Over Spray

Ltank

Young Tutorling
I'm learning and practicing painting True Fire Flame paint job on a Eurathane Black Base coat. I have a Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and Harbor Freight Compressor with aine gallon tank.
Painting with HOK Eurathane paints. Molly Orange, Chrome Yellow base coats mixed 2:1 with RU-311 Medium Reducer.
The HOK Kandy Apple Red, Tangerine and Pagon Gold are mixed 2:1 HOK SG-100 Intercoat Clear and RU-311 with 10% by volume Kandy
I am getting a lot of rough textured over spray in the Black areas. I am now try to re learn painting closer at a lower pressure. From 35 down to 20 psi.
I see there's a difficult thing when painting closer of paint too20240211_171106.jpg heavy thick.
Too far back i get over spray.
Should I go 1:1 on Base coat and Kandy Intercoat mix? I am practicing with SG-100 Intercoat but now paint shop sold me S-00 Clear Carrier Intercoat. Should I mix it 1:1 for airbrush?

Hi,
Not sure if I fully understand your question, but before adjusting the mix, try lowering the pressure keeping the same mix ratio. See how it behaves. That way you eliminate one variable at a time. If at 20psi the paint does not flow properly, then add a bit more reducer.
Not sure how changing the base coat/kandy intercoat ratio may help with overspray.

Thanks,
Ismael

in Addition to Ismael’s suggestion, angle the brush away from where you don’t want the overspray.
normally ‘true fire’ is on a black background, ‘flames’ painted in white then the candy over the top. Candy won’t show on the black background once the whole thing is cleared

I'm try to reduce overspray from the Kandy paint. When I spray intercoat clear over it, it makes the grainyness very obvious not smooth surface on the black.
If I get too close to reduce overspray the paint doesn't lay correctly. I have tried thicker / thinner paint, various distances and pressures. I can't seem to get it right
Some paint was a Base Coat 2:1 for automotive. Thinking it should be 1:1 from a Airbrush.
Thanks

I'm try to reduce overspray from the Kandy paint. When I spray intercoat clear over it, it makes the grainyness very obvious not smooth surface on the black.
If I get too close to reduce overspray the paint doesn't lay correctly. I have tried thicker / thinner paint, various distances and pressures. I can't seem to get it right
Some paint was a Base Coat 2:1 for automotive. Thinking it should be 1:1 from a Airbrush.
Thanks
Sounds like you may be getting ‘dry spray’ - you are too far away from the surface and the atomised paint is drying before it hits the substrate.
take notice of how close body shop painters are to the car when they spray

Ok thanks. I'm spraying about 6" from surface. The Eurathane paint dries fast.
I'll paint closer at reduced pressure. I'll try 20 psi. Thanks

35 psi is the lowest i would go with for fire, i usually dont go below 40 or 45psi myself.
you need that air pressure to atomize for that loose flame look.
As far as reducing your overspray, i dont see much of an issue there.
I use a .5 needle and nozzle to help with that look, and dry spray, since you got so much more paint coming out of your gun its easier to keep it a bit more wet in my opinion.
Just keep a tack cloth close by and wipe it down before you start another coat of candy or intercoat clear. You will be amazed how much of that overspray comes off with that tack cloth.
Dont wipe at it with any pressure tho, and open that tack cloth up and fluff it out, dont use it straight out of the bag "flat". Not sure if you use them or not, but you definatly need some if not, they are cheap as hell and they last a long time.
I hope it helps you out a little.

Attachments

• thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail3.jpg
    thumbnail3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 6
Ok Thank You for your Help. This is all new to me. Spent a fortune on paint.
My Son's bike is the Ginny Pig then my bike.

Back