Paint choice for Halloween Latex Prosthetic

K

kronek67

Has anyone every airbrushed a latex prosthetics? I'm making a Halloween costume with a full head skull prosthetic. I'm trying to decide on what paint to use. I would prefer something permanent so I can reuse it without having to repaint. On this piece it is ok if the paint is not made for the skin. I will paint it before applying and where it blends to the skin will be black. I'm using black airbrush tattoo paint on my skin that I will take right to the prosthetic for the transition.

I'm thinking about using body paint on the prosthetic too. Either water based or alcohol based. I have both, but finding the right colors for bone may be a little tricky.

Is there a Createx line tat will work and have the colors needed for bone?

I'm doing my own research too. I just wanted to see if anyone has already done this and had any advice.

Needs to be a latex based paint or will have adhesion issues and cracking. Monster makers I think has a line of latex mask paint.

I'll check them out. I have seen where a lot of people are mixing acrylic paint into liquid latex or pros aide adhesive. I'm curious if I could mix body paint into liquid latex. Now that I think of it, I have painted latex before with a water based body paint and it held up better than it did on the skin. I'll check out monster makers and see what I can find.

Ok, turns out the paint I have is made for prosthetics too. I just don't have the right colors for a skull.

From what I'm seeing, my primary colors will be White, Black and Brown. And I will need Red and Yellow to modify those colors and get the correct shades for a skull. Does this sound about right?

I have spent too much as is and trying to limit how much paint I need to buy.

Krone - sorry I can't help you out on the color thing. I did see a post on bone and skull colors not too long ago. If I can find it I will post the link.

Krone - sorry I can't help you out on the color thing. I did see a post on bone and skull colors not too long ago. If I can find it I will post the link.

I was looking at some. A lot seam to use a rootbeer color. That is one I don't have or can get in this type of paint. So I ordered brown. I'm hoping I can mix colors to get the right shades. I ordered extra black and white and some brown. Colors I have to mix with them are Yellow, Red, Blue, Purple, Green and Pink. I think I should be able to get something close from all of that.

I'm going to check the other skull post to see where I need to start for mixing colors.

Best luck with it - I'm sure someone knowledable (unlike myself) will give you some guidance

Createx illustration has a latex additive that can be used. Developed for the bloodline series, since Tim Gore helped develop the colors, and he does this type of work.

Createx illustration has a latex additive that can be used. Developed for the bloodline series, since Tim Gore helped develop the colors, and he does this type of work.
If it's the one I'm thinking about, they call it "5092- Bloodline Flexible Adhesion Promoter". I think it's applied as a bonding primer, to which Createx Illustration paints are applied over it, rather than as an additive to the paints.

The rootbeer which I use is a kandy. It's used because over an almond base color it's the only other color you need, fades from light brown to a dark almost black brown with consecutive passes or adding black to speed it up. It can be achieved without a kandy just not as fast and requires a little more mixing. Also reason typically for adding just a touch of red to the yellow and white base mix is to prevent brown from shifting pink. I don't know if it does this with waterbased or transparents, but with a urethane kandy rootbeer will shift pink without it for whatever reason.

Back