First try advice please

S

Smiler65

the-beggining.722

Just tried my airbrush for the first time,but as you can see I have a lot of spidering going on.
I have reduced psi down to 10-15 but even then I was really struggling.
Am I trying to spray to close to the paper?
It did get a bit easier the further away I was but then the dots looked huge.
Was using com-art paint,normal printer paper and an Evolution AL PLUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at those dots I'm pretty sure it's just down to trigger control. Air pressure, paint reduction and distance are all ofc factors that come into play, but the dot's that have spiders seem to be created by just giving paint for too long.

But that's what these sheets are for, getting the muscle memory and learning how ones airbrush behaves. Just keep this up and you'll gradualy gain more understanding of what creates which effect ect.

Thanks gents.:thumbsup:
I'm not reducing the paint it's straight out the bottle.
Got the pressure as low as I can go before it won't draw paint through but my regulator is course adjustment I think.

Practice. Is the only thing that will teach me muscle memory and control so will be hoping to get a couple of hours each evening.

Does the airbrush bed in sort of thing or is it the same all the time?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm afraid of spiders!!!!!!!!!! I want my mummy.

Just kidding, it's all of what haasje said and something you'll get used to, I know from when I started that just as he said we sometimes keep the brush in one place too long but when using thinner paint try pulling back a little less, practice that and what your aiming for is that as soon as you see paint coming out you don't need to pull back any further, some brushes have a needle distance screw but that is a bad habit to get into.

The dots at the top of your page are pretty spot on if you can get close to those almost every time your doing fine and these ones show you can do it. so I would assume if these where your first dots you was getting fed up, it is very boring to keep doing dots and other strokes constantly so you would be forgiven if you were to mess around with some fun stuff in between.

Keep it up mate, every one of us started in the same place, except for Haasje of course, he was making masterpieces when he was a foetus:)

Thanks gents.:thumbsup:
I'm not reducing the paint it's straight out the bottle.
Got the pressure as low as I can go before it won't draw paint through but my regulator is course adjustment I think.

Practice. Is the only thing that will teach me muscle memory and control so will be hoping to get a couple of hours each evening.

Does the airbrush bed in sort of thing or is it the same all the time?

You mean work it'self in? it should be ready to use and will perform the same assuming it doesn't get broke but you will become used to it and get to know what it can do and what to expect from it, you will become one with it and it become an extension of your arm, then you will have the same operation as @WhiteKnight and have welded to you elbow:):):)

@Madbrush yes work it self in is what I meant i.e. Trigger gets smoother, air valve spring gets softer etc.
if getting it welded to my elbow means I can paint like you lot then I'll book the op nowlol

@Madbrush yes work it self in is what I meant i.e. Trigger gets smoother, air valve spring gets softer etc.
if getting it welded to my elbow means I can paint like you lot then I'll book the op nowlol

If you have the op you'll be painting like Haasje, if you want to paint like me it needs to go somewhere else, I won't say where but if I eat enough baked beans I don't need my compressor:confused::confused::confused:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm afraid of spiders!!!!!!!!!! I want my mummy.

Just kidding, it's all of what haasje said and something you'll get used to, I know from when I started that just as he said we sometimes keep the brush in one place too long but when using thinner paint try pulling back a little less, practice that and what your aiming for is that as soon as you see paint coming out you don't need to pull back any further, some brushes have a needle distance screw but that is a bad habit to get into.

The dots at the top of your page are pretty spot on if you can get close to those almost every time your doing fine and these ones show you can do it. so I would assume if these where your first dots you was getting fed up, it is very boring to keep doing dots and other strokes constantly so you would be forgiven if you were to mess around with some fun stuff in between.

Keep it up mate, every one of us started in the same place, except for Haasje of course, he was making masterpieces when he was a foetus:)

It was the dots I done towards the end of my session, done both sides of that sheet but decided to have a break as I was finding myself concentrating that much I was holding my breath as well. Stupid really getting that engrossed but just thought I might have been trying to go small to soon. I will be trying to do more precision excersises as to control where it goes and get regular and more consistence size.

ver
If you have the op you'll be painting like Haasje, if you want to paint like me it needs to go somewhere else, I won't say where but if I eat enough baked beans I don't need my compressor:confused::confused::confused:

Very funny Madbrush , but if your last pic added is what you can do using your **** then get the brush in your hand and stop "messing about" as you put it

It was the dots I done towards the end of my session, done both sides of that sheet but decided to have a break as I was finding myself concentrating that much I was holding my breath as well. Stupid really getting that engrossed but just thought I might have been trying to go small to soon. I will be trying to do more precision excersises as to control where it goes and get regular and more consistence size.

There is no such thing as too small too soon, when you can work small bigger think become a walk in the park, that's the idea behind paint pals, once you get a few of them under your belt you sail through the normal bigger stuff.

listen to all of the great advice above and remember to have fun with it. Rome wasn't built overnight

probly been mentioned above but do darker dots and lines in stages, multiple passes of lighter spray to get to darker needs, try not to reach 100% intensity in one foul swoop. Good luck and keep practicing.

probly been mentioned above but do darker dots and lines in stages, multiple passes of lighter spray to get to darker needs, try not to reach 100% intensity in one foul swoop. Good luck and keep practicing.

Hard trying to keep to light coats for me at the moment, im that heavy handed when im close to the paper that its dark before i even see it.

Nothing stupid about concentrating like that at all! Try some loops and such. I don't and didn't do near as much practice on dots and lines as I should have. When I started out I started painting bricks as a way to build my line work without driving myself crazy.

Smiler, I'm only a few months in myself. With practice, the control will start to develop. I still dont have the control I would like to have yet but I'm getting better the more I paint.
Download the practice sheets from airbrushtutor.com, the link is at the top. Once you become a member you can download the practice sheets and some step by step's. WATCH all of Mitch's instructional videos starting with how to hold the airbrush, they are available on airbrushtutor.com and on youtube.
keep practicing your dots, lines, blending lines, blending dots and (the awesome)dagger strokes,
I eventually got bored doing the lines and dots straight across, so I started to make designs with the dots and lines to make it more interesting but, still focusing on the opacity and size. Some other advise is, the action comes from your elbows, shoulders and waist. stay relaxed and BREATH. We dont want you passing out to wake up with your face painted blue(I hated the smurfs). learn your distancing.
Know your airbrush inside and out, some problems may arise from your equipment but no worries, this is a great group that is very happy to give advise.
Pick a brand of paint that feels good to you and get to know its characteristics(how to reduce, what PSI works for what you want, color theory)
may seem over whelming with all this info I threw out but it all comes in time. Start with you dots and line, practice,practice practice.
And SPREAD THE LOVE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back