My first attempts at the exercises

• Thread starter worldofglasscraft
  • Start date
Cheers Malky,
The piece is A4 (cheaper Asda Smart Price Paper) I think a thicker paper would give a better result, and I recalll you saying you practiced on cloth not paper which I do intend to move onto once I have cracked Mitchs basics.
I used an Iwata Eclipse with a 0.35-mm needle. I take note of the 15psi you started with and give that a go.
(I look forward to seeing some of your practice pieces in due course mate)

For airbrushing on paper, it's better to use paper higher than 150gsm, but you can still use this paper just for practice, ignore the fact that it gets soggy since it'll be thrown away, for a first practice piece on A4, you can be proud.

I didn't practice everything on cloth, the skull you saw is on cloth, the rest is paper, I now have 180gsm photo quality cardboard.

you did really good with that. I have been practicing off and on about a year and I am just now doing the practice lessons. sorry the point of me posting mine was to show you that the practice will help you a great deal. you really need the practice lessons i should have started there but this website wasnt around at the time. I was having a real hard time controlling the ab. bute after alot of practice I am getting a little better. they are right about the paint, it makes a big difference.

I'm glad you posted eenasha so don't be sorry.
Please post your next practice piece I want to see it so I have standards to aim for and achieve.

First, WAY COOL for you to show your practice work on this.
I do not know what airbrush you use or how you hold it... but as mentioned you do not have to give full paint all the time... AND YOU do not have to give full air either.
I run 40psi and spray on metal, cloth, paper.. with slightly reduced or way over reduced paints. It is all about controlling both air and paint with the trigger.

I DO believe it is far easier to dial back to 15psi, but call me lazy!!! LOL!!! I just hold my trigger in a way that I am able to do both down and back with a controlled motion. Not sure it works for anyone else, but make my life easier.

eenasha, I do like that hooded character you painted.

mad dog do you believe in karma, cause your headed for excrement load of crap lollololololo

Hi every one I'm new to airbrushing and to this forum. And this afternoon I did 5 sheets of dots. I know that practice is the key to become comfortable with the airbrush gun but I get a little frustrated this afternoon and I'm not sure what to blame.

Here are 2 pics of one of my sheets

One the 1st one you can see splatters
IMGP0762.JPG

And on this one (it's hard to see) there is a sort of overspray fog around my dots.

IMGP0763.jpg

My problem is that I can't get decent sharp dots like on the printed sheet, watever I try there is always an overspray around them, it's more niticable on biggest dots. When it comes to the smallest one I can't get close enough to the paper to make a small well defined dot, if i get close, I have a splatter instead of a dot. I tried a lot of stuffs dropping air pressure, changing viscosity of paint, changing distance between airbrush tip and paper, but here were nothing that worked flawlessly. Also I get a loooot of tip dry (2 to 3 dots, and have to clean the needle tip)

I have an iwata eclipse bcs, and used it from 1 to 2,5 bars (best results with 2,5bars), tried the milk concistency first for the paint, but the smaller dots were too hard to make without "splattering", I tried a little thicker, but I had to increase pressure and it still dit splatters.

I used art acrylic called louvres, thinned with water, it's like liquitex but a little cheaper.

Could someone please tell me what I have to do?

Still spray dots and they will become good, change some settings to paint or compressor, maybe change paint?

Thank to anyone could help me on this one!

Welcome to the forum. post a new thread about yourself.
5 pages of dots eh? only 4k more pages to go then :)

Hi every one I'm new to airbrushing and to this forum. And this afternoon I did 5 sheets of dots. I know that practice is the key to become comfortable with the airbrush gun but I get a little frustrated this afternoon and I'm not sure what to blame.

Here are 2 pics of one of my sheets

One the 1st one you can see splatters
View attachment 2294

And on this one (it's hard to see) there is a sort of overspray fog around my dots.

View attachment 2295

Hi Poulpenfeu,

Like Worldofglasscraft said introduce your in the intro section, and post this in a thread of your own, your second page is actually very good and the mist around your dots is normal, so you don't need to blame anything really, experiment a little with different pressures and thinning until you find a combination your happy with, the spidering you got in the first could have been paint too thin or water in your compressor coming out with the paint.

And a big welcome to the forum

Thank you for your answer, I have just introduced myself. I didn't used a filter, but when I was spraying air only, the air looked dry, I didn't thougt water in air could do something like that. I will be too busy tomorrow to try but will let you know. I will also try to use airbrush lube, not sure what it will do but maybe it could help. I'm just starting out, and don't want to cut corners, but i'm not sure what to look for to go to the next step? Do most of airbrushers make perfect dots each time? It seems there is a long way to go hehe.

Back