Running off CO2 tank vs Compressor

W

WisconsinGreenhorn

I have a CO2 tank that I tried to adapt to run a airbrush off of. Countless trips to harbor freight and local hardware stores yielded poor results (in hindsight airgas would have been a good place to start).
The noise of the compressor is harder to pull off in a apartment so I assumed a CO2 tank would be a better way to go (if you added all the filters needed to the line).
Is this a cost effective way to spray?
How long could you spray off a 40 lbs tank? A week or more?
Does anyone have experience with this? From what I read its more about getting water out of the line then anything else. My trouble was in the threading not matching properly with all the adapters used resulting in massive CO2 loss before it reached the AB. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

A 20lb tank should last around 8-10 hours at about 60psi. Really depends on how much you have air on time with the airbrush and what pressure you working at. Also humidity and sea level come into play as well due to the density. While quiet yes, cost effective not really. constant trips to have it refilled burns gas money and the cost of having them refilled. Add that up with how much you airbrush and I'd imagine the cost would quickly reach the price of a good compressor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

A 20lb tank should last around 8-10 hours at about 60psi. Really depends on how much you have air on time with the airbrush and what pressure you working at. Also humidity and sea level come into play as well due to the density. While quiet yes, cost effective not really. constant trips to have it refilled burns gas money and the cost of having them refilled. Add that up with how much you airbrush and I'd imagine the cost would quickly reach the price of a good compressor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Thanks 4 the info.

Hi, I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you but i recently made my own portable compressor with a scuba divers air tank, i originally was going to do a co2 cylinder but was advised that co2 can be a cause for freezing up the brushes so after a little thinking the obvious came to me with a divers tank as this obviously only uses normal air. with co2 cylinders they can only be filled with co2 and was told its highly dangerous to fill them with anything else but!
The most expensive part was the dive tank but i got a 15 litre in test tank second hand for £100. to refill with air cost a couple of quid and can get the filled at most gun or divers shops.
If your interested in how I did this I'm more than happy to share this either here or a new thread I guess under compressors? and will show you pics and explain how I done this. I have to say it works perfectly for what I do and would love to make another at some point :)

1506680_255918474582059_252743157_n.jpg1656161_255918464582060_273883968_n.jpg​I can run 6 airbrushes of this tank, Don't ask me how long the tank full of air will last as I'ive not yet worked that out but given what I use it for and the pressure I use it at it will last me a whole day on a moderate day at the market but that's purely guessing, it may last even longer than that.

Nice job, I see you are in the UK, here in the US scuba tanks have to be hydrostatically tested, if they don't pass they won't fill them.

Here in NC a refill costs about 8$ so between the cost of the tank, hydrostatic testing and refill charges it would add up quickly.

I would make sure the tank couldn't fall over, at close to 3000psi if the valve gets broken or the neck cracks it could get bad especially in a crowd.

Scuba Tank - Valve Cut - YouTube

Jim

It obviously has benefits but would drive me insane, running out of paint is one thing as I can see that coming but running out of air and then having to go out to refill it would be a pain..I suppose if you live around the corner from somewhere that can fill the co2 or scuba styled tanks its less of a drama.. I'm sure that these scuba tanks are just filled with a compressor anyway(maybe wrong there?) and setting a standard compressor up at home to fill it at the start of the day may be a good alternative or using other resevours for a similar purpose..GL

Greenhorn- do a search online looking up how to build a silent compressor using refigerator parts. I've seen multiple people who've done it, and they all at least claim it works great. lol.

Otherwise, the better-quality "silent" airbrush compressors are actually very quiet, and work great with airbrushes. They definitely aren't cheap, though.

Just a few alternatives to think about...

I really feel for you poor buggers that live in apartment blocks..My thought would be to use a normal compressor and just turn your music up so it doesn't annoy the neighbors LOL..What floor of the building are ya on, perhaps a long hose from your car parked downstairs LOL..But yer maybe a silent compressor of some description may be your best bet..GL

Greenhorn- do a search online looking up how to build a silent compressor using refigerator parts. I've seen multiple people who've done it, and they all at least claim it works great. lol.

Otherwise, the better-quality "silent" airbrush compressors are actually very quiet, and work great with airbrushes. They definitely aren't cheap, though.

Just a few alternatives to think about...
Right on, I already bought a airbrush compressor but it was more about being portable. I made this rigging which I wrote about in another post> it was portable jump starter connected via cig lighter to a 150 watt power inverter with a grounded plug attached to the 140 watt airbrush compressor attached to the neo. I was spraying for about 15 min's on this step up and I blew the inverter.
I dont even know if its a good idea to run off the battery or a running truck since the compressor is such a energy draw and a battery power dimishes if not running.

Back