Truecolor app review

I

Iceman

A friend of mine has put a review of a Mac OS truecolor app for I-phones and tablets, great tool for finding and mixing colors. The only problem is that they don't have an Android based app, well after contacting them about a future app for us Android users their response was" due to the fact they don't have a Android designer on staff , BUT if enough interest was generated that they would consider an Android platform" , currently the app costs $2.99 but to me it is well worth the small price. So after viewing the review and you are an Android user and would like to have something like this available to give them a shout and maybe, just maybe if they get enough emails I hope they would consider designing an app for Android. Here is a link for the review
and the link to the developers website,http://www.snickerdoodle.co/contact-us/

with the mac app you can take a picture and use the pointer and where the pointer is it will give you the color mix, I have the windows based one

Hey guys what a great little app!
If you get frustrated and waste as much paint as I do when trying to match and mix colours then this is a great little helper!
Ok it's not going to make you a colour guru over night and colour theory and mixing is a skill that's only mastered with time and practice .
But what I do love about this is it makes it really quick and easy to pinpoint the colours and ratios needed to get you going in the right direction.
The camera option is a brilliant aid, for instance, today I used it on a antique fishing reel that was hand painted in many different camo colours. There was a big scratch right through about three different colours and a mate asked me to paint it in. So I took a photo using the app, moved the pointy colour thing over the part I want to match and hey presto...gave me all the ratios and colours to match it...boom!
As I said this is just an aid but such a good one and could save you loads of wasted paint mixing disasters, plus you will learn a lot along the way.
Well worth £1:99 in my book....If you are like me with a memory

This looks great! Please bear with me, I have dyscalulia, and anything mathematical or numerical is a mystery to me (couldn't even tell you my own phone number Lol Good job I have my sparkling wit and personality to fall back on PMSL :D lol:)). I measure out paint drop by drop, but I wouldn't want to use say 50 drops of one colour with 30 of another and 28 of another etc, as I would waste more than I used. So to make a smaller amount could you divide each amount by 4 say, or would that change the colour. Sorry to be a thickie, it's just the way I'm wired.

This looks great! Please bear with me, I have dyscalulia, and anything mathematical or numerical is a mystery to me (couldn't even tell you my own phone number Lol Good job I have my sparkling wit and personality to fall back on PMSL :D lol:)). I measure out paint drop by drop, but I wouldn't want to use say 50 drops of one colour with 30 of another and 28 of another etc, as I would waste more than I used. So to make a smaller amount could you divide each amount by 4 say, or would that change the colour. Sorry to be a thickie, it's just the way I'm wired.
I think you could divide # of drops needed and still come up with the same results if I remember it deals in percentages also

Thanks iceman! Percentages are beyond me I'm afraid, if it's got numbers in it, it might just as well be written in greek. I have to stick to simple, dividing by 4 on a calculater and counting drops I can just about manage.

The app is a great idea and would give a descent starting point. The problem comes down to whether the paints you are using are true primary colors. I would think if you took the same mixture and used 5 different paint brands, they would all come out different. For example, Createx Illustration uses Cobalt Blue as where ETAC uses Phthalo Blue. Great idea in theory, but in application, it may not work out.

nice app , theres a free windows based one here that is very similar
http://trycolors.com/

another one that you can change mediums with

http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/mixer/
thanks I was a little bummed I couldn't use the true color app as I run IE and droid.. as stated above its not perfect but I played around with some wicked tonight and it comes out pretty friken close with the trycolor but then again I have every color wicked has put out and it covers me. for someone using a paint system that has only primary's or someone just getting started these look like great apps

thanks I was a little bummed I couldn't use the true color app as I run IE and droid.. as stated above its not perfect but I played around with some wicked tonight and it comes out pretty friken close with the trycolor but then again I have every color wicked has put out and it covers me. for someone using a paint system that has only primary's or someone just getting started these look like great apps
hey k.o that's why I posted the link to snickerdoodle's website so if you are interested shoot them an email and maybe if enough people show interest they would consider coming up with an app for the Android OS

Createx uses true Primary colors, it should work pretty well with Wicked and Createx Illustration.

I wonder about technology like this. With the way cameras work vs how the human eye works, can't help but wonder how off it really would be. Think about it, you take a pic of something and it's all dark, but in reality it's perfectly lit up. Also with how crappy the camera is on iphones vs android.... like mentioned before, what your pigments are made with really changes everything. Your eye is the best judge. And even with that we all see the same color differently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wonder about technology like this. With the way cameras work vs how the human eye works, can't help but wonder how off it really would be. Think about it, you take a pic of something and it's all dark, but in reality it's perfectly lit up. Also with how crappy the camera is on iphones vs android.... like mentioned before, what your pigments are made with really changes everything. Your eye is the best judge. And even with that we all see the same color differently.

Camera sensor, shutter speed, exposure, light source, white balance, etc are all going to be a factor. The huge variation in phone cameras and quality will definitely be a variable also. Android would have a much larger variation due to the sheer number of phone manufacturers, sensors, and algorithms used to auto adjust when the shutter button is hit.

sometimes things need overcompensating for the painting to work, eye is the best judge as immortal says - tho these apps are good to get a rough idea.
airbrush work is usually for close up viewing , i went for a walk round Birmingham art museum (UK) today and took a look at some of the 17-18c work which was oil on board/canvas (to see the brush strokes and try and work out how they have done things ) - i still find it amazing that you look at some of them close up and think 'meh' - but step back 12ft and look again and think 'jesus christ' -as the thing jumps out and comes to life.

So why is it that when you show someone an airbrushed artwork they get right up close till they touch it with their nose...does my head in!!:mad::D

As I did say earlier, this app by no means will make up for time and experience spent mixing, I for one am crap at working out how to mix colours and know it will only take practice, so this app for me just gets me going in the right direction from the get go as I can see the ratio's of each colour to mix!
Of course it will also come down to which paint system you are using and not many sets have just straight primarys....but it will help you learn as an aid.
Mitch will tell you, I sat with him mixing up loads of colours for a portrait we was going to do for a show and the guy just looked at a colour and instantly knew how to mix it, needed more red or blue etc etc.....and I was like 'how the feck do you do that'...just experience and knowing colour theory.
so as I am so crap at it...I look for any help:toesies:

If I ever get time to sit down for hours at a time lol, I'll try and break down the art of color mixing by eye best as I can. I have to think myself because it's second nature now so have to go back and remember why it needs blue, black etc. I rarely used color banks when I was doing collision repair. It was always spray a few test panels and examine. I've mixed using exact ratios per oem, and they rarely match. Think about it, end of the week, oh excrement we running low on black, let's add blue and red instead. Not noticeable until you try and match factory color when in fact factory isn't even factory lol. A little idea of how crazy colors are, in black and white vehicles alone, there are over 50 shades of white and blue used. Some white has red, or yellow and I've even seen green. To make white "brighter" you add a very small drop of blue. It really is an art all in itself. My dad has this mastered more than I do when it comes to basecoats. He can look at a color and instantly tell you all the colors in it.

So why is it that when you show someone an airbrushed artwork they get right up close till they touch it with their nose...does my head in!!:mad::D

lol i think its because with the very good airbrush artists most people will think its a photograph - if not a print , if not that and they are learning art themselves and know nothing about airbrushing they will be wondering how it seamlessly blends :)

...take it as a compliment , it means your work is good enough to fool people into thinking the above.

Anybody have link to the App Store for it as when I type it in the search bar no results come up, well none that look like it's for this anyway,

Back