white/black or black over white

T

tucky

is there an advantage to spraying white on black....the thing that i notice ,if i screw up and can just back over it with white......sometime i need someone to tie my shoes for me...da.....thanks advantage and disadvantages of both if anyone knows

Personally, i do not like using straight black on white. It just does not do it for me. I like white on black more because it is easier to correct mistakes by spraying black over it. White is inherently harder to work with than black. A lot more tip dry. Not too hard to solve though with the right reduction. I hope this helps...

The advantages and disadvantages prob are dependent on the reference and what your wanting to paint..White on black can be a challenge for some due to how white generally sprays so many avoid it..Get your reductions right and for me its a joy and much easier in the long run as if you do make a boo boo its easier to fix (As all you need to do is black it out) than black on white which yes you can fix with white but in many cases will get bad blue shift..Black covers white spray much easier than white covering black spray and looks a lot less obvious..If its a heavy shadowed reference there is less work imo to replicate that on a black substrate than on a white. if its a very highlighted piece its prob less effort doing the ref on a white substrate, so for me the advantages and disadvantages kinda balance each other out pending on the reference needs..and most of the advantages come down to a time thing. If your not in a rush either or will do as ultimately the same result can be achieved, its more to do with your comfort levels in utilizing white...

thanks zo....the only problem i have is keeping up with my line drawing...any fix on that

well i notice that white obliterates my line drawing a lot quicker.....just wondering if you guys have any tips on saving them....btw rebel saw your body painting on wab community great work.

^ Ah OK, I assume your using a white pencil instead of a greylead? If not that would be the easiest way and it also suggests that your white may not be reduced enough, after the first layering of white to get your main shapes and fade needs in you shld still be able to just see your ref drawing. It doesnt matter too much if you loose it after that layer as the image will be mapped out for ya..Maybe reduce your white some more m8 or use a white pencil a little heavier..and I havent done any body painting for years m8 so may be someone else using my tag, cld ya link me as there can only be one RebelAir LOLOL, if there is more I wanna know so I can hunt em down, chop of their heads and get all their power ;)

Looks like you got some nice info here. I forgot to mention the blue shift. that is the primary reason i do not like using straight black...

thanks zo thats was what i was wondering about....i notice no blue shift...

I do it both ways. BUT, if your airbrushing white on black, it is easier to fix oops. Black on white is more challenging. Just depends on what im doing. My paint pal, was done with 3 colors, on white (IF) It ever reaches its destination, you wont see any white in it.

hey tucky!!!!!!!!!!!! white on black as you know i used to love!!, for transfer and not losing your drawing, try sarral paper.... they make graphite paper but also a white trace down paper for working on black you may find this keeps your drawing a little longer...... you already know about shift and adding orange etc, so i wont tell you about that..... black is a very dirty paint to use, the overspray goes everywhere and even with a sandable board is hard to scuff back clean, you could try making very close to black by mixing burnt umber and ultramarine blue? advantage being it is a (in the etac range) still using 2 trans colours rather than an opaque

I actually like working on white over black. I do it quite a lot as most bike tanks etc I do are black. I am an odd bod who finds white easier to work with, sprays cleaner, less tip dry etc. But it can take longer especially if you want bright colours as you have to do it all in white first, and build it up so that the colour looks good when you add it. Painting on white can be quicker for colour I think, and is good for erasing (not that I am any good at it lol).

I normally work from white but on the aborted Grim Reaper I started with Black because all the folds were originally meant to be high lights with a transparent wash.
From now on I will give my base colour a lot more thought and maybe not just go straight for white. Horses for course from now on :)

^ Ah OK, I assume your using a white pencil instead of a greylead? If not that would be the easiest way and it also suggests that your white may not be reduced enough, after the first layering of white to get your main shapes and fade needs in you shld still be able to just see your ref drawing. It doesnt matter too much if you loose it after that layer as the image will be mapped out for ya..Maybe reduce your white some more m8 or use a white pencil a little heavier..and I havent done any body painting for years m8 so may be someone else using my tag, cld ya link me as there can only be one RebelAir LOLOL, if there is more I wanna know so I can hunt em down, chop of their heads and get all their power ;)
Hey, Reb.
Don't you mean get their Airbrush / gear as well?

I go for black on white. Just for the simple facts of not having blue shift, and also you use less paint. Just dont screw up LOL

Back