Noob from the UK

R

Robzki

hi all,

Thought I'd better say hello and quickly introduce myself. I have had a quick look around the forum and there is a wealth of information which mostly goes over my head. Hopefully after a while here some of it may make sense

I am from Devon in the UK and I am pretty much an absolute amateur when it comes to airbrushing and 'art' I do however have an active imagination and vision which is my achilles heel if I am honest. I have 'several' project cars, bikes and machinery projects here, which because I can see them finished in every detail even down to the reflections, lighting and shadows in my imagination I find little point in getting them finished. How can they be better in real life as they are in my mind? I am trying to prioritise them and actually see one through to the end.

I have had an unbranded airbrush in my toolbox for as long as I can remember but have only messed about with one a couple of times for a very brief spell. I have done a fair amount of vehicle refinishing in the past but I have forgotten more than I now know, so its all new to me now. I do love learning though so it is a good thing.

At the moment I have an unbranded airbrush(yeah I know), several compressors ranging from v old airbrush compressors to workshop(150ltr 13cfm) types. Watertraps etc etc. The only airbrush paint I have is a Createx black, Createx reducer and a cleaner.

I am on a v strict budget of £0 at the moment but hopefully I have enough to keep me occupied while practicing getting to grips with feel of an airbrush in general. I have tried a few lines and dots and they seem fairly self explanatory and I am enjoying these. The dagger strokes have me flummoxed which is wholly my fault and definitely nothing to do with the airbrush or the paint. i will carry on with these for a while and then post a few practice images so I can hopefully get some input from some people with more knowledge than I will ever have. .

My main aim is just to learn and try something different. If this leads to pinting something on one of my bikes in a year or two then that would make me happy

Well, waffled for far too long, thanks for listening.

Rob

Hey Rob, welcome from New Zealand - that would be sunny Devon... :) Been often discussions here regarding cream teas, correct application, weather and stuff!! What part of Devon? Is it straight createx or is it createx illustraiton? If he former you might find it frustrating. But, like you say, time for learning. If you can get some other paints they might be easier to learn on. Read and ask lots, time to learn.

:) Cheers Mark

welcome from Australia Rob.
my no name brush has long since been binned but it taught me HEAPS :) mostly how to tear a brush down for a deep clean, and because of the price I wasn't to concerned if I broke it, and it helped me confirm that i wanted to keep going with better brushes. LOL the createx paints can be very frustrating while trying to get it to spray right and I eventually got some Etac paint and that was a lot easier. (Com-Art are similarly good)
You seem to have the right attitude so you'll be fine - dagger strokes are a problem for lots of us (putting my hand up) so don't feel alone there.

Thanks to both of you

The weather has been far from Sunny lately, hopefully due to change soon as I have 15acres of hay to make before the long winter sets in.

It is jam first then cream. They say that is the Cornish way but it isnt. It is the olde Devon way. It is always Jam first otherwise the jam hits the roof of your mouth first and then overpowers the subtle cream. It is also a bugger to spread jam on an animated object such as clotted cream. Others may have different opinions but they are widely known to be wrong.

I have played with the createx and havent found any downsides yet, I will hopefully find them soon as then I will know I am learning. The same will hopefully be said about the brush. For a minute the paint and the brush are working far better than I am.

I will have a look and see which paint it is in the morning.

Thanks again and hopefully the world looks better upside down

Rob

It is jam first then cream. They say that is the Cornish way but it isnt. It is the olde Devon way. It is always Jam first otherwise the jam hits the roof of your mouth first and then overpowers the subtle cream. It is also a bugger to spread jam on an animated object such as clotted cream. Others may have different opinions but they are widely known to be wrong.

well that's the theory Mark and myself work with !!

if you're curious why it was mentioned.......

http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/hi-from-cornwall-uk.15852/
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/devon-tea.15953/#post-237643

lollollol

I agree perfectly... the Devon cream tea turned up when they pushed the Cornish further south!! :) You will have a counterpart form near you argue the toss but hey... that's the fun of it!

Hi and Welcome from Newton Abbot DEVON:D:D:whistling:,Nr Holsworthy...oh well somebody`s got to live there....Too close to Kernow:eek::eek:.The Minion truck that I did lives up there.Dont get me started on cream teaslollol.

It is too close to Cornwall (1mile) but I have spent many a happy hour sat at the border throwing stones at the pasty munchers.

It is a little known fact that the pasty was invented to give sustenance to the poor Cornish down the escape tunnels trying to make their way into Devon. 'Tin mining' was just a ruse setup to cover their plans to improve themselves. The Somersetians were intellectually more savvy so they invented Cider so they could drown their sorrows caused by not being born Devonian.

On a different note the black I have is Createx auto air semi opaque with 4011 reducer. I have had a play on a fridge door today and will try and get a pic up of my first attempt at some practice lines etc just so I can laugh at myself later if I ever improve(cant get worse tbh unless I spill some paint down the front of a fridge)

Thanks all for the warm welcome

Rob

Back