Which masking tape?

• Thread starter David Paul Cowley
  • Start date
D

David Paul Cowley

Newbie question... which masking do most people recommend/use? Which is the best for leaving no residue etc.,

Totally ruined a piece I was doing yesterday, using cheap masking tape :mad:

Many thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

3m are a good brand. You gets what you pays for in that game. Heat is not your friend and frisket is probably the worst!

I use fine line tape first and then use 3M masking tape and mask back from the fine line tape:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I use 3m and j-tape, had no problems so far. you need the lower tack tapes, cheap stuff isnt low tack and sticks like crap to a blanket.

Lee

I paint xbox controllers mostly, but the thing I've found the best is Frog tape. The yellow kind, it has that paint shield stuff in the tape that helps prevent paint getting under the tape, I've never noticed any residue either. I use it directly on primer paint, it's a low stick, but does the job pretty well.

Hey, thanks for everyone's time in replying and all your great advice, much appreciated! Believe it or not, living here on the Isle Of Man in the middle of the Irish Sea is very restrictive for getting anything that you need at times. Usually have to order anything I need from the UK or further afield at times.

I've ordered up some 3M online, but in the mean time I'll give Draxden's advice a try. As I'm pretty sure I can get some yellow Frog Tape locally.

Thanks again.... :cool:

Frog is good, I have some Home Depot brand blue that is super low tack, found it by accident. Doesn't stick well at all. 3m always gets my vote, they have so many wonderful products.

All the tapes everybody has been posting are great. I have one tip though, regardless of the tape you decide on, instead of buying fine line tape (it is very expensive, at least around me it is). The tape that you buy when you want fine line tape, take a yard stick or whatever is long and straight lay out some tape and use the straight edge to cut the tape into smaller strips it works fantastic and you do not have to purchase additional tape! I do not remember the name of the video on youtube but somebody made a razor that cuts perfect fine line tape every time. If you do a google/youtube search of DIY fine line tape you can find it. I hope this helps.

All the tapes everybody has been posting are great. I have one tip though, regardless of the tape you decide on, instead of buying fine line tape (it is very expensive, at least around me it is). The tape that you buy when you want fine line tape, take a yard stick or whatever is long and straight lay out some tape and use the straight edge to cut the tape into smaller strips it works fantastic and you do not have to purchase additional tape! I do not remember the name of the video on youtube but somebody made a razor that cuts perfect fine line tape every time. If you do a google/youtube search of DIY fine line tape you can find it. I hope this helps.

I use a metal ruler, and a surgical scalpel. It's honestly been the best hobby knife I could find. Way sharper than a basic x-acto knife, and much more comfortable (for me anyway)

I use a metal ruler, and a surgical scalpel. It's honestly been the best hobby knife I could find. Way sharper than a basic x-acto knife, and much more comfortable (for me anyway)
I use a metal level when I cut, I tried the home made fine line tape cutter that I found in a you tube video and did not like it to much although it did work. Do the surgical scalpels dull out as fast as an x-acto knife?

I use a metal level when I cut, I tried the home made fine line tape cutter that I found in a you tube video and did not like it to much although it did work. Do the surgical scalpels dull out as fast as an x-acto knife?
Depends on what you cut on, I lay my tape down on a piece of glass so it slides smoothly, and I don't have to worry about it digging in or anything. I've had the same one for over a year now, and have had to change the blade about 4 times. Twice the blades actually broke; one because I underestimated how sharp it was and pushed too hard to compensate, and broke off the very tip. The second time my wife used it, and it snapped the blade in half because of the same thing. However if comes with quite a few blades, for cheap too. I got mine on eBay for like $7, and it came with about 6 blades or so. I use the #11.

If ever you are looking for a sheet masking material, check out stationers. There are two types of clear sticky backed plastic you can buy (used for covering text books, in school many years ago!) One is a standard one that you don't want to use. Another is a removable one and I have used that from time to time on paper that would normally be a pain to mask.
Other than that, do as suggested by others and go for a branded low tack tape.

If ever you are looking for a sheet masking material, check out stationers. There are two types of clear sticky backed plastic you can buy (used for covering text books, in school many years ago!) One is a standard one that you don't want to use. Another is a removable one and I have used that from time to time on paper that would normally be a pain to mask.
Other than that, do as suggested by others and go for a branded low tack tape.

Another good product to use to mask larger areas and it is real cheap is Glad Press 'N Seal for food containers I have used it on printer paper without tearing. Also if you cannot find low tack tape, you can use regular tape just press it down on a cotton t-shirt or towel a few times which will take some of the tack away. Although it can be a pain to get just right sometimes you can do it to much and the piece of tape becomes useless, and if not enough you can peel up paint or tear paper if that is what you are using.

Yes, can't get the stuff here though, must remember to get an American friend to get me some!

Yes, can't get the stuff here though, must remember to get an American friend to get me some!
Not sure if you are talking about the Press N Seal or something else (sorry and please disregard if it is something else). I am not sure how ordering stuff from amazon works in Spain but it is available on Amazon It is a bit more pricey than buying in a store here but it looks like it comes in bigger rolls. I did a quick search and you can get 70 square feet for around $9.00 or looks like a better deal to go for the 300 square feet for $13.00. It is worth giving it a try and hey if it doesn't work for you, at least you can keep your food fresh:thumbsup:.

I prefer a surgical scalpel too. They do dull, I recommend a proper cutting mat which really helps. However, I really suggest you use a fresh blade at least each session, if not more depending on usage. Although they may still be sharp, you want to be able to use them with virtually no pressure applied, especially if you need to cut something directly on the surface of your work. Plus, its easy to not realise that the blade is not quite as sharp as it was and give you a less clean edge, that can really show up in your work. Fortunately online blades are super cheap, I buy them in boxes of 100 , and works out literally pennies each.

I prefer a surgical scalpel too. They do dull, I recommend a proper cutting mat which really helps. However, I really suggest you use a fresh blade at least each session, if not more depending on usage. Although they may still be sharp, you want to be able to use them with virtually no pressure applied, especially if you need to cut something directly on the surface of your work. Plus, its easy to not realise that the blade is not quite as sharp as it was and give you a less clean edge, that can really show up in your work. Fortunately online blades are super cheap, I buy them in boxes of 100 , and works out literally pennies each.
I only use them on glass, so I don't have to worry about pressure or anything like that. I cut just skinnier strips out and lay them down. I can see your point with cutting on the project itself, if I have to do that I just use the fat part of the blade since it never gets used (usually its on a rounded surface)

Back