Foam Storage Question

rockanon

Gravity Guru
I was given a lockable metal drawer that is perfect for my airbrush storage. I'm looking to buy a sheet of foam to line the bottom and cut out shapes for my airbrushes and accessories.

I'm looking for dense foam (similar to the soft touch but rigid foam that is in the new H&S evolution 2024 box) but not large bubble "crunchy" foam sheets.

Anyone knows what terms to search for? I'm seeing both Polyurethane and Neoprene offerings and I'm not sure which more firm, smaller air pocket?

Open to recommendations.

Attachments

• 20240107_203738.jpg
    20240107_203738.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 16
DredFX did this recently, He used stuff called Shadowfoam :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good idea :)

EVA foam is also another option :)

Shadowfoam is designed to be used with chromed tools so that would be My choice :)

Its not :) but it should last quite a while so is probably a good investment, Others may know of a better/cheaper alternative :)

Polyurethane dosn't age well and will break down especially if it's not mixed well when it's made, and can be to some hydrocarbon solvents. Having said that some phenolic based polyurathane are fine with it like foam in carbi prefilters, but it is very hard to tell them apart
EVA is a better option though thinners fumes will harden it over time and shrink it curling your sheets and most paints stick well to it
Expanded polyethylene EPE is resistive to all solvents used in paints and inks and paints will not stick to it.
The Achilles heel of EPE, is U.V and will break down into a brittle powder in sunlight and fluro tube lights though 20 times slower now the bubbles are usally largeish it will hot knife, as well as sharp knife cut easily. You will find it for nothing at the back of electrcal appliances/ Tv's outlet in their bins
Any questions on polymers just ask

Polyurethane dosn't age well and will break down especially if it's not mixed well
Ohh glueing EPE is tough,,, there are a couple of exotic ones. So your stuck with mechanical types like contact cement but you need to open the bubble holes on each side. It can be hot air welded or hot plate / knife

Polyurethane dosn't age well and will break down especially if it's not mixed well when it's made, and can be to some hydrocarbon solvents. Having said that some phenolic based polyurathane are fine with it like foam in carbi prefilters, but it is very hard to tell them apart
EVA is a better option though thinners fumes will harden it over time and shrink it curling your sheets and most paints stick well to it
Expanded polyethylene EPE is resistive to all solvents used in paints and inks and paints will not stick to it.
The Achilles heel of EPE, is U.V and will break down into a brittle powder in sunlight and fluro tube lights though 20 times slower now the bubbles are usally largeish it will hot knife, as well as sharp knife cut easily. You will find it for nothing at the back of electrcal appliances/ Tv's outlet in their bins
Any questions on polymers just ask
Wow, awesome insights. This foam will be used to line a metal lock-box drawer that will only be opened to remove or store airbrushes.

Where I'm at right now is probably EVA foam, but do it in two layers. Laser or CNC the top layer and glue it to a thinner bottom layer.

That way I have a perfect form (not hand cut boarders) around my tools, but a soft foam layer on the bottom so their not resting directly on a metal drawer.

Expanded polyethylene sounds interesting, when I search specific plastic types on Amazon it just sort of ignores it and dumps all sorts of options and materials on me, so it's hard to tease out exactly what I'm getting.

If I do go with EVA, and need to bond the top layer to the bottom, what's the best adhesive to use for that?

You know, when I first read the thread title, I thought " I know some girls who store foam in their bras, I'll just ask one of them ".

Seems like you have it all sorted without my having to.
👍

Back