Can someone give me a one to one comparison/ their thoughts on Iwata vs Mr Hobby - GSI creos airbrushes?

Gruffalo

Young Tutorling
Hey Guys. So I have Microns and I have a PS771 and the PS771 is fantastic, I love that brush, I do believe that the comparisons are fair.

I also have some other Iwatas. The HP-BH and the HP-CH and they are excellent, I love them, so much so that I have 3 H&S’s I’m looking to sell because I just don’t like them comparatively, that’s including the new Giraldez. But, the Iwatas aren’t cheap.

So my question is how do the Creos airbrushes as a range stack up to the Iwatas? It’s just hard for me to believe that the Creos brushes are as good as Iwatas considering how unbelievably inexpensive they are. People say it’s a one to one but is that really true? For example is a PS270 as good as a HP-B and a PS289 as good as a HP-C?

I’m aware that they are made in the same factory etc but still.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Guys. So I have Microns and I have a PS771 and the PS771 is fantastic, I love that brush, I do believe that the comparisons are fair.

I also have some other Iwatas. The HP-BH and the HP-CH and they are excellent, I love them, so much so that I have 3 H&S’s I’m looking to sell because I just don’t like them comparatively, that’s including the new Giraldez. But, the Iwatas aren’t cheap.

So my question is how do the Creos airbrushes as a range stack up to the Iwatas? It’s just hard for me to believe that the Creos brushes are as good as Iwatas considering how unbelievably inexpensive they are. People say it’s a one to one but is that really true? For example is a PS270 as good as a HP-B and a PS289 as good as a HP-C?

Thanks in advance!
These are great questions and I would like to know as well.

But, still what? ;) They are indeed made in the same facility, maybe on the same machines, maybe by the same workers... but maybe not, too. At any rate the Creos GSI brushes are very well made, same quality as Iwata. Needles and nozzles are made in the same facility, and exhibit the same sort of quality. As is with most of the other brands produced in the same facility, the exact specs for the business pieces is proprietary per brand. Nozzle openings in conjunction with nozzle cap openings are paired within each brand, and the ratio remains proprietary to that brand. This is what gives each brand its own distinct character - all of them are good. The head design within the Creos brushes is several decades newer than the tried and true Iwata pieces and may, just may, hold a performance edge in actual atomization. Personally, I still prefer the smaller size of the Iwata brushes, as well as the upright trigger position vs. the angled style on the Creos - but those are personal preferences. Iwata is a much larger, international conglomerate, which undoubtedly has a larger overhead footprint than the much smaller, niche GSI Creos brand... I've watched the PS 770 double in price since we started hearing about it, and suspect that they will continue to climb over the next years. I am sure the rest of the models that remain in production will do the same - as this is the nature of business.

But, still what? ;) They are indeed made in the same facility, maybe on the same machines, maybe by the same workers... but maybe not, too. At any rate the Creos GSI brushes are very well made, same quality as Iwata. Needles and nozzles are made in the same facility, and exhibit the same sort of quality. As is with most of the other brands produced in the same facility, the exact specs for the business pieces is proprietary per brand. Nozzle openings in conjunction with nozzle cap openings are paired within each brand, and the ratio remains proprietary to that brand. This is what gives each brand its own distinct character - all of them are good. The head design within the Creos brushes is several decades newer than the tried and true Iwata pieces and may, just may, hold a performance edge in actual atomization. Personally, I still prefer the smaller size of the Iwata brushes, as well as the upright trigger position vs. the angled style on the Creos - but those are personal preferences. Iwata is a much larger, international conglomerate, which undoubtedly has a larger overhead footprint than the much smaller, niche GSI Creos brand... I've watched the PS 770 double in price since we started hearing about it, and suspect that they will continue to climb over the next years. I am sure the rest of the models that remain in production will do the same - as this is the nature of business.
“But still” this doesn’t necessarily mean that they automatically spray the same just because they’re being produced in the same facility. A HP-B, for example, is made in the same facility as a micron, but they don’t automatically have the same quality. Both are great, but they’re not the same. A lot of people seem to rely on saying “they are made in the same factory” to automatically claim that means that perform the same and are of the same construction standard. The newness of the the creos parts is a really interesting point! That Iwata design is very old comparatively. I also completely agree with your preference in the size of the brushes. The CM-B to me feels excellent in the hand. Yeah I remember watching and reading a few reviews on the PS770/ 771 and one of the main talking points was how cheap they were. After going to pick one up myself they had near doubled in price and these were not old reviews haha. Thanks for the detailed response Dave, appreciate it mate!

I have a similar opinion to @DaveG. As far as I can tell the quality of my Creos brushes is as good as my Iwata’s. The finish is very nice and manufacturing details are great too. I just prefer the trigger feel of my Iwata’s. But that is totally personal preference.

I have a PS 770 head set on my Iwata CM SB and I like it better than the Iwata headset as it need less pressure to spray fine detail and I own the PS 276 0.3 side feed and it sprays just as good as my 0.2 HP SB+
As far as trigger action goes I find there is not much difference between the 2 brands it is all up to personal preference

I have an HP-CH and nice as it is I prefer the PS-289. It's a heavier brush than the HP-CH but doesn't feel heavier in the hand. I also like the fact that with 289's and 270's I can do a deep clean on the nozzle interior by removing the whole head unit like the PS-771 & Microns rather than removing the more delicate nozzle itself. I currently own 6 Creos brushes (PS-771, 290, 289 and 270) and love them all.

I have a HP-SBS, an HP-A and several GSIs - PS-270, PS-289 and PS-290. I wouldn’t say either brand is better, though I do find the trigger action better on the GSIs but the cups are pretty big, and the Iwatas are shorter and with a more trigger forward design. I don’t have a Micron or 771, but I believe the head systems are identical. My PS-290 is virtually identical to an HP-TH minus the MAC valve.

I have a similar opinion to @DaveG. As far as I can tell the quality of my Creos brushes is as good as my Iwata’s. The finish is very nice and manufacturing details are great too. I just prefer the trigger feel of my Iwata’s. But that is totally personal preference.
Yup, if I could put the Micron V2 trigger and its responsiveness on the PS771 I’d be a happy chappy. Tbh I’d stick that square trigger on anything if I could, it’s a very welcome addition to the eclipse Takumi

I have an HP-CH and nice as it is I prefer the PS-289. It's a heavier brush than the HP-CH but doesn't feel heavier in the hand. I also like the fact that with 289's and 270's I can do a deep clean on the nozzle interior by removing the whole head unit like the PS-771 & Microns rather than removing the more delicate nozzle itself. I currently own 6 Creos brushes (PS-771, 290, 289 and 270) and love them all.
That’s really interesting, I had no idea the creos head units came off as a single piece. I knew that the PS771 head assembly was removable as a single piece because of it sharing its design with the micron but I didn’t know about the others. I have a HP-CH and I have a PS289 on the way so it’ll be interesting to compare the two. Cheers

Back