Mixing my own High Flow Acrylics

A

Arent Jack

Today I started making my own High Flow Acrylics using cheap acrylic paint, windolene (windex), distilled water, 92% isopropyl alcohol and glycerin. I used a bit of pantyhose as a filter. Tried it out in a cheap 0.2mm airbrush, worked great, good flow, good coverage and fast drying. I was surprised how good it worked. Tomorrow gonna experiment a bit more and try it in my H&S infinity 0.15 mm!!
55673F6C-43D6-47B7-9CDD-E68FE092121E.jpeg 6C755814-917D-4B24-B184-EB18F850AB17.jpeg 55673F6C-43D6-47B7-9CDD-E68FE092121E.jpeg

I like it! Especially for the people in places where it is hard to get airbrush paint. When all you need is a good flowing paint to do some art on paintings that arent going to be on a vehicle or exposed to the elements and longevity is not the biggest concern, createx or wicked or whatever seem like overkill to me. A good formula for using cheap artist acrylics needs to happen.

Hey @Arent Jack please be aware atomising IPA or windex are not recommended by manufacutrers or anyone here. We are interested in people mixing their own paints, etc but we are also very keen to see people spraying for a long time without compromising their health.

For yourself PLEASE use an approved filter that is suitable for IPA protection and ensure you advise people to do the same.

Thanks for your assistance. :)

I've had good luck recently using just liquitex varnish, artist acrylic and a bit of water for my practice painting. The varnish is very thin and cuts way down on the need to reduce further.

FORUM DISCLAIMER: 'Home brews' or suggestions of 'tweaking' a commercial product can be hazardous to your equipment, your health or the health of those around you. Persons using the information contained on this forum do so voluntarily and at their own risk and should ensure appropriate precautions are taken by using the recommended Personal Protective Equipment and ventilation.

I've had good luck recently using just liquitex varnish, artist acrylic and a bit of water for my practice painting. The varnish is very thin and cuts way down on the need to reduce further.
Thats intersting! I happen to have liquitex varnish in my studio. How much did you use?

FORUM DISCLAIMER: 'Home brews' or suggestions of 'tweaking' a commercial product can be hazardous to your equipment, your health or the health of those around you. Persons using the information contained on this forum do so voluntarily and at their own risk and should ensure appropriate precautions are taken by using the recommended Personal Protective Equipment and ventilation.
I totally agree with this! On a side note though spraying ordinary airbrush cleaner just the smallest amount through my airbrush seems to hit my lungs pretty bad so I just use this for soaking parts.... Isn’t windex sprayed in normal use too btw? I’m a big fan of windole/windex for many uses in airbrushing but then again I work in a large open space... I have the feeling it’s fine because it’s atomised/vapourised straight out of the bottle too in every day cleaning use, but I will check this with my GP!

I totally agree with this! On a side note though spraying ordinary airbrush cleaner just the smallest amount through my airbrush seems to hit my lungs pretty bad so I just use this for soaking parts.... Isn’t windex sprayed in normal use too btw? I’m a big fan of windole/windex for many uses in airbrushing but then again I work in a large open space... I have the feeling it’s fine because it’s atomised/vapourised straight out of the bottle too in every day cleaning use, but I will check this with my GP!

You should always wear a mask, water based is no different. Atomisation through an airbrush will float in the air substantially longer and will be inhaled easier than a regular trigger spray bottle , as you've discovered with the air cleaner.

In the picture you also show Isopropyl Alcohol, which is also a nasty when atomised

All we are saying is be safe, mask up and use adequate ventilation.

You should always wear a mask, water based is no different. Atomisation through an airbrush will float in the air substantially longer and will be inhaled easier than a regular trigger spray bottle , as you've discovered with the air cleaner.

In the picture you also show Isopropyl Alcohol, which is also a nasty when atomised

All we are saying is be safe, mask up and use adequate ventilation.
Hmm ok.... never seen anyone doing that though?? Any particular type of mask?

the RZ masks are popular for waterbased paint, if you're going to be spraying things like cleaners/ windex/ isopropyl then you need to go up a grade to something that is suitable for IPA protection as @markjthomson has suggested.
They're readily available from a good hardware store - the same type of mask they'd use for aerosol paints

Hmm ok.... never seen anyone doing that though?? Any particular type of mask?
When people do videos they do not wear a mask so they can talk while in the video. But most of the pros will make a statement to mask up all the time.
But it is cool seeing someone make their own paint.

the RZ masks are popular for waterbased paint, if you're going to be spraying things like cleaners/ windex/ isopropyl then you need to go up a grade to something that is suitable for IPA protection as @markjthomson has suggested.
They're readily available from a good hardware store - the same type of mask they'd use for aerosol paints
Ok cool! Gonna pick some up first thing tomorrow! Can you reuse these or are they for one time use?

both the RZ for normal waterbased airbrush paint and the proper respirator for paint fumes/odours are reusable BUT you will need to purchase additional filters once they become clogged. (yes the RZ mask also uses filters)

When people do videos they do not wear a mask so they can talk while in the video. But most of the pros will make a statement to mask up all the time.
But it is cool seeing someone make their own paint.

and they also have appropriate ventilation (exhausts, not just a box fan) going on that we dont see

Back