Wicked how smooth?

The sealer is great. Auto air regular and metallic base is pretty thick stuff. I like them. As long as I mix it right. I love the createx spec sheets for mix ratios

Does the sealer under it help the regular color lay down as well?
I get the impression that with the sealer you basically just spray the color like you're dying the sealer, rather than like painting over primer.

The whole system is just odd to me. I'm used to very specific stuff.
Seems like createx just kind of gives you a make your own paint/ system kit.

Last edited:
The sealer is like primer, you can tint to get close to base color. Use less base. The sealer covers way better than any paint. Most every createx is mixable, I like that.

Does the sealer under it help the regular color lay down as well?
I get the impression that with the sealer you basically just spray the color like you're dying the sealer, rather than like painting over primer.

The whole system is just odd to me. I'm used to very specific stuff.
Seems like createx just kind of gives you a make your own paint/ system kit.

That's what makes it a good system! Mix n match for you own requirements! Lots of different addictive but it works well. :)

hmm, In that case it's not gonna work any better. The color just doesn't lay down all that smooth over primer.
Guess this why it's not too popular for all over base paint.

A good clear over top corrects it anyhow.
Mainly I was just wanting to make sure It wasn't supposed to just go on super smooth.
Plus we're talking differences you couldn't get on camera so it's probably down to nitpicking

Last edited:
I think I was going about it wrong. Ive been watching some videos. When the createx guys spray the sealer they spray a lot like any other paint, But they almost always seem to spray color with high pressure at a longer distance with little or no fan, like imitating a conventional gun. Then basically never putting a wet coat down.

The only thing I could find where someone did a whole car they sprayed it like normal paint.....but they also sanded before clearing. So I guess those guys caused themselves more work than they needed.

Last edited:
Water
A good clear over top corrects it anyhow.
Mainly I was just wanting to make sure It wasn't supposed to just go on super smooth.
Plus we're talking differences you couldn't get on camera so it's probably down to nitpicking
Waterbased needs to go in thin multiple layers, it's not like urathane paint, maybe check out Craig Frasers mini tutorials on you tube - he explained the differences.

Water

Waterbased needs to go in thin multiple layers, it's not like urathane paint, maybe check out Craig Frasers mini tutorials on you tube - he explained the differences.
Yeah i just kept ending it with a heavier coat to try and make it flow out. Still no matter how I do it it doesnt quite come out as smooth as the aztek paint. Haven't tried the 4020 or the 4030 with it yet though.

Last edited:
Yeah i just kept ending it with a heavier coat. Still no matter how I do it it doesnt quite come out as smooth as the aztek paint. Haven't tried the 4020 or the 4030 with it yet though.
Sounds like you have found your line! Sorry I just do Illustration work not auto :(

Sounds like you have found your line! Sorry I just do Illustration work not auto :(
Nah, aztek isn't available in high quantity. I have high hopes for the other reducer and additive though.
Unfortunately I haven't really found a lot of info with people spraying large sections with auto air, So i think it will take some experimenting.
Wickedart seems to have done plenty of big pieces and be perfectly content so.... If hes saying the 4020 will make a big difference , it probably does.
I like you and Basstracks suggestions too. Definitely gave me some directions to explore with it.
I like the idea of color keyed sealer too.
I appreciate you guys' help

Not sure if this will help shows a few different Auto Air paint being used.

Makes me feel better anyhow, doesn't look like it's going down any smoother for them than me.
The CI appeared to though. We are talking differences that are very hard to catch on camera but based on some of the closeups and reflections I'd say they may be laying it down even a bit rougher than I'm getting.

I just shot some auto air midnight metallic, over black. Reduced til it looked and behaved how I wanted out of my anthem 155. I used 4020 and it laid out great. Just keep it thin.

Just a crappy frame I painted to match. Auto air. MY clear is not making me happy. Krylon uv resistant. NOT a fan.

Attachments

• IMAG0270-800x452.jpg
    IMAG0270-800x452.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0272-480x849.jpg
    IMAG0272-480x849.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
Back