Iwata quality?

huskystafford

Needle chucking Ninja
Staff member
Admin
Mod
I will make this simple and fast.

I ordered 5 x side feed cups for my micron.
3 of them work nicely in the right hole. 2 of them are falling out. All of those 5 cups work nicely in the left hole of my micron.
All of them work nicely in the eclipse sbs.

Frustrating. I wonted to have 5 cups for my micron which I would use on the right side...

Any thoughts anybody?

I know you do Husky. Everybody knows you do. Your a careful man, and you respect your tools.

That is what made the comment funny. ( To me anyway, no insult intended.)

But to the original topic, Since the fit depends on friction to function any very small change in tube diameter or the thickness of the plating in the airbrush hole would cause the problem you are having. Everything in manufacturing is built to certain tolerances. It's the limitation of the tooling and materials. When you have a +/- of whatever the tolerance is, and you have one part at the largest side of the range and the other at smallest side things don't always fit correctly. There should be an overlap to allow proper function, but in this instance apparently not enough.
Could also be a change in material, suppliers or specifications.
It is a shame they didn't catch it at quality control. They may have an entire production run with the same issues.

DaveG would have a better explanation

Having thought about this a bit more, for what the cups cost, to have 2 out of 5 not work would make me grumpy too. I want to get another cup for the Eclipse and actually considered getting another Eclipse on close-out instead of buying just the cup. I haven't actually done either.

So I should have taken that into consideration before making the 'joke'. Please accept my apology for not taking that into account before posting.

-Joe

I don't mind jokes Joe.

What I do mind is 40% failure rate.

Lets put this in to perspective.

I couldn't order 5 side cups in one order nowhere including in states. The only one which had them was a store in UK.

So here is a calculation:

5 cups - £158.29
shipping - £25.00
-----------------------
210,61 EUR

+ custom charges - 86,41 EUR

= total 297.02 EUR

So 2 of them are 118.80 Eur. 2 which don't work in right side of my micron.

I'm kinda pissed off right now to be honest...

I want to get another cup for the Eclipse and actually considered getting another Eclipse on close-out instead of buying just the cup. I haven't actually done either.
Imagine you order another eclipse on close-out to get that cup and you put that cup in your new eclipse and cup falls out....
Or even better. You order Micron and the same scenario happens. I would go mental.... I'm not in the right mood right now, so I rather be quiet.

You should be able to return, or exchange them from wherever you purchased them from. I get that it is frustrating, and that shipping is going to cost money... but what choice do you have? Onc you get what yu need, you will have them for a lifetime, and this frustration will fade and be forgotten with time...

So I should contact store in UK? I never have been in this kinda situation. Do I get custom charges for replacement as well?

Also if 40% of those cups are faulty, there is possibility I will get faulty ones one more time I guess...

So I should contact store in UK? I never have been in this kinda situation. Do I get custom charges for replacement as well?
I'm in the USA, so have no idea how that is going to work with you - here, I would contact the store I purchased from. Normally I would have to pay to send them back, and then they would send replacements at no additional cost. On Amazon here, they would send a return shipping label to cover the cost, as well.

It is frustrating and shows there is some variation in the cups as some fit and some fall out. When you are spending that kind of money I would want them all to fit perfect. Strange that it is only in your micron right hole the problem occurs.

Do you think the cup stem, on the 2 that fall out, is bottoming out before the taper has enough friction to hold?

Can you measure how far the good ones go in compared to the bad?

It is not ideal but if that was the case and there was more taper left to go in and it could be solved by shaving a bit off the end of the stem then I would be tempted to do that.

BUT I would talk to the supplier first as they will probably not accept them back modified.

I hope you get them sorted 🤞

Rk, is it the stem that tapers, or the hole? I think it's the hole and trimming the tube wouldn't change anything. I could be very wrong on this as I don't have the ability to measure mine. I think it's one or the other, not both.

If it were me, I would contact the dealer who sold it to me, and if I wasn't happy with what he said, contact the Iwata distributor in the UK.
I believe that to be : https://airbrushes.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=j7e0i69offamu3dsrle02mqrdg there may be more than one distributor in the UK, and that may not be the one the dealer uses, It may also be where Husky purchased the cups from, as they sell to the public too.

-Joe

Rk, is it the stem that tapers, or the hole? I think it's the hole and trimming the tube wouldn't change anything. I could be very wrong on this as I don't have the ability to measure mine. I think it's one or the other, not both.

If it were me, I would contact the dealer who sold it to me, and if I wasn't happy with what he said, contact the Iwata distributor in the UK.
I believe that to be : https://airbrushes.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=j7e0i69offamu3dsrle02mqrdg there may be more than one distributor in the UK, and that may not be the one the dealer uses, It may also be where Husky purchased the cups from, as they sell to the public too.

-Joe
You may be right JB, I have not got an iwata cup to measure.

The cups and jars I do have taper at the stem for sure though. It is typically a very shallow taper. If you were to measure them with a Vernier I would not expect the size to increase more than 0.1mm over 8-10mm.

I would also be tempted to try and source cups from Japan if you are returning them because the cups seem alot cheaper there to start with @huskystafford

You are probably right then RK. I'm sure I'm not going to 'eyeball' 0.1mm in 8-10mm. Dave will know.

I double checked on the distribution side and airbrushes.com is the only official distributor in the UK. The link will open to the 'contact us' page of their site. If I was Iwata, I would want to know there is a problem out there.

Hopefully the dealer will have an answer that is satisfactory to end this.
-Joe

I just measured the cups I have and they and they both measure just under 3mm or .117 of an inch.

And My highly scientific process of jamming a cotton bud stem with a bit of tape wrapped around it into the hole shows a slight taper in the brush hole itself :)

seems odd though that only 2 are loose and only on one side!

Back