Paint comes out with "air only" trigger position

Juanma

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hi all, I've been looking for this thread and either I didn't know how to look for it or I didn't find it, sorry if this has been discussed before.
The problem is that when I press the trigger in "air only" mode the paint comes out. I have disassembled and cleaned several times and the problem still occurs. I have to say that the cleanings were not too deep, but enough to fix other atomization problems on other occasions. The needle and nozzle seem to be fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance 🙂

What brush ?

It is usually the needle not seating properly that causes this, either a damaged nozzle or a bit of dried paint stuck in there, so a deeper clean may be needed.

Yep, what @Kingpin said. ‘What brush’ and also what paint?
theres a good chance its dried paint related not allowing the needle to seat properly.

worse case you’ve split or flared the nozzle but more commonly it’s paint.

for Createx paints get a small bottle of restorer put some in a small sealable solvent proof jar and soak the nozzle overnight, then use your needle GENTLY to scrape out the inside of the nozzle, you’ll be surprised what comes out.
dont discard the restorer from the jar when your done. Just keep it sealed for next time.

If you are not confident with cleaning with your needle like jackeb said, try a splinter of matchstick, i prefer that, with my shakes I would end up with needles with very arty scrolls on every end 😂

Hi,
Like others have said, the needle is not seating properly in the nozzle and not sealing. Check the nozzle for any crack or deformation. Make sure it is clean inside and out. Also check the needle for any bend or scratch. Finally, make sure the needle is all the way forward when putting back together and tightening.
One more thing, make sure the needle and the nozzle match. If you mismatch say a fine needle with a heavy nozzle or vice-versa you could have issues as well.

Thanks,
Ismael

What brush ?

It is usually the needle not seating properly that causes this, either a damaged nozzle or a bit of dried paint stuck in there, so a deeper clean may be needed.
Gsi Creos .3
I'll make a deeper clean. Wish it's not the nozzle. Thank you so much 🙏

Yep, what @Kingpin said. ‘What brush’ and also what paint?
theres a good chance its dried paint related not allowing the needle to seat properly.

worse case you’ve split or flared the nozzle but more commonly it’s paint.

for Createx paints get a small bottle of restorer put some in a small sealable solvent proof jar and soak the nozzle overnight, then use your needle GENTLY to scrape out the inside of the nozzle, you’ll be surprised what comes out.
dont discard the restorer from the jar when your done. Just keep it sealed for next time.
Yeah, I used Createx. Ok, I'll do that. Thank you so much 🙏

Hi,
Like others have said, the needle is not seating properly in the nozzle and not sealing. Check the nozzle for any crack or deformation. Make sure it is clean inside and out. Also check the needle for any bend or scratch. Finally, make sure the needle is all the way forward when putting back together and tightening.
One more thing, make sure the needle and the nozzle match. If you mismatch say a fine needle with a heavy nozzle or vice-versa you could have issues as well.

Thanks,
Ismael
It seems they are fine, but I'll take a look again, just in case. Thank you all for the advice, I'll let you know about the result tomorrow, now I'm outside.

Well, it seems that the problem is solved, I did a deep cleaning of the airbrush and it's ready to work again. Thank you all very much for your advice.

Glad You got it sorted :)

It doesn't take much to stop the needle seating correctly and causing problems :)

Thank you Kingpin
Absolutely. The airbrush is a great but very delicate tool. 😕
Precision equipment not a delicate tool :)
they can be described as finicky but they’re not, they just have to be super clean to function correctly. A bit like the fuel injectors on a car, just a little bit of gunk causes issues

Precision equipment not a delicate tool :)
they can be described as finicky but they’re not, they just have to be super clean to function correctly. A bit like the fuel injectors on a car, just a little bit of gunk causes issues
Just the precision I'm lacking 😂
Lesson learned, clean up a lot a lot.

Back