Trident water based paints ??

I would presume you could use water BUT i know it will take longer to dry. I did a little test yesterday where i put the same quantity of water and the reducer through the ab on to a piece of paper and the reducer evaporated in a flash where as the water was still there ages later .

I would presume you could use water BUT i know it will take longer to dry. I did a little test yesterday where i put the same quantity of water and the reducer through the ab on to a piece of paper and the reducer evaporated in a flash where as the water was still there ages later .

Thanks, the reason I ask is that some of the water based paints border on being a solvent based paint. The simple fact it dries a lot or any quicker than water leads me to believe there are other chemicals at work (yes, I know that's obvious else you wouldn't need a special reducer :)).
Check the MSDS of all water based/waterbourne paints carefully as the term 'water based' can be misleading. You don't want to be spraying something in your house or art studio that is using a solvent, alcohol or amonia based product in a reducer. If you need to mix home made concoctions to make your paint work just be careful as the vapours produced can be quite toxic and even flamable, or just buy solvent based paints and take the normal precautions, at least you won't be tempted to be as lax on your safety ;)

The bottom line is all water based paints are not created equal, just be aware of that and take the right precautions :)

Thanks, the reason I ask is that some of the water based paints border on being a solvent based paint. The simple fact it dries a lot or any quicker than water leads me to believe there are other chemicals at work (yes, I know that's obvious else you wouldn't need a special reducer :)).
Check the MSDS of all water based/waterbourne paints carefully as the term 'water based' can be misleading. You don't want to be spraying something in your house or art studio that is using a solvent, alcohol or amonia based product in a reducer. If you need to mix home made concoctions to make your paint work just be careful as the vapours produced can be quite toxic and even flamable, or just buy solvent based paints and take the normal precautions, at least you won't be tempted to be as lax on your safety ;)

The bottom line is all water based paints are not created equal, just be aware of that and take the right precautions :)

Yes thats true, i have some waterbased candy colors here from JVR a new brand here sold in germany. And those colors are pretty smelly and there is alcohol in them from what i read in a german forum.
From what i know in the Wicked colors is also a little bit of solvent, but they are not smelling. Also when i started out i had Valeo modle air colors, they also have something in there cause they smelled awfull but were waterbased.
Schmincke and Hansa that i use are pure waterbased and dont smell at all.

Most waterbased paints still advice you to use a proper respirator with filters... should say enough ;)

You should always use a respirator as anything other than air in your lungs is bad .

I have just finished a couple of hours experimenting and practicing with Trident .I was going over the tutorials again for practice in black and when looking at line fades etc they were still black .I decided to mix with transparent base at 2-1-1 ratios . This fixed the blackness and allowed me to blend and fade as per the looks of the tutorial . I found the same with the figure 8 texturing ,it was still too black so i used the transparent mix again .I then went gung ho at doing the EYE tutorial with reduced black yep the black bits were great ,but for the textures again i needed to use the transparent mix as it was just too black using normal reduced black . Due to my shaky hands a lot of this could well be down to me and my bad techniques (probably is) yet my work has improved since i started using Trident .Once again no tip dry great .Flows with no problem and mixes easily .Once i had my reducing sorted to suit my set up i have also been able to pull a lot finer line which i was unable to do with other paints i have used .So from a newbies point of view all good so far .I do however foresee using a lot of transparent base lol .

I have just finished a couple of hours experimenting and practicing with Trident .I was going over the tutorials again for practice in black and when looking at line fades etc they were still black .I decided to mix with transparent base at 2-1-1 ratios . This fixed the blackness and allowed me to blend and fade as per the looks of the tutorial . I found the same with the figure 8 texturing ,it was still too black so i used the transparent mix again .I then went gung ho at doing the EYE tutorial with reduced black yep the black bits were great ,but for the textures again i needed to use the transparent mix as it was just too black using normal reduced black . Due to my shaky hands a lot of this could well be down to me and my bad techniques (probably is) yet my work has improved since i started using Trident .Once again no tip dry great .Flows with no problem and mixes easily .Once i had my reducing sorted to suit my set up i have also been able to pull a lot finer line which i was unable to do with other paints i have used .So from a newbies point of view all good so far .I do however foresee using a lot of transparent base lol .

Super, I shall treat this as advice and employ it forthwith, and have another bash at the Leopard, so thanks for that:encouragement:

Thanks for sharing ferret :)
And apparently its not just you, that the colors seem to be very strong and need alot of reducing for fades etc. Hear/read that all over the place ;)

FirePanther until i used this i did not think i would fine a water based AB paint with this much pigment concentration in it .The pros of this are it behaves like a concentrated washing liquid and will last a lot longer .My main tetrosyl water based auto paint ,for the same reasons gives me a 40% saving over my other systems .The other big plus is the coverage especially reds which have tended to be a pain with other systems requiring an white under coat to get them to cover .This is not the case where high pigment quantities are found .

Good evening all just a bit of an update for you on my experience with Trident .First off "white " yep it goes a very long way and produces great results.However i did find that for my set up using it straight from the bottle gave better results than the 1-1 ratio called for in the tech sheets .I have today for the first time tried to mix and use the "candy colours" .This was at the recommended 7 parts transparent to 3 parts colour and an equal amount of reducer .This really worked well IMHO and gave the desired effect when i was doing a space scene .I am in the process of mixing up some colours for use in my real fire practice ,so i will let you know how i get on later .Overall so far i am still impressed with Trident .

Thx for posting more of your impressions about the paint ferret :) . Im pretty sure that the mixed candy colors for the true fire also work good.
Cant wait to see a pic of the result, maybe you can post it ;)

Sorry for the late reply just been so busy ,i dont know where the time has gone .Well i have been trying to do fire in a lot of different ways and just trying to get a way i am happy with .I have tried various candy mixes with trident now and i am just impressed. The colours are strong and vibrant .iI will post some pics next week please only take note of the colours and not my attempts at airbrushing lol . I have again even though i have abused the crap out of the mixing ratios etc really been unable to fault its performance and still no tip dry ,which was a regular pain when using my automotive water based paint systems . I have also had no problems with bleeding or adhesion when applied over other types of paint .I have also emailed Trident to see if they can give me there mixes for there true fire sets they sell in europe .

Trident paints

Hi there, i am in Australia where Trrident paints are readily available. I read some excellent feedbacks before giving them a go. I have found them excellent. I have read reports of many airbrushers changing over to it . Apparently it is being recognized as the best water based paint on the market. I personally have had tremendous success with it. I hope for your sake it becomes available in your countery. Cheers.
Good afternoon all ,i have seen and heard a lot of good things regarding these paints .So i looked into purchasing some in the uk however it appears that our only importer is dropping the line due to a slow uptake and the fact that the import duties from our friends in oz are too high . I have tried to contact Trident direct on a few occasions with no reply . Firstly i need to know if there is going to be a uk importer .I also want to know from anyone who has experience with using this paint 1st hand what its actually like good or bad i would like your views. Thanx in advance .

Trident paints

As a follow up to my last information for you, here is my first attempt at flames and also one of my first jobs using Trident paints, a hard hat " PHOENIX RISING "PC110084.jpgPC110085.jpgcheers
Good afternoon all ,i have seen and heard a lot of good things regarding these paints .So i looked into purchasing some in the uk however it appears that our only importer is dropping the line due to a slow uptake and the fact that the import duties from our friends in oz are too high . I have tried to contact Trident direct on a few occasions with no reply . Firstly i need to know if there is going to be a uk importer .I also want to know from anyone who has experience with using this paint 1st hand what its actually like good or bad i would like your views. Thanx in advance .

I love them and will continue to use them as they give me the desired results .

Yeah, mate, that helmet has 6 coats of spray can clear coat, then hand buffed and polished. Hope to improve on my flames, but you have to start somewhere,hey.
That looks really cool, i still need to try out the Trident paints but at the moment i have too many other paints sitting around lol. Is that helmet cleared already on the photos?

And you guys like this paint ? Its great to compare other brands ? Like Wicked, ETAC, com-art, ... ,... ,... ???

Last edited by a moderator:
And ... mapleairbrushsupply.com have this paint ... its in Canada but they ship in US

Back