Advice needed: which paint to buy for my new micron 0.18? (Combination with createx wicked)

M

maffie

Hello all!

A few weeks ago I was very lucky to buy to secondhand airbrushes. One Badger crescendo 175 new in box and a iwata custom micron cm-b allmost for free I think. I have payed €45,- for both.

I know that the iwata cm-b is a brush for people with lot of experience, and since I am a beginner i understand that it can Be hard for me. But my new iwata winks every day to me..so i can't ignore him (or her?).

Right now I use most of the time createx wicked and some wicked detail.
Is there a paint brand that you would advice me to use with the micron? The most importent thing is that I can spray it on top of the wicked paint, and that the pigments are fine enough.
I was thinking on Medea com-art, Because I was thinking that since it came from iwata Medea it should be good quality also?

Thanks for youre help!

Best wishes,
Maffie

Not sure ab out the top coating over the wicked but as paints the com-art is good, golden high flow is good, schminke is good, createx illustration is good, they all should work quite nicely.

I use wicked , Illustration (Createx) Com-art, HOK :D , Golden High Flow and all through a .18 set up on my micron and even in the .15 set up in my H&S infinity .
I do strain all my paint for the best possible flow I can get.
And you got a great deal on those two brushes even if you have to by a complete head unit for the micron you have a great deal.

Yeah as above just get some high performance reducer W500 thin it down till it flows to your needs, i get wicked through straight but pick the needle every 30'secs. Any acrylic paint will sit on top of wicked :)

All paints made specialy to be used with an airbrush will go through the micron (just have a look around here a lot of differnt brands are used with the mircron), which paint you want to use is up to you as there are as many oppinions as there are airbrushers.

I'ts easier to mention what NOT to use with a micron:
-Createx (the standard/original one), meant for tshirts will be very hard to get to flow nicely
-Almost any metalic (so watch out with autoair) as the particles will clog the nozzle

I'd say get a bottle of a dark color from a couple of the most used brands (Etac, Createx illustration, Comart etc) and do some monchrome stuff with them to see what brand suits you best.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I do have etac marissa paints and 2 bottles of com-art. I was not sure ifI can use them on top op the wicked paint.
But if it will not work together, I see some reaction directly? Or is it possible that the reaction shows up after a couple of days?

I use wicked , Illustration (Createx) Com-art, HOK :D , Golden High Flow and all through a .18 set up on my micron and even in the .15 set up in my H&S infinity .
I do strain all my paint for the best possible flow I can get.
And you got a great deal on those two brushes even if you have to by a complete head unit for the micron you have a great deal.

May I ask how do you strain youre paint?

Thanks for all the advice guys! I do have etac marissa paints and 2 bottles of com-art. I was not sure ifI can use them on top op the wicked paint.
But if it will not work together, I see some reaction directly? Or is it possible that the reaction shows up after a couple of days?
Go and look at the technical specs from the manufacturers - they cover suitable top coats, etc. That should always be your first port of call with a compatibility question. They will tell you if you can put a water based over a solvent, etc.

Go and look at the technical specs from the manufacturers - they cover suitable top coats, etc. That should always be your first port of call with a compatibility question. They will tell you if you can put a water based over a solvent, etc.
okey, Will do that! Thank you!

Or for future straining you can get automotive paint strainers from ebay for a few euro's. I don't see why you couldnt paint marissa efx or com-art over wicked. try it on some paper this is where we experiment as airbrushers

Lee

Last edited:

You can always use one water based on top of the other (I have mixed, used etc most brands and never had a problem), in most cases you can even mix them. I'd advise against that though (unless you have tested and know they won't give a problem) as some have some aditives in them that will react with the other paint, for instance E'tac mixed with Createx illustration will become a bit "gum like" and can clog the gun)

The only thing you can't do is spray a urethane on top of water based (some do it but unless you realy realy know how what when and where don't :p). Water based on top of urethane is no problem though.

Or for future straining you can get automotive paint strainers from ebay for a few euro's. I don't see why you couldnt paint marissa efx or com-art over wicked. try it on some paper this is where we experiment as airbrushers

Lee
Do you mean these strainers?

I was thinking they are to big for the small amounts I use..

Attachments

• 1000-1010-10153.jpg
    1000-1010-10153.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 24
You can always use one water based on top of the other (I have mixed, used etc most brands and never had a problem), in most cases you can even mix them. I'd advise against that though (unless you have tested and know they won't give a problem) as some have some aditives in them that will react with the other paint, for instance E'tac mixed with Createx illustration will become a bit "gum like" and can clog the gun)

The only thing you can't do is spray a urethane on top of water based (some do it but unless you realy realy know how what when and where don't :p). Water based on top of urethane is no problem though.
I hope that some day I have the optioneel to spray urethane, man I love the look of those! But right now, My first goal is to learn to airbrush properly. And maybe later learn how to use urethane. Because the ventilation is not good enough for that, and I think its more difficult/technical. ( i mean the open time between coats e.d.)

Do you mean these strainers?

I was thinking they are to big for the small amounts I use..

Yeh they are the ones, they work fine for all types of paint. I use 190 micron. I usually strain the whole bottle of paint once and then remove and use one of the mesh filters over the bottle but under the lid, you could use pantyhose or stockings for that instead. it just stops any lumps that the filter missed getting through. I know it worked for me with trident paints but i do it as a precaution on all of them now. It may help with your paint, it doesnt cost much to give it a try.

Urethane's are great but you need extractors and filters and a mask preferably air fed, its not nice stuff to breath in. I use a mask even with water based as your body will accept any particles due to the fact its water based and you won't cough your lungs up like with urethane's...

Lee

I have been going through this exact question for a long time now. Certain colors in all brands will flow perfect and other colors will give you a migraine. It all boils down to how fine the pigment is ground to. I have chosen to go back to Com-Art because they are developed specifically to run through all needle sizes. For instance phthalocyanine blue in Etac FX would not play nice through my micron SB or my HP-b driving me nuts. So I called Coast Airbrush Supply today with that very question. The pigment in the blue is a pure color and while it will flow nice through a .5 needle it can't make it through a .18mm. You can't grind the pigment any smaller so you're left with reducing the paint. If you reduce with transparent base you are adding more binder which will make a more transparent paint but won't make it flow better. If you use water you are breaking down the uv resistance of the paint and will fade quicker. The only option for a pure vibrant color is to use a phthalocyanine blue hue. The company will mix an approximation of the same color, but with smaller pigments. Now you may ask why don't they just grind the pigment smaller and the reason is it will change that blue to a brown hue. So with Com-Art this has been done. Supposedly Wicked and Wicked Detail have also done this. I myself have chosen to go to Com-art because It developed for this exact reason. I know because I have tried them all. There are only a few inks I have not. In my drawer I have Com-Art, Createx Illustration, Wicked, Etac PS, Etac EFX, Golden Fluid, Golden High Flow. They all work better in different airbrushes and for one I believe in they make the paint a certain way for a reason. Why screw it up with all different chemicals or water an break its properties down so it doesn't look as vibrant or last as long. Ask anyone here and they will tell you I have been researching this for weeks now. Call coast for yourself and they can explain it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back