Recommendation for painting on wallpaper

Thomas Nielsen

Young Tutorling
Hi.

I'm going to decorate a kids room with airplane, cars and such. But is just have to be in plane/flat colors like red, green, blue and yellow ect.
The walls will be light sky blue I the opportunity part and grass green on the lower part. All the different shapes will be painted on top of those baggrund colors. That is why the paint have to be opaque. (I think)
I can locally buy AutoAir, Wicked, Createx Illustration, Com-Art and Trident.
I have been looking at Wicked w101, primary color kit.

The idea is the I'll blend the colors I need from the primary colors.
But I don't know witch one is both easy to blend/mix and have a good coverage. (no transparency is needed)

Thanks
Thomas..

Last edited:
If your doing basic airplanes, cars and such, plan your positions and sizes first, make cut outs and/or mask the areas where your shapes will be, keep these areas white or paint them white with same wall paint if it's already blue, after that you can use transparent or opaque as you please.

When you say blend colours I assume you mean mixing your own shades, if you put these shades straight onto the blue you will experience a shift you won't want even with opaque, this will happen worse with reds and yellows or mixes containing one or both, straight onto white your colours will be safe, I'm not saying it can't be done but you would waste a lot of time and paint otherwise.

Nearly forgot, a colour wheel is always handy, they're not that expensive and will show what you'll get when mixing your primaries both with each other and with black and white.

Do the main shapes with a paint brush and only do blends like highlights and shadows with an airbrush.

I think i have to do some testing first.
But i'm surprised that even opaque colors behaved differently on colored and white braskground.
Could it be a solution to use primers insted?

But i'm surprised that even opaque colors behaved differently on colored and white braskground.

Yes you could prime the area first. But mixed media will be much faster and cost effective than pure airbrushing.

You don't need any primers, as I said and Andre also, simply brush in your main grafics shapes with ordinary white wall paint, I could almost garantee that you'll have some lying around your shed, your ordinary wall paint is as good a primer as any other on a wall and is therefore an ideal base for what you want to do, I'm a painter and decorator and when the need calls for it we prime new untreated small wood items with it which acceptible as long as it's the good quality trade stuff we normally use, we wouldn't use crap from the lesser respected D.I.Y. stores, so wall paint on wall paint really can't go wrong.

If you don't think you can brush your shapes in good enough, simply cut the shapes out if cardboard the desired size and stipple around the edges with your brush and then easily brush in the rest.

There has been no mention of "wallpaper" at all? If the wall paper is good and still sticking on the wall and the creases are not peeling up your ok to paint it.

If it hasn't been painted before use a good real primer. If it had been painted already then reg paint will work.
I don't want to get into a ipso facto, but I never substitute primer with reg paint.

There has been no mention of "wallpaper" at all? If the wall paper is good and still sticking on the wall and the creases are not peeling up your ok to paint it.

If it hasn't been painted before use a good real primer. If it had been painted already then reg paint will work.
I don't want to get into a ipso facto, but I never substitute primer with reg paint.

After forty years doing the same job I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing, I don't substitute primer fir regular paint, acrylic quick drying primer is pretty much the same as most regular wall paint.

We don't use acrylic primers and/or wallpaints intended for indoors outside, when I mentioned small items I'm talking parts the the carpenter left bare after planing or shaping, we will use indoor wall paint matt to fix this before proceeding with the normal course of work, unless the house has no roof it rarely rains indoors;)

The wallpaper hasn't been mentioned because we know already it has been painted with regular wall paint so painting the basic shapes using the same or similar paint will suffice, I've done my share of murals indoors but with brushes and I would normally use the same paint as is on the wall.

So just so I understand this right.
When I volunteered for this small project I thought is was an excellent way to practice my airbrush skills, but this could actually be done with standard paint and a paint brush. And with standard paint and a brush it is actually cheaper and easier to get a good result.
Is that understood correct?

So just so I understand this right.
When I volunteered for this small project I thought is was an excellent way to practice my airbrush skills, but this could actually be done with standard paint and a paint brush. And with standard paint and a brush it is actually cheaper and easier to get a good result.
Is that understood correct?

LOL, practice your skills as you wish, I think the idea is to have fun practicing and make your child happy at the same time, so just do your shapes in white if you can and then blast away to your hearts content.

You could use mixed media and cheaper paints but any saving you make would probably only amount to cents, and I know from experience that your own child is worth every penny you spend on them, no amount of money could buy the feeling you get when you make your child happy:thumbsup:

I hope you show us some photos when your done:)

Well now is the time for me to tell you all about my efforts to day.
But first a few pictures.

89ad84c1e1107675559c17001cdc2af0.jpg

92b27a70a2b4f14816b8ccb87f68ffcd.jpg

It was fun and a good learning experience.
I ended up with buying Trident colors. (love working with them) and mixed the colors I needed.
I started to cut the stencils for the clouds by hand, but when I got to the airplanes I lost my patience and bought a Silhouette plotter. [emoji1]

So I have spend the last week cutting out stencils for the project. Wow that is so much fun.

af9ac58e74f727d0f96d8fe06a079e80.jpg

27f1a30ab07eed5e385d51c31f3d0742.jpg

I learned the hard way that a free hand shield on textured wallpaper is bad and paper application tape is much easier than regular painter's masking tape.
I did have some under spray or runners but that was expected on textured wallpaper.

But all in all I'm pretty satisfied with the result.

Last a little picture of the working table at the end of the day.
7d5c2c0133d9f9db0b3e0319ecbd3edb.jpg

Looks good to me, I don't believe you mentioned a texture on the wallpaper unless I missed it? But it looks great, what's the kids verdict;)

Back