Iwata HP-B spraying issues

P

pnj

Hi Folks,

I have a 25+ year old HP-B airbrush that I purchased around 1990 but never really used much. I've pulled it out recently and started getting back into some spray art.

The airbrush worked flawlessly for about four weeks, with me using it almost daily.
I am spraying Badger paint.
Recently it has started spraying poorly and I'm assuming it is because it is dirty.

I watched this video and followed many of the suggestions.

Now I am having more issues than before I cleaned it. The issues seem to be random so I'll list them out.

The paint will come out when I only push the trigger down. It creates a very fine line. I can stop this by loosening the needle and pushing it forward, into the tip. This will fix the issue for about five minutes.

The paint will start to bubble into the paint cup. Like when you put your finger over the front of the nozzle.

No paint will come out of the airbrush until the trigger is about halfway pulled back. Then the amount is very small. (makes for very thin lines)

If I pull the trigger back all the way, I don't get a full blast of paint. I do get a good amount but nothing compared to when I started spraying with this airbrush four weeks ago.

The above issues are all random. Meaning any one of those things will happen at any time but they don't all happen all the time. If that makes sense.

I'm assuming the tip area is still very dirty but I'm at a loss for how else to clean it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sound like your nozzle has dried paint in it.

People use different methods, I use acetone sprayed through or a soak, remove o ring, others use restorer or hot water.

I've heard of folks using splinters of wood or a smaller needle to scrape the softened paint out. I have a fine, soft piece of copper wire for the rare times the acetone doesn't clear it.

Better to go slow and easy than replacing a nozzle.

Jim

The paint will come out when I only push the trigger down. It creates a very fine line. I can stop this by loosening the needle and pushing it forward, into the tip. This will fix the issue for about five minutes.
dirty nozzle or a cracked nozzle needle is not seating properly in nozzle.
The paint will start to bubble into the paint cup. Like when you put your finger over the front of the nozzle.
same deal the nozzle is not seating so the air pressure is pushing air back through the nozzle also happens when nozzle is not tight enough or air cap is not tight enough
No paint will come out of the airbrush until the trigger is about halfway pulled back. Then the amount is very small. (makes for very thin lines)
Starting to seem more and more like dirty nozzle time for a soak in some "airbrush restorer" createx product if this does not work then a new nozzle might be in your future check it with magnifine glass for hair line cracks.
If I pull the trigger back all the way, I don't get a full blast of paint. I do get a good amount but nothing compared to when I started spraying with this airbrush four weeks ago.
Again points to a build up in paint. Another little tip for you is bees wax to seal the ab when putting back together little on the threads goes a long ways.
The above issues are all random. Meaning any one of those things will happen at any time but they don't all happen all the time. If that makes sense.
You could start painting randomly but don't if that would work but it would be cool to see. Example hop in car to go to market mid shopping pull out an easel and a tank + AB and start painting :ninja:. It all makes sense if that makes any sense. This message will self destruct in 5 minutes:eek:.

Back