For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Schmincke Aero Opak Medium

Discussion in 'Airbrush Paints' started by AndreZA, Mar 2, 2017.

1. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

I'm a big fan of Schmincke products. I like the Aero colours and their Horadam watercolours. So when I saw this Aero Opak Medium that turns transparent paints opaque, I were sold and ordered a bottle from our local distributor. It only took 3 months to get here but that was okay. I could not beat the price no matter where I bought it overseas. They have in the meantime, came out with an opaque line which I think can be interesting as well.

The most transparent paints I have are my E'tac Marissa colours. I used the Arylide yellow and Forrest green. I drew a white line on the black paper, which I sealed by the way, with a paint marker. I then filled the cup with 6 drops of paint and layed everything on the paper. As you can see it changed the white but almost nothing on the black.

aero_opak_paint_only.jpg

I then made up more cups with 4 drops of paint and 2 drops of Aero Opak Medium. They recommend not to go over 50% in the mixture. I could already see the colour change in the cup. I sprayed it over the line on the paper. Firstly it lays down a bit dark but then it flashes and turns to a milky pastel colour.

aero_opak_paint_opak.jpg

So I thought, this stuff basically buffers the colours just like white would. I then sprayed just the medium to see what it does. Just as I thought. It is white after it flashes off but the interesting part is that you can smudge it just like you do with soft pastels. It looks to me like it is just a white pigment in some kind of binder that flashes off and just leaves the pigment behind.

aero_opak_opak_only.jpg

Conclusion
    I don't think I will use it with my colour paints as I do not buffer my colours. Adding it to white to make it more opaque could be a good idea though.
    LovesArt and frowan like this.
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Interesting. I don't use opaques too much as I don't like the chalky look. However, that really does look like pastels, so would give a cool look if you wanted to purposely go that route, though maybe not for everyday use.
    LovesArt likes this.
  3. frowan

frowan Needle-chuck Ninja

Nice research Andre! Thanks for sharing

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    LovesArt likes this.