Hi from an old geezer, trying to rejuvenate some Artistic talent he once had

Rincewind

Double Actioner
Hi My names Tom and I`ve decided to try my hand at Air brushing now . I used to draw and paint years ago but stopped due to my then life style ,Army , family ,etc etc . Airbrushing is something I`ve always wanted to do but never had anyone to show me how, so I`m hoping I can get some good pointers and tips from this forum.

hi Tom and welcome aboard, you will find plenty of good info on here and you can also visit airbrushtutor.com for some pointers too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi from Ukraine!
Tom, one thing I'm sure of, is that you've chosen right place for good pointers and tips:) You'll get a lot from here for your art needs.

Welcome from Australia Tom.
We're here to help and guide you when needed.
Do you have any kit yet or are you still deciding? If you let us know where you call home the we can guide you to local suppliers

Hi Tom, Welcome from New Zealand. This is a fun learning curve, keep at it! Ask questions, search the interwebs and smile... :)

I have bought a Badger renegade Krome for my first gun/machine ? and coupled it to a Badger Airbrush Compressor With Anti Pulsation # BA1100 1/6 HP .( not even sure what anti pulsation is :thumbsdown:) I don`t know if these are a good starter combo ,but I read as much as I could on the different items and these two seemed about right so being as impulsive as I am I took the plunge and went for them. Still awaiting delivery of the Compressor but had the gun/machine through the mail yesterday.
I live in Wales in the UK .

Hey Tom, from the south coast of England :) You've come to the right place. When I started I knew nothing - literally. If air hadn't come out of the brush I wouldn't have known which way to point it lol. I didn't (and still don't) know anyone else that ab's in real life. But with stubbornness, determination, plus lots of time and swearing, the good folks here kept me on track with invaluable advice and support. Even my lonely brain cell is getting there lol.

The Krome is a popular brush so should do you well, and the anti pulsation compressor just means it delivers a constant flow of air. Some compressors that don't have tanks do pulse and erratic air means erratic paint flow.

What kind of things/surfaces are you hoping to paint? This could affect your choice of paint if you haven't got any yet.

Hi Tom and welcome, my story is similar to yours (except I didn't join the army), I have only been here for a few days and I have to say that this forum is the best place anyone can be. The guys are very friendly and very helpful. I'm sure that as you go along, they will help you over each hurdle (they have been there themselves), plus as mentioned the tutorials are very good and helpful. With this forum you are not on your own :)
Happy Airbrushing

Rik

Hey Tom, from the south coast of England :) You've come to the right place. When I started I knew nothing - literally. If air hadn't come out of the brush I wouldn't have known which way to point it lol. I didn't (and still don't) know anyone else that ab's in real life. But with stubbornness, determination, plus lots of time and swearing, the good folks here kept me on track with invaluable advice and support. Even my lonely brain cell is getting there lol.

The Krome is a popular brush so should do you well, and the anti pulsation compressor just means it delivers a constant flow of air. Some compressors that don't have tanks do pulse and erratic air means erratic paint flow.

What kind of things/surfaces are you hoping to paint? This could affect your choice of paint if you haven't got any yet.

Hi & thanks for the encouraging reply, in fact from every one that have posted a welcome , thank you .
You know I hadn`t actually asked myself that question if I`m being honest about what type of surfaces had I thought about airbrushing on ,but I suppose in the back of my mind ,I had assumed it would be paper .
And probably an equal amount of prime importance into airbrushing is paint ,and I havn`t yet got any paint as yet.
I`m looking for a good outlet here in the UK ,and brand suggestions would help me as to which are the preferred makes. or what colors to get as a starter set , I can only assume its the primary colors ,then add variants as you go along.
Its a great pity that no one seems to have any tuition courses around me going. A place where I could actually attend a course to learn to boost my momentum, because there`s nothing worse I think than being enthusiastic only to get disheartened by lack of knowledge which most airbrush artists would see as common knowledge, such as what paints you should have ready other than the primaries. Again i feel like an idiot because I can imagine there`s people out there saying "well you`d think he`d know that".
I do look at the You tube vids a lot to get idea`s and inspiration but when I look at what some people are knocking out ,I get a bit deflated and think" OMG I`ll never get to that stage".
I see people using the stencils for flames , but there seems that many different shapes and sizes ,what do you get before hand , and do people only buy them if they know their going to use them or do they buy them so they have them so they have them at the ready ? These are the sort of dumb questions my heads full of at the mo.

I do look at the You tube vids a lot to get idea`s and inspiration but when I look at what some people are knocking out ,I get a bit deflated and think" OMG I`ll never get to that stage".
I see people using the stencils for flames , but there seems that many different shapes and sizes ,what do you get before hand , and do people only buy them if they know their going to use them or do they buy them so they have them so they have them at the ready ? These are the sort of dumb questions my heads full of at the mo.
Hey, I also got deflated watching a lot of youtube vids, but when I watched the ones in the tutorials here, I felt more hopeful - they take you through the basics one step at a time, you have to walk before you can run. So I wouldn't worry about stencils for now, you can make them anyway, when you get to that stage. This is the place to start your first steps :-http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/part-1-tutorials-how-to-control-an-airbrush.4/
It's all good! :)
Rik

Don't feel the journey is to long. Check out some of them member galleries. a lot have Their early pieces up there.
The more time you can utilize the quicker you will progress. The learning curve can feel steep but we're here to help you along the bumpy road

Hi and welcome from Somerset in the UK, I guess by your forum name you are also a Terry Pratchett fan :)

I started off with an 'airbrush kit' given to me as an xmas present for something to do after taking early retirement , here I am 3 years later and still enjoying every second. There is plenty of help and advice on this forum , just don't be afraid to ask.

Dont be deflated by the excellent standard of work you see on youtube, once you learn the initial control you will surprise yourself .

Hi and welcome from Somerset in the UK, I guess by your forum name you are also a Terry Pratchett fan :)

I started off with an 'airbrush kit' given to me as an xmas present for something to do after taking early retirement , here I am 3 years later and still enjoying every second. There is plenty of help and advice on this forum , just don't be afraid to ask.

Dont be deflated by the excellent standard of work you see on youtube, once you learn the initial control you will surprise yourself .
Thanks for the great uplifting comments and I`m really further inspired by all your words of encouragement and inspiration and it actually does make you feel happy that such a lot of friendly people will be on hand when and if i ask for it .
Thanks people I`m getting a really good feeling I entered this realm ,and found such a warm and friendly bunch of fellow artists ,
( if I dare include myself in that category yet):thumbsup:

Don't sweat it Tom, I didn't even know you had to use airbrush specific paint lol. We'll get you going. Def check out the link posted by Gothrik above which will get you on track.

Probably the thing that people find hardest is getting your paint/ reducer/ air ratio right to get good flow. Until you get this it is hard to focus on technique, and its when you are more likely to get blockages. There is no magic recipe as there are too many variables, so when you get your paint spend some time experimenting to get Tha right. It might take a while, and can be a bit frustrating, but we can talk you through it. Just make sure your nozzle stays clean, I guess around 90% of issues can be linked to blocked or dirty nozzles. And if it looks clean, don't believe it lol and clean again.

Regular printer paper is ok to practise on, but wont be ideal for more advanced stuff later. Many people use Bristol board, and schoellershammer 4 paper ot board.
If you just want to work on paper then popular brands are E'tac fx - many pros like, but a bit more pricey, which you can find at airbrushandpaint.com I think, Createx Illustration, a bit more readily available but I know is carried by smdesigns. Com-art, and Golden are also popular, and graphicair and custompaint.co.uk are other suppliers I've used.

Don't sweat it Tom, I didn't even know you had to use airbrush specific paint lol. We'll get you going. Def check out the link posted by Gothrik above which will get you on track.

Probably the thing that people find hardest is getting your paint/ reducer/ air ratio right to get good flow. Until you get this it is hard to focus on technique, and its when you are more likely to get blockages. There is no magic recipe as there are too many variables, so when you get your paint spend some time experimenting to get Tha right. It might take a while, and can be a bit frustrating, but we can talk you through it. Just make sure your nozzle stays clean, I guess around 90% of issues can be linked to blocked or dirty nozzles. And if it looks clean, don't believe it lol and clean again.

Regular printer paper is ok to practise on, but wont be ideal for more advanced stuff later. Many people use Bristol board, and schoellershammer 4 paper ot board.
If you just want to work on paper then popular brands are E'tac fx - many pros like, but a bit more pricey, which you can find at airbrushandpaint.com I think, Createx Illustration, a bit more readily available but I know is carried by smdesigns. Com-art, and Golden are also popular, and graphicair and custompaint.co.uk are other suppliers I've used.

OK ,thanks for the tips I take everything on board

Welcome to the forum Tom, you're in a good place, Paper is ok to practise on. Get yourself a roll of lining paper from b&q or similar, lots of sprayable area to practise lines, dots and daggers. Get a colouring book for when you get bored of dots and daggers, colour in without going over the lines, this will help with control. Bristol Board is good and not too expensive once you get serious. If you fancy trying canvas, poundland has them and canvas coated boards and obviously they are a pound so not expensive. I've just got some yupo synthetic paper (polypropeline) it acts more like a hard surface and is very popular. Paint is a personal thing, i've just found my mixture for createx illustration paints so im using them at the moment. I use etac efx usually but have spectra-tex from Badger which i let the kids use for tshirts and general practise although its pretty good on most surfaces when you get it thinned correctly, im painting a motorbike themed painting with it at the moment. I've also got com-art, inspire solvent paints, tattoo ink, windsor and newton inks and trident. I have a few lol You can get paint from lots of places Squishy has them covered above. There's a few things to get you started.

Lee

Back