Iwata closeout - I pulled the trigger

I have to admit. I went for it a couple months ago. I bought three HP-SBS brushes and one HP-AH. They all arrived in the typical Iwata boxes, so I avoided the bubble-wrap packaging. Looking back, I think I overreacted getting three identical SBS brushes. What was I expecting? Maybe I will gift one.
Don't feel so bad. I got the custom micron a few months ago, then decided to grab an eclipse as well. 😅 I'm deep in bubble wrap territory I'm sure.

I have to admit. I went for it a couple months ago. I bought three HP-SBS brushes and one HP-AH. They all arrived in the typical Iwata boxes, so I avoided the bubble-wrap packaging. Looking back, I think I overreacted getting three identical SBS brushes. What was I expecting? Maybe I will gift one.
Well no worries I'll be your friend Schick 👋 😂🤣😂
Good news Iwata's depressiates like ice melts at the north pole

Sounds like a forum competition/raffle idea to me!😂

Schick, I am new to airbrushing and am wondering what your experience is with with the HP-SBS. My interest is how much difference the side cup makes for visibility of your work and the level of increased precision that allows, sir. Feel free to share as much detail as you like about your likes & dislikes concerning your experience with this brush. I've never used one and would love to know your thoughts. Thank you! (waves from British Columbia) :)

Schick, I am new to airbrushing and am wondering what your experience is with with the HP-SBS. My interest is how much difference the side cup makes for visibility of your work and the level of increased precision that allows, sir. Feel free to share as much detail as you like about your likes & dislikes concerning your experience with this brush. I've never used one and would love to know your thoughts. Thank you! (waves from British Columbia) :)
I love the visibility of a side-feed airbrush. It keeps the airbrush more centered in front of me, rather than me peering at my work from the side a bit. Also, maybe I am just weird, and like the idea of a side-feed. :)

I love the visibility of a side-feed airbrush. It keeps the airbrush more centered in front of me, rather than me peering at my work from the side a bit. Also, maybe I am just weird, and like the idea of a side-feed. :)
That's excellent. I've only recently taken a harder look into airbrushing as it seems moving in that direction may help speed things up in the studio. I bought an Eclipse ages ago without knowing the side-cup option was available - which I would have preferred for the reasons you've stated. I haven't used it much, and am kicking myself for not having done enough research at the time.

I'm currently in the States for Christmas and am looking forward to returning home & making using the airbrush part of my regular routine. Received some Createx Illustration as a gift, and am looking forward to trying them out for the very first time.

Depending on your needs you may want to look at an A cup model brush. There is no cup, the brush body is the cup. If you mainly spray small areas one of these may work for you. If you have large areas to cover it would need refilled too often and would not be practical. The HP-A and HP-AH are both on closeout at Iwata as is the Eclipse SBS.

The A and AH both have 0.20mm needle/nozzles where the Eclipse uses a 0.35mm N/N.

Food for thought.:)

2Diverse, these are great suggestions. The work that I'd be doing is quite large and would necessitate frequent refills and, as you've stated, would be impractical. I was just there looking into the close-out page of their website, but it does not appear that you can buy them. I could not find anything 'click' on the page, just the recommendation to find 'local dealers for more competitive prices'. Any suggestions?

That's excellent. I've only recently taken a harder look into airbrushing as it seems moving in that direction may help speed things up in the studio. I bought an Eclipse ages ago without knowing the side-cup option was available - which I would have preferred for the reasons you've stated. I haven't used it much, and am kicking myself for not having done enough research at the time.

I'm currently in the States for Christmas and am looking forward to returning home & making using the airbrush part of my regular routine. Received some Createx Illustration as a gift, and am looking forward to trying them out for the very first time.
I have to say I am not as fond of side feeds,, as much as a standard gravity "B" cup. There is less cleaning, color changes are easier with way fewer nocks and crannies, no weight imbalance, no paint cups falling off and less spills with those open top HP-SBS slight grav/ siphon cups for a tiny bit better visuals over the cup
Now if your painting like a Fruit Bat 😁 or you can not move the object to spray its surface with horizontalish airbrush or your paint requirement volume is over 40milliliters then yeah grab a side feed. But these are the only times I use a side feed

I went to the site and checked. It looks like all the closeout brushes are sold out.

Sorry.

2Diverse, these are great suggestions. The work that I'd be doing is quite large and would necessitate frequent refills and, as you've stated, would be impractical. I was just there looking into the close-out page of their website, but it does not appear that you can buy them. I could not find anything 'click' on the page, just the recommendation to find 'local dealers for more competitive prices'. Any suggestions?
Hello,

If you are painting larger areas my suggestion is a bottom/siphon feed airbrush with either a medium or large nozzle/needle combo for better coverage. That's what I use 99% of the time: Badger 150 IL (Medium). I have no experience with Iwata but I think their BCS is the bottom feed model.

And for really big jobs (REALLY big) an external mix firehose like a Paasche H or Badger 350.

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

If you are painting larger areas my suggestion is a bottom/siphon feed airbrush with either a medium or large nozzle/needle combo for better coverage. That's what I use 99% of the time: Badger 150 IL (Medium). I have no experience with Iwata but I think their BCS is the bottom feed model.

And for really big jobs (REALLY big) an external mix firehose like a Paasche H or Badger 350.

Thanks,
Ismael
This is the exact setup I use for large coverage as well - badger 150 medium siphon with fairly large bottom paint jars.

Imo visibility on an airbrush is not really an issue with most setups until you start getting into very large paint cups (side or top). And even then it's only reduced visibility from one sight-line, in which case adapting to painting with more of a side view or top view to your airbrush (working around the cup) works just fine.

The side siphon cups are interesting because the cup rotates. So if you're painting more vertically, the cup can be rotated to prevent paint spill. They also provide good sight line over the top of the brush if that matters for your particular purposes.

Hello,

Thanks,
Ismael
Ismael,

Thank you for the suggestion! I create hyperrealistic images on 30” x 40” sheets of 300 lbs hot pressed watercolour paper, sir. They’re huge pieces with tons of detail.

I typically use MICRON pens and brushes for all those tiny features. I bought a gravity fed Eclipse along with s bottom feeder a few years ago, neither of which I’ve used much. I purchased them without knowing there were more detail-centric brushes to work with.

At the moment I’m considering the Iwata Custom Micron Takumi on the Blair site or the 2024 Harder & Steenbeck Infinity. But I understand I have a lot to learn about what else is out there! 🧐😎

Any thoughts on either of these brushes?

Joe, does Iwata have a close out sale every year, or was this one something unusual?
I was late to the game so missed out on the full experience of seeing what what available.
I'm look ing their HP-AH they have there now, but haven't decided if it's something I'll be able to use. The price kind of makes the argument all it's own, but I can't just buy any old thing, LOL!

Anyway, do they do an annual close-out, or was this a once in a lifetime kind of thing?

Joe, does Iwata have a close out sale every year, or was this one something unusual?
I was late to the game so missed out on the full experience of seeing what what available.
I'm look ing their HP-AH they have there now, but haven't decided if it's something I'll be able to use. The price kind of makes the argument all it's own, but I can't just buy any old thing, LOL!

Anyway, do they do an annual close-out, or was this a once in a lifetime kind of thing?
sorry to say it is not a common thing. Everything they put on closeout were models that they removed from the line, and will no longer be offering. Some of them great models that will be missed.

Thanks, Dave.
I was hoping their inventory might've added something to their close out page. Doesn't look that way.
Appears as though shoppers are once again able to place items in their basket for purchases.
I *might* be able to use that AH for detail work sometime down the road! :) Not trying to convince myself - nope, not me!

I noticed that the shopping cart thing kind of went away during the holiday season... it could have been that they were closed, so could not have been shipping during that time frame - instead sending business to local dealers. Complete guess on my part - but, yes, we are always convincing ourselves... I already have an HP-AH and just looking at the price, I am tempted to buy another.

For what it's worth I'd sent them an email asking about the site. They replied it was "closed" during inventory.
They mentioned it would re-open on the 15th, but appears to be working now.

Dave, what are your thoughts on the AH having worked with it? As it seems it's detail oriented, may I ask how much spray time you might typically get out of a 'cup' before refilling or changing colour? The close out price is attractive and if you don't have to refill/change too quickly/frequently, I can imagine using something like this quite a lot (once I get some technique under my belt.

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on it?

For what it's worth I'd sent them an email asking about the site. They replied it was "closed" during inventory.
They mentioned it would re-open on the 15th, but appears to be working now.

Dave, what are your thoughts on the AH having worked with it? As it seems it's detail oriented, may I ask how much spray time you might typically get out of a 'cup' before refilling or changing colour? The close out price is attractive and if you don't have to refill/change too quickly/frequently, I can imagine using something like this quite a lot (once I get some technique under my belt.

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on it?
I will say that I find the .2 Iwata nozzle to be one of my most used nozzles by a landslide. The HP-BH is probably my most used brush, replacing the HP-B once I tried one (BH, that is). I'm a big fan of the A cup myself. I have quite a few of them, for sure. I generally knock out most of my work using a B cup, then switch to the A when getting down to the nitty gritty. You will be surprised how much you can accomplish with 3 or 4 drops of paint. If you need coverage of any sort of square inches, of course you will be better suited with a larger color cup - but if confined to just the details, you will find that you can just work.

Back