For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Normal cleaning then using Airbrush restorer to show what was still in the brush

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting!' started by basepaint, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Jezurus

Jezurus Gravity Guru

I have the same problem, any paint, any mixture/reduction, after a couple minutes my nice fine lines start spitting and clogging, I clean the tip, blow it out, same deal every time, now short of cleaning out the airbrush every five minutes I'm kinda at a loss, the only variable I can think of is my cheap compressor "pulses" when painting a line you can see the paint get lighter and darker, thicker and thinner with the pulse of the comp. could this be the prob? I've got the pressure switch cranked to where the comp will stay on about the whole time im spraying, which is gonna burn it up, but that won't be a loss":whistling: then I can get a new one! Sorry for hi jacking the thread...:rolleyes:
  2. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Spider Splatterer

Not likely the compressor, but possible because I have a large commercial comp. and getting the same problems. I think I've solved some of them by doing a complete tear-down and cleaning with xylene -- man does that stuff remove dried water-base paints. Like someone above wrote, "you only think you got it clean." Remember, which something so small and precise as the air assemblies of these high end tools, even fibers from a Q-Tip swab can cause these prollems.

If you haven't Already, try doing a "surgically clean" solvent cleaning and see if you don't get some improvement. Just keep the solvent out of the trigger assembly.
  3. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Urethane thinner does the trick nicely, especially if you have teflon seals. But only use it when its absolutely necessary, after using it a few times I couldn't understand why I was still having issues and was told that too much use can leave a film layer that can be left behind after evaporation that builds up over time.. How true this is I don't know as people use it on big guns all the time, but maybe airbrushes being more precise are affected. Anyway all I know is I used restorer, no paint came out, put it in a sonic cleaner, again - there was no paint residue left behind, so I hadn't missed anything, but it worked just fine afterwards.

Also if you use thinners, make sure you are thorough, it will turn any paint into a sticky gummy mess that you don't want left behind.

Now I just use W50o after every clean up, a back flush if needed and then dump out and run a bit through to check the spray pattern, and it keeps everything in tip top shape.
    Mr. Magoo likes this.
  4. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Elite Member!

That's what I've been doing. After normal flush/backflush with Denatured Alcohol and Water, I put about 5 drops in the cup and rock the trigger a few times so it can make contact with all parts of the nozzle. Let it sit for 5-10 and blow it out at around 50psi into my cleaning pot. It's kept nozzle obstructions down big time.
    basepaint and Squishy like this.
  5. Squishy

I forgot to mention upping the airpressure, but I do that too :)
    basepaint likes this.
  6. Mr. Magoo

I keep the solvent well away from the trigger ass'y, and I only intend to do this when it needs it. As for residue, I don't even see any on the chromed brush. Being water soluble the xylene residue washes away.

Been using xylene on hairy art brushes for years and in my opinion there is nothing better. Kind to most plastics, too.
  7. Squishy

I haven' t used Xylene before, this is for cleaning surgical and dentistry equipment right? Sounds like a good option, and not something would have thought of :)

The point I was making about residue of Urethane thinners is that you can't see any residue, so it looks clean and all good. But I was told by a paint guy that it might be enough to stop a precision instrument like an AB working properly. How true this is - *shrugs* - but it worked as good as new after.

But I just stick to the W500, only need a tiny amount, it's something I have anyway, and as I get the big bottle, is cheap to use. But not everyone uses it so the xylene sounds like a good option for people who use water etc to reduce.
    Mr. Magoo likes this.
  8. Jezurus

Jezurus Gravity Guru

Thanks for the reply! Un fortunately we have three furry children, and one long haired human son:D! So I have hair everywhere all the time, we clean and vacuum, but, Chihuahua hair, wiener dog hair, and Chiweinie dog hair, it's about warm enough to move back out to the garage! So maybe I can get away from most of the fuzz and hair!
    Mr. Magoo likes this.
  9. Mr. Magoo

Ah, so you're a fellow brush artist. Nice work on that pink rose. My painting is on small objects like boxes and canes. I often do roses that are only an inch in diameter so they have to be more impressionistic than realistic.

Quite by accident I discovered that xylene dissolves dry acrylic and so I started using it to restore old art brushes. You know how brushes accumulate dried paint up around the ferrule until the brush becomes totally stiff and unusable. Well, xylene will soften that dried muck so that it can be raked out and the brush restored. I thought so why not try it in the airbrush?

Dog hair, really? Can't imagine how that gets into an airbrush, but that points up the importance of a good air filter on our compressors. Fortunately, mine came with not one, but two paper filters measured in microns filtration, so I"m not getting anything that way. I guess I need to be more careful about what I use to clean the cup out. Will a paper towel leave fibers that can clog? Maybe best to rinse the cup AFTER wiping it out with whatever we use to do that.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016