air compressor paints and airbrush

C

Calibur454

I would like to do portraits and artwork in the style of magic the gathering- I was wondering if Illustration colors or wicked colors from createx would work at 35 psi Im thinking of getting an iwata smart jet compressor due to its quietness and the fact that I live in an apartment. Will this be adequate enough for my needs. Im also looking for a decent airbrush- Im looking to get a hp-c plus but know a micron might be better. any recommendations?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

The HP-C+ will do what you need it to do for now, you may or may not need a micron.
I had to google 'magic the gathering' LOL.
I would suggest Createx Illustration for the style. Why the question re 35psi ? most illustration work will be done at much much lower pressure.
The compressor will be fine.

Do you have an art background ?

For illustration/fine art the Illustration line is ideal. The Micron is awesome IMO, however parts are very expensive to replace, and starting out you are more likely to damage nozzles and bend needles, so its something to bear in mind.

With what you hope to paint its unlikely you'll need 35 psi. I know folks around here have that compressor so hopefully someone can give an opinion. It will be quiet enough for your appartment though.

The HP-C+ will do what you need it to do for now, you may or may not need a micron.
I would suggest Createx Illustration for the style. Why the question re 35psi ? most illustration work will be done at much much lower pressure.

No I don't have an art background but I have been drawing and dabbling in art mediums since i was a kid. Everything from drawing to acrylics. I inherited the gift from my grandpa but never really took it to seriously. I even took a 3 hour art class at the end of my high school days. Now a little older and wiser I am hoping to get into freelance artwork in my spare time.

No I don't have an art background but I have been drawing and dabbling in art mediums since i was a kid. Everything from drawing to acrylics.
that qualifies as having an art background LOL...
at least you're not coming in with no knowledge of how to create an image..... unlike some of us,
Your journey will be a little less daunting :thumbsup:

as for the compressor psi question- i actually go the compressor wrong lol- It was a iwata sprint jet model that maxes out at about 35 psi- I have heard a lot of word theories about the stronger the psi the better the paint flow with certain paints. I wasn't sure if this was true or not

The more psi the faster the paint will shoot, and also the thicker the paint can be. Does that mean better? Well, that depends on what materials you are using and what you want to achieve. Best flow is achieved by balancing the paint, reduction, and air, to create the coverage or effect you need. For instance for fine lines in micro art you want very thin paint at very low pressure, for something like t-shirts you would want pretty high pressure for thick paint. Too much air can cause lots of unwanted overspray, so more is not always best, too little air can cause paint to look grainy. It all depends what suits your needs.

Last edited:
Back