hi Darran from a fellow Brit. In a way ABing is a bit like learning an instrument. You got to know how to get everything in tune, and what all the techniques are, and just keep practicing until it all comes together. Sounds like you're determined this time, so as long as you can put the time in, you'll succeed - especially now you've joined here, and have a world of experts to help you stay on track.
Thank you , I think I have a bit of time on my hands, so its a good idea to knuckle down :)

I think the newbie challenges sounds fun, plus colour theory....wish i went to art school now !!! :)
I've survived so far without art school or colour theory ... although I can see that colour theory will be handy :confused: so I'd better knuckle down !!

I've survived so far without art school or colour theory ... although I can see that colour theory will be handy :confused: so I'd better knuckle down !!
I went to the wing it school of colour that'll do theory, and passed with close enough, almost off the ground, nearly flying colours lol.

No such thing as messed up colour right? Its artistic interpretation lol lol lol.

Back