Stainless steel seal?

Joe Aubrey

Double Actioner
Is it possible there were old Iwatas that didn’t even have rubber packing seals, but instead “stainless steal” packing seals? A claim I just saw online…

Is it possible there were old Iwatas that didn’t even have rubber packing seals, but instead “stainless steal” packing seals? A claim I just saw online…
Got a picture? I like to see it. I have several old Iwata's / Olympos. Mine are all packed away right now. I don't remember seeing anything different other then Rubber O-ring/PTEF. DaveG might know.

There were some that had no packing seals... I don't know about stainless seals. The original Eclipse BCS brushes had no packing seal.

Were tolerances just good enough that paint didn’t pour into the back of the brush?
With siphon feed airbrushes, the paint only moves up through the siphon and through the fluid tip when the air pressure drops because of the active airstream. Once the pressure returns to atmospheric, the paint drops back down in the siphon tube because of gravity, whether the needle is retracted or not. The tolerances don't need to be nearly as precise as top/gravity feed or side feed airbrushes with a cup design that uses gravity. I would guess that if the viscosity is low enough, some fluid could eventually work it's way back into the body, especially if you cover the fluid nozzle to back flush, but would still likely be minimal. Full disclosure, I am NOT an airbrush expert, and the preceding observation is just speculation.

cricman

Once the pressure returns to atmospheric, the paint drops back down in the siphon tube because of gravity,
Yeah, that doesn't really work out - surface tension between the paint, needle and paint channel keep the brush plenty full of paint.

I have a ton of brushes that have no needle packing seal. They didn't become a thing for most brands until the 1940's. Thayer and Chandler brushes never had them, right up until the last day of production (the hole in the side of a Thayer Chandler brush was there so the body could occasionally be swabbed out with a qtip). On the Eclipse BCS, the brushes main market goal was the T-Shirt business. It was to be a direct competitor to the Paasche VL which was king of the boardwalk t-shirt booths. Due to the nature of the paint used in textiles, which rends to be a bit rubbery or gummy when drying out, it was thought a packing seal would not be necessary. Iwata actually counted on the brush forming it's own as paint gathered in the needle channel behind the siphon tube. Problem is, people clean their brushes more than needed...

My T&C Model As have no packing and I never get paint where it shouldn't be. Well, that might be my opinion, I'm sure plenty of people would think what ends up on the my canvas shouldn't be.

Back