Harbour and Freight Quick Release Airbrush questions

M

Melbee

Hi airfriends,

I've been messing about with Spray Can Style airbrushing using my cheapo AB-800 with a 5mm set up which works but is messy when having to change paint bottles quickly. I've heard about the Harbour and Freight Quick Release Airbrush kit which is only $9.99 and makes changing colours mega easy. http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html I'd like to try this baby out but you can't buy them in Europe with 5 bottles and quick release lids, here they sell with one bottle and lid?!! so not much use to me. However Harbour and Freight don't deliver to Europe!! So I have some questions;

1. Has anyone tried one of these airbrushes?
2. Has anyone bought one and know how big the box is they come in? cm and/or inches (for postage costs)
3. Is there anyone living close to a Harbour and Freight who might be willing to buy 2 kits for me in the USA and post them over to me in Holland?

I would send money to you by Paypal for the Kits and postage costs. I have a friend in the USA who might be able to do it for me but I was wondering if there was anyone willing to help if that doesn't work out. Or I could buy them myself and have them posted to you and then send you the postage costs to send them to me in Holland.

I want to buy 2 Kits because I want the extra bottles. Each Kit comes with 5 bottles so 2 Kits will give me 10 bottles total and the rest of the extra kit will be for spares.

I can get the Kit on Flea Bay which delivers to Holland but the Kit is more expensive and I have no idea how fair their postage costs are. I'm very short of cash so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative way of getting them if I can.

Anyway, PM me if your willing to be a backup with the purchase/postage or answer on this thread about the airbrush itself or the size on the box, you never know when someone else might like that information :D

Cheers Mel

The airbrush you have is already a siphon feed so I don't quite understand why it's so 'messy' when you change colours. The siphon bottles are readily available, unless the siphon hole is a unique size, then spare bottles may be an issue.

The airbrush you have is already a siphon feed so I don't quite understand why it's so 'messy' when you change colours. The siphon bottles are readily available, unless the siphon hole is a unique size, then spare bottles may be an issue.
Hi JackEb,
This style of airbrushing is wet on wet and therefore needs super quick colour changes so I have time to spray colours (acrylic) and then work them before they dry. My siphon feed needs to have the colours sprayed out between colour changes which wastes paint and time, even if it is only seconds, the paint will be drying. I also get paint dripping out the bottom of the airbrush spout when I take the bottle off, so it's messy. Speed is of the escence when working wet on wet with Acrylic paint which as you know dries FAST!! lol:laugh:

The Quick Change Airbrush is a single action, external mix where as my siphon feed is dual action, internal mix. The bottles clip onto the front of the airbrush, this means there is no cleaning before, during or after spraying. I just fill the bottles with different colours and clip one on the airbrush and spray, take it off - clip the next colour on and spray - etc. etc. Nice, clean, simple and FAST!! :D:thumbsup:

This Quick Change Airbrush just chucks out paint and is not meant for anything subtle, I'll use my other airbrushes for that. It's basically doing the same job as spray paint cans!!
Cheers Mel

Mel im close to a harbour freight. But i would think postage will kill the deal..

I have one of those and it sucks! Maybe 2 of the bottles actually work the rest just refuse to spray. It doesn't last very long, the detail kind of sucks. My impression of this brush is just for throwing paint onto something if you can even get it to spray. It's pretty uneven. Also the siphon tube kind of melted when I put thinner in it soooo I'm not sure about euro paints

I have a paasche internal mix siphon feed single action and its pretty incredible. But that's $80 I believe. The jars are glass not plastic? And the lid is metal. Much more reliable

Mel im close to a harbour freight. But i would think postage will kill the deal..
Hey Nada, that's why I wanted to know how big the boxes were and then x 2 so I can try and figure out the postage cost.
I have one of those and it sucks! Maybe 2 of the bottles actually work the rest just refuse to spray. It doesn't last very long, the detail kind of sucks. My impression of this brush is just for throwing paint onto something if you can even get it to spray. It's pretty uneven. Also the siphon tube kind of melted when I put thinner in it soooo I'm not sure about euro paints
Hi Cpt.Nemo, yes that's one of the reasons I wanted more bottles incase some don't work. I'll be using thinned down Acrylic paint so no worries with melting plastic. And I want it to just throw paint, I have my Iwata's for detail airbrushing.
I have a paasche internal mix siphon feed single action and its pretty incredible. But that's $80 I believe. The jars are glass not plastic? And the lid is metal. Much more reliable
I have my AB-800 siphon feed which works reasonably well for this, it has glass bottles too but I can't change the paint bottles as fast as I would like. I know someone who uses the Quick Change Airbrush for wet on wet style painting and they recommended it. :D

What about the Spectrum 2000 system? A lot more money but looks like you will get much better results.

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/sp20cobysite.html

Other than that, why not hone in on you spraycan skills.
Hi Andre, Wow that thing looks great!! BUT way, way too expensive for my experimental/messing around fase lol Acrylic spray cans are expensive too, ten colours will cost around €70 and I don't have the room to store cans!! I already have a ton of Acrylic paint I can use and I wanted to try the Quick Change Airbrush out, plus it's mega cheap :laugh:lol. I can still use the set up I have already until I can afford to buy the Quick Change brush :D.
Always fun to see gizmos I haven't seen before though :)

Search for central pneumatic quick release airbrush. I bet you can find it online. I know amazon sells them and they ship worldwide

I could probably order one and then ship it to you Mel, but the cost would be multiples of the cost of the brushes. Shipping to Europe from the US for some reason is a lot higher than the reverse. It would cost $6.99 plus tax to get it to me, then likely $20-$30 shipping to you. These are estimates of course.

Search for central pneumatic quick release airbrush. I bet you can find it online. I know amazon sells them and they ship worldwide
Thanks Nada, I'll check this out :thumbsup::D

I've had some idea's to improve the setup I've got but I'm sure I'll end up buying the Quick Change airbrush at some point just because I'm curious if it works or not. Just don't have the extra cash right now. Like I said on another thread I want to experiment this year and have some fun messing around throwing paint. You never know what will come out eh? :D:laugh: Probs a load of ole rubbish :laugh:lol But ya never know!! :):Dlol Whoo Hoooooo!!!

I could probably order one and then ship it to you Mel, but the cost would be multiples of the cost of the brushes. Shipping to Europe from the US for some reason is a lot higher than the reverse. It would cost $6.99 plus tax to get it to me, then likely $20-$30 shipping to you. These are estimates of course.
Hey thanks Greg!! I'm holding off for now cos of the lack of cash but it's good to know you'd help out if I need it. Cheers mate :):D

I'm varnishing a portrait, maybe one or two coats to go and then I can start playing!! Whopeeeeee!!! I can still use the setup I've got for now and add some Etac Condition Air or Glycerine to keep the Acrylic paint wet for longer which should help with delays changing colour bottles. Also I've learned I can back flush the paint into the bottle before I take it off which should help with the mess abit. Still I'm looking forward to trying out stuff :D:thumbsup:

Come on 2016!! I'm ready for ya :D:laugh:lol Hope you have a good New Year Greg!!

On marktplaats you can find many simulair single action brushes

Airbrush Set, Air Brush Kit
€ 19,95
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m1002531924
Thanks Patricks, I had a look at this airbrush but it's a bottom feed and the only advantage it has over the airbrush I use now is the external mix will make cleaning a little quicker. Changing colours won't be much different from my internal mix bottom feed.

I'm going to keep using my AB-800 bottom feed and see if I can speed up the colour changes through practise and add a retarder to the paint mix to keep it wet longer. If I can get this system working then it will cost me nothing!! :thumbsup::D It's not worth me investing anymore money when I'm only experimenting. The Quick Change airbrush would have been fun to try but in Europe they sell it with only one bottle (not five bottles like they do in the USA) and one bottle doesn't make for quick colour changes!! lol

Mel, my wife drives near Harbor Freight on the way home from work so she says she can pick it up for you. That will save the shipping to here at least, presuming they have it at that store.

Mel, my wife drives near Harbor Freight on the way home from work so she says she can pick it up for you. That will save the shipping to here at least, presuming they have it at that store.
Thanks Greg, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to get one at some time in the future :)

Back