Making an honest attempt to learn

A

Ace

Hey guys, my name is Ryan. I've spent many hours browsing the forums here over the past couple weeks. After seeing what looks like a very friendly and helpful community here, I figured this is where I need to be, so I decided to sign up.

I originally started becoming interested in airbrushing about 7-8 years ago. That interest greatly stems from hockey goalie masks. I've always been a complete mask geek for as long as I can remember. I'll often open a folder or flash drive (one of many) of mask pictures, and I'll instantly get sucked right in and end up spending the next couple hours just looking over pictures, and often imagining painting replicas of some of the mask paint schemes (as well as designing and painting my own).

So about 7-8 years ago when I first became interested, I went on ebay and bought an airbrush and compressor kit deal. It was a Central Pneumatic 34843 compressor and a 1500 airbrush (double-action siphon feed, not even sure of the nozzle size). What I didnt do though, was any homework whatsoever, except take a quick peek at a basic "lines and dots" tutorial. I was kind of "young and dumb" if you want to call it that. I was impatient and just wanting to start spraying and painting masks as fast as I could, instead of approaching it the way it needs to be approached. I had some black acrylic enamel paint from when I used to do car models, so I put some in the cup and started spraying, which needless to say, didnt work out too well. At some point, I also tried spraying some water-based Faskolor metallic gold (I dont actually remember doing it, but theres a little bit on the airbrush where the cup connects). Of course I had no idea what I was doing, and because of that, it didnt work out too well. So after that I basically ran some water through the brush and then packed it up. I hadnt taken the airbrush out again after that for several years, due to being caught up in other interests (some not necessarily good ones, like partying too much).

So fast-forward to a few weeks ago. Now that I'm a little older (just turned 30) and settled down, I've had a complete rejuvenated interest and motivation for airbrushing. I've spent countless hours over the past couple weeks reading through these forums, reading other forums/websites, watching tons of youtube videos, and doing any kind of other research I can. I've been trying to learn and gather as much information as possible first, before I pick up the airbrush again. Everything from how the airbrush works, cleaning it, different kinds of paints and how they function, troubleshooting, and all kinds of other stuff. I'm about ready to start spraying some paint and practice practice practice. And I also bought a basic set of the water-based Createx paints to start with.

Of course the first order of business is the airbrush itself. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying a new one that is better quality than what I have. It seems the general consensus is at the very least, buy a Neo, because the Chinese knock-offs are too hit-and-miss. However, I probably wont be doing that until sometime after the holidays (money is always tight around Christmas). So for now, I want to see if I can still use the AB (common abbreviation right?) that I originally purchased, just for the time being. Its definitely going to need a good cleaning though. I dont have the specific AB cleaner or restorer, and I'm probably not going to purchase any of that stuff until I get a new AB. So for the time being, I just want to see if I can get this thing working with what I've got around the house, and I'm hoping maybe you guys might have some suggestions. One thing I've found in all my research is a lot of conflicting info. Some people/places say you can use "such-and-such", and then some say DONT use it. So what might work thats around the house? Just warm soapy water, or some paint thinner, or some mineral spirits, or some Green Works, or some Windex (with no ammonia), or what else? And then how should I go about the process? Certain parts I should soak? Certain parts I should try cleaning with soft pipe cleaners? It comes apart fine, and the needle comes out (has some paint on it, but I also have a spare), so nothing is stuck together, but I'm sure theres paint inside of it somewhere. I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some direction of the process I should go through. As I said before, I should eventually have a better quality AB to work with, but for the time being, I'm hoping I can tinker with this one for a couple-few weeks.

Sorry if this was kind of long to read. This seems like a great place to be if you're into airbrushing, so I figured the best thing I could do for myself right now is get involved here. Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, and for any advice you may be able to offer. Its greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome home Ace, Nice to add you to the family ,
Now if you happen to live in the USA and have a Hobby lobby or a Michael's in your area , Print the 40% off coupon on anything in the store and so buy Iwata Eclipse CS(hobby Lobby) or Badger model 105 patriot (Michael's Craft)
Also see if you can pick you WICKED by Createx , It is a better paint for you goal and is color fast so does not fade like the standard Createx made for t-shirts.
Granted I started with standard Createx and figured out a way to make it work but also found out that in sun light it will fade.

But you have picked the right place to learn , share, hang out and have fun .
[h=1][/h]

Welcome aboard!! Glad your getting back into it!! You shall find every answer here to any question that you have :subdued:, and then some lol!!

Welcome to the forum! Like Herb said, the Eclipse or Patriot would be a great choice, even after you buy a dozen or so more brushes, you'll still use the Eclipse or Patriot as a workhorse. :)

Welcome to the forum from NH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I appreciate that. I think every other forum I've ever been to never had an introduction section in which lots of people are actually welcoming. For those curious, I'm from Massachusetts (northeast of the US). Pretty cold this time of year.

Micron, thanks for the advice. I actually have a Michaels store in the next town over, so I'll have to check that out. I didnt even realize they sold anything airbrush related. I also just found out theres a place close to me called BearAir, which I guess is supposed to be a huge art warehouse, so I'll be checking that place out too.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I appreciate that. I think every other forum I've ever been to never had an introduction section in which lots of people are actually welcoming. For those curious, I'm from Massachusetts (northeast of the US). Pretty cold this time of year.

Micron, thanks for the advice. I actually have a Michaels store in the next town over, so I'll have to check that out. I didnt even realize they sold anything airbrush related. I also just found out theres a place close to me called BearAir, which I guess is supposed to be a huge art warehouse, so I'll be checking that place out too.

Yes sir bearair is in your neck of the woods BearAir - Airbrush Supplies - Airbrushes - Compressors
Michael's carries Spectra_tex airbrush paints which is made by Badger and really great paint for when you are first starting out.
We all look forward to seeing the airbrush world keep growing. The more folks we can help out and get into airbrushing the better the world.
Mitch aka AirbrushTutor saying is Spread the love.. That is what we do.

Hi there Ace, welcome from the uk. A great bunch of people here, looking forward to seeing some of your work, and shout out any questions you have, or just join in the banter.

Welcome- You are definitely in the right place. Great people and great advice. I've never heard anyone on here say anything in a negative manner; a lot of good hearted ribbing, but all in fun. One word of advice... don't listen to Meeshell or Cuda (they're Detroit Lions fans. Sorry you two, couldn't resist:friendly_wink:) Sounds like you will do well with your new found passion.

Hello and welcome from the US...PA, this is the best place to be no matter if your a beginner or a pro. Everyone here is always willing to help, there is a ton of talent and a wealth of knowledge all for the asking!

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:cheerful:

Back