M’s Artist log/development

Maryf:
I’m away in the campervan tonight, I grabbed some paper, oil pastels (which I’ve never tried before,‘they’re actually great fun) and a pencil and rubber. I know this is a bit messy but I quite like it like that, it feels a bit rebellious. I’m looking forward to exploring airbrush and oil pastels when I get back, my son is house and cat sitting.
I would have liked to have done more but the daylights gone.

Impressive work, @Maryf I love it. I also love campervans, lucky you 😊
You're always thinking about creating art wherever you are 👏👏👏👏

Maryf:
I’m away in the campervan tonight, I grabbed some paper, oil pastels (which I’ve never tried before,‘they’re actually great fun) and a pencil and rubber. I know this is a bit messy but I quite like it like that, it feels a bit rebellious. I’m looking forward to exploring airbrush and oil pastels when I get back, my son is house and cat sitting.
I would have liked to have done more but the daylights gone.

Impressive work, @Maryf I love it. I also love campervans, lucky you 😊
You're always thinking about creating art wherever you are 👏👏👏👏
Thanks very much Juanma. I was reluctant to leave the house because I always think I’ve got too much to do but it really is great to leave all the things behind that we imagine are important, but going away with no toys to play with would be boring 🤣🤗.
Yes we’re very fortunate to have our van, thank you 🙏
I’m going to use this same reference imagine again when I get back using some of the knowledge I’ve picked up about airbrushing techniques to see what happens.
Have you used oil pastels!

Thanks very much Juanma. I was reluctant to leave the house because I always think I’ve got too much to do but it really is great to leave all the things behind that we imagine are important, but going away with no toys to play with would be boring 🤣🤗.
Yes we’re very fortunate to have our van, thank you 🙏
I’m going to use this same reference imagine again when I get back using some of the knowledge I’ve picked up about airbrushing techniques to see what happens.
Have you used oil pastels!
I used pastels a long time ago, as well as charcoal, and other drawing techniques when I was attending an academy to prepare myself for a career in fine arts, which I didn't achieve because I was a bad student of other boring subjects for me. I have to admit that I'm quite fearful when I have to combine different techniques, maybe it's my brain, which prevents me from exploring unknown terrains 😅

I used pastels a long time ago, as well as charcoal, and other drawing techniques when I was attending an academy to prepare myself for a career in fine arts, which I didn't achieve because I was a bad student of other boring subjects for me. I have to admit that I'm quite fearful when I have to combine different techniques, maybe it's my brain, which prevents me from exploring unknown terrains 😅
Aww that’s a shame, which bits were boring?
I think your brain is telling you, you need to focus on airbrushing because that’s your mission for the moment 🤣

Aww that’s a shame, which bits were boring?
I think your brain is telling you, you need to focus on airbrushing because that’s your mission for the moment 🤣
Let's see if this time I can focus on just airbrushing 😂 I didn't take the entrance exam for fine arts because I didn't pass the last year in high school, with subjects like mathematics and chemistry. 😩 Fortunately, a few years later I took the university entrance exam for the over-25s and passed, but I don't see myself at university anymore. 😕

Let's see if this time I can focus on just airbrushing 😂 I didn't take the entrance exam for fine arts because I didn't pass the last year in high school, with subjects like mathematics and chemistry. 😩 Fortunately, a few years later I took the university entrance exam for the over-25s and passed, but I don't see myself at university anymore. 😕
You’re having fun no matter what. 🤗

Very very nice pastel work Mary.
Cute girl with a bit of attitude. Well done.

We used to go (tent) camping often, a bit old for that now (at least that's what I'm told). Love the campervan idea. It's on the list now the herd of kids are moving out.

Very very nice pastel work Mary.
Cute girl with a bit of attitude. Well done.

We used to go (tent) camping often, a bit old for that now (at least that's what I'm told). Love the campervan idea. It's on the list now the herd of kids are moving out.
Thanks very much Joe, she was much prettier in the reference photo 😄, but thought she definitely had more attitude in my attempt 🙏.
If you’re in a position to get a campervan I would recommend it. (Make sure your bed is as comfortable as can be)

"a bit old for that now (at least that's what I'm told)." …..That’s shocking 🤣🤣

Tonight’s experiment, I printed out the image, cut out her face, sprayed the background and hair, scratched into her hair, randomly mostly as it’s the first time I’ve used Yupo and scratching and I was impatient, then I played with applying oil pastels onto the Yupo paper, the oil pastel goes on brilliantly but comes off just as brilliantly as you would imagine, I don’t think oil paint ever sets🤣, I’ve not googled much about it, I’m not sure what would fix it, if anything, I then painted her eyes and eyebrows with a tiny brush and airbrush compatible paint, it wiped off thankfully but there’s a little bit definition left, anyway, interesting experiment. I didn’t do much to this because I’m going to try to fix it with something tomorrow and it might all dissolve.
I really have to start proper exercises, I am pressing down too hard on the trigger, but I’m beginning to remember to keep the air on, pity there wasn’t a button that keeps the trigger pressed down.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 24
I sprayed hairspray over the very thin layer of oil pastel and it fixed it, maybe it would have dried anyway, it seems I can add more oil pastel over that layer as well

I had a little play again today/tonight in between laundry and stuff, this is supposed to be an experimental piece (streaks, scores, blotches ) so if I continue to play with it and it looks ok in the end it’s never going to be perfect. Thanks for looking, listening, commenting and helping me not feel that I’m a solitary artist😃🙏. I think that’s what’s precious about the paint pal 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 17
That's great, Mary, honestly. I like the way you play with the different tones, and the woman's expression is very well done. I have the opposite with airbrushing, I have a trigger phobia and can spend many seconds aiming at a point just spraying air.

That's great, Mary, honestly. I like the way you play with the different tones, and the woman's expression is very well done. I have the opposite with airbrushing, I have a trigger phobia and can spend many seconds aiming at a point just spraying air.
Thank you Juanma 🙏, I think I’ve taken the application of oil pastel as far as I can, it would maybe work on the non detailed areas as an initial first layer (applying with a cotton bud is a hit or a miss but nice to create blending ) but that might be its limit on synthetic paper, but if you have good control of an airbrush (which I don’t yet) the airbrush will do what I’m trying to do with the pastels no doubt, the advantage of using the pastels in the first layer, if any, might be the ease and speed of covering small areas of colour blends but I don’t know enough to compare yet, as I’m still a baby airbrusher 🤣
So now the time has come for me to try to apply paint over it with an airbrush 🤣

Thank you Juanma 🙏, I think I’ve taken the application of oil pastel as far as I can, it would maybe work on the non detailed areas as an initial first layer (applying with a cotton bud is a hit or a miss but nice to create blending ) but that might be its limit on synthetic paper, but if you have good control of an airbrush (which I don’t yet) the airbrush will do what I’m trying to do with the pastels no doubt, the advantage of using the pastels in the first layer, if any, might be the ease and speed of covering small areas of colour blends but I don’t know enough to compare yet, as I’m still a baby airbrusher 🤣
So now the time has come for me to try to apply paint over it with an airbrush 🤣
I understand you perfectly. I keep telling myself that what I do is for myself, it doesn't matter if I do it wrong, but for some reason there is always that little voice inside me that asks me to make it perfect. Doesn't it happen to you? In any case, you use more techniques than I do, which makes you richer in resources. I miss the pastels, but I hated how dirty my hands always were 😂.

Back