66 years old and just getting into airbrushing

Welcome from another Canadian! Great score on the paint! Not sure if there was reducer with your paints but you might want to pick up some 4012 and 4030.

Welcome from another Canadian! Great score on the paint! Not sure if there was reducer with your paints but you might want to pick up some 4012 and 4030.
Why would I need reducer when this is water base? Don't I just use water to thin it out?

Why would I need reducer when this is water base? Don't I just use water to thin it out?

This is because your wicked colours contain mild solvents and adding water to it may cause it to deteriorate or separate.

Last edited:
What Malky said. [emoji1303]
Generally unless a manufacturer states that the paint should be thinned with water, they will have their own formulated reducer. For best results, go with what the manufacturer says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you guy are a great help and a great forum, thank you
That’s what the forum was started for.
I’ve attached a link to a YouTube video. Airbrush artist Craig Fraser is doing a short vid on reducing Wicked Colours. I didn’t understand a lot of the “paint language” when I started, but the more watching, reading and asking questions here that you do, the more you’ll start to understand.

That’s what the forum was started for.
I’ve attached a link to a YouTube video. Airbrush artist Craig Fraser is doing a short vid on reducing Wicked Colours. I didn’t understand a lot of the “paint language” when I started, but the more watching, reading and asking questions here that you do, the more you’ll start to understand.

Thanks for the video, alot to learn.

Sometimes manufacturers suggest their own reducer just to get more money out of you but in the case of Wicked Color and Illustration Colors by Createx stick to their recommendations. With regular Createx you can just use water.

Never use the reducer in the paint and the store it. The shelf life comes way down to a 24 hour window because of the solvents in them. The solvent is mainly to reduce tip dry.

This never made a lot of sense to me because if solvents evaporate faster than water than wouldn’t reducer increase tip dry? There must be some other wetting agent in with the solvent than like glycerin.

http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Sometimes manufacturers suggest their own reducer just to get more money out of you but in the case of Wicked Color and Illustration Colors by Createx stick to their recommendations. With regular Createx you can just use water.

Never use the reducer in the paint and the store it. The shelf life comes way down to a 24 hour window because of the solvents in them. The solvent is mainly to reduce tip dry.

This never made a lot of sense to me because if solvents evaporate faster than water than wouldn’t reducer increase tip dry? There must be some other wetting agent in with the solvent than like glycerin.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what to use for just practicing learning how to airbrush paint?
Is there a specific paper I should buy that works better than others? Thanks

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what to use for just practicing learning how to airbrush paint?
Is there a specific paper I should buy that works better than others? Thanks
For just practice I always had students buy a pad of Newprint Paper and painted on that. From there we progressed to a hot press watercolor or Bristol Paper. However if in the future you want to erase and scratch to create detail, get some Crescent 205 Hot Press Illustration Board, or something very similar. Working on that will give you the feel for working on any hard surface. But just to start and practice use the Newsprint pad. Ampersand Clayboard is also a very nice surface to paint on. If cash is no problem and when you have a good sense of painting you can also try synthetic paper.

For just practice I always had students buy a pad of Newprint Paper and painted on that. From there we progressed to a hot press watercolor or Bristol Paper. However if in the future you want to erase and scratch to create detail, get some Crescent 205 Hot Press Illustration Board, or something very similar. Working on that will give you the feel for working on any hard surface. But just to start and practice use the Newsprint pad. Ampersand Clayboard is also a very nice surface to paint on. If cash is no problem and when you have a good sense of painting you can also try synthetic paper.

Thanks, I will try the newsprint, will they have it at Staples?

Back