Loosing interest fast....

I'm a supernoob at this. A cleaver lady from this site gave me a tip, "Don't use createx, try com-art as a newbie."

I took the time to order some com-art and Boom, what a difference !
I actually found it fun again to fiddle with my dots, strokes, fades again.

So, order some com-art and the joy will (hopefully) come back :)

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

There are a couple Hobby Lobbies and a couple Michael's in Spokane, WA. Michael's carries Spectra-Tex and Hobby Lobby carries wicked detail and one of them carries com-art. I would try to find any of those brands locally. Spectra-Tex is made for shirts, but you can still reduce it and use it for other things. Hope this helps..

Were do you get a 40% off coupon, and is it better than auto air?

Aspiring to get better.

In-Store Coupon : Weekly In-Store Specials : Hobby Lobby - Hobby Lobby
Yes and no depending on what you are truly looking for. Autoair has metallic , flake and pigment candy But right now we are just trying to get you were it is not a pain to learn the basics.

Okay I'm gonna go buy some comart paint after class. What psi should I spray at with comart, and do you think I'll see a noticeable difference? Should I just invest in a little bit nicer of a brush?

Btw thanks everyone especially Mr.micron for this fast 1 on 1 help

Aspiring to get better.

I would say the idea would be start at about 30 to 40 PSI, I believe you can use com art right out of the bottle. Then you can reduce your pressure until you start having issues. Then you decide if you are trying to get finer detail leave the pressure lower and start to reduce the paint until it flows better. You kinda keep going with the trial and error. The finer detail you want the less pressure and the more reduction. Just as a general rule..

There is nothing wrong with the brush you have... Its a good brush... its the paints and you that are the issue right now.... run the comart at about 30-40 to start, unreduced until you can get good dots, daggers and lines, then start playing with the pressure. I know most dont really want to hear it but you have to go through these steps. There is no way around it... It sucks and you get frustrated but one painting session it will all click and you will have just crossed the first major hurdle.

I promise you everyone on this board has gone through it...

Okay should I practice on paper? Since the paint can bleed in it? And I'm worried my needle has a very very very little bend on the tip nothing major but it looks like it does. And the tip is clogged and I can't get it in clogged

Aspiring to get better.

Okay should I practice on paper? Since the paint can bleed in it? And I'm worried my needle has a very very very little bend on the tip nothing major but it looks like it does. And the tip is clogged and I can't get it in clogged

Aspiring to get better.
As far as what to practice on anything you want to and what fits into your budget.
30 PSI is a good starting point , If the paint spiders lower the pressure 5 psi , If the paint seems not to flow well increase your psi 5 .

If the tips is bent at all its trash. You need some restorer to soak that tip in to clean it out and then be better about cleaning it after you are through for the day. Yes paper is better to start on, its a more forgiving surface that will help you build confidence.

Examine the tip closely too, make sure it isnt damaged as that will cause issues while trying to paint. Troubleshooting spray issues is part of the learning curve with airbrushing... once you find and correct a few issues you start to have ideas of where to go the next time you have an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try but Id say you're better off buying a new needle given that you are so new and already frustrated. Dont add to it with a potential needle issue. Its only like 18 bucks for a new one...

Honestly this bent needle is part of your problem. paint is building up on the bent tip and then coming off in chunks. If you had told everyone that in your first post, everyone would have said get that fixed first...

As far as what to practice on anything you want to and what fits into your budget.
30 PSI is a good starting point , If the paint spiders lower the pressure 5 psi , If the paint seems not to flow well increase your psi 5 .

Is spectra any good? My hobby lobby is out of comart. Is spectra also pre thinned?

Aspiring to get better.

Honestly this bent needle is part of your problem. paint is building up on the bent tip and then coming off in chunks. If you had told everyone that in your first post, everyone would have said get that fixed first...

Is spectra also good. Like prethinned like comart? I can't get comart in my town

Aspiring to get better.

Back