PearlEx question

C

createinspain

Hi guys,
Dropping in to ask a question that may stop me getting in a mess! Normally I am using liquid watercolours in my brush, so I was interested when I came across a video where model makers were showing results of using a transparent base tinted with PearlEx ..
Now it just so happens that I have Pearlex for normal craft usage, so I am wondering if there is any info here on using the stuff in an airbrush.

The last thing I want is to get a bad clog and have to take nozzles out after 2 minutes! I know the best advice is on here, which is why I didn't leave a comment on the (old) video.

I have an Iwata (never had to remove the tip) but also a cheapie for craft use. I had a look at the tip and it's so tiny I really don't think I could reassemble it if I had to take it off!:) It has a 2mm needle.

I'm sure you mean 0.2mm. A 2mm needle is normally found in a spray gun and at that size you can spray almost anything. It all depends on the size of the pearl if it will clog or not. Al you can do is test and see if you can.

oops! That decimal ended up in the wrong place! Yes, probably, I just wanted to see if anyone else here had tried it (nothing like letting someone else make the mistake!)

0.2 is mighty fine. Not much get through that. I know the pearl paint from Daler Rowney is definitely not recommended for airbrushing and those come premixed.

as a rule of thumb you don't want to spray metalic's, pearls etc through anything smaller than a 0,5 (rule of thumb so there are exceptions...probably...don't know of any :p)

Won't try that then! Just checked and the largest I have is a .35.....

I tried mixing up some of my own pearl with that PearlEX powder and some lacquer base and it lasted about 15sec before it clogged. I was just using a cheapo Master airbrush so it wasn't a big deal and I just cleaned it out but now I know not to try it in my spendy rig.

For pearls you really want a .5 set up. Extra reduction as well , I have use HOK sg100 with dry pearl mixed in through a .35 set up without issue but the is urethane vs a waterbased.

Back