Cleaning my airbrush

S

Sprzout

So, I have a Paasche VL that my dad gave me, and I know how to take it apart and put it back together (thanks to an exploded view parts sheet that came with the airbrush), but the one thing I haven't found is a good way to clean everything when I change out colors.

Right now, I've been using water (I don't have any actual airbrush cleaner yet; I'm going to buy a large bottle of it when I get paid tomorrow) and it seems to be doing the job with the airbrush acrylics I've been using...That said, I've been finding little bits of dried paint here and there inside the needle cap and on the needle itself when I take it apart.

I know not to soak the entire airbrush in cleaner (Not unless I want to COMPLETELY disassemble the sucker and replace O-rings and washers, which I REALLY don't want to do), but are there any videos out there that you fine ladies and gents can recommend for me for switching between colors?

Depends on the make of paint , if its water based then water is fine to give a quick clean for colour changes, i normally up the air pressure a bit and give a couple of blasts, back flush and tip out( prevents small particles going back through) then change colour.

Ok. :) I'm primarily using Testor's Aztek acrylic paints right now, but I'll be starting to use Wicked and U.S. Art Supply paints in the near future for it.

Ideally, I'd like to have multiple airbrushes for different colors, but that's quite a bit more money than I have at the moment - not gonna happen. :)

I dont know any of those paints but someone with better knowledge will be along shortly.

I dont know any of those paints but someone with better knowledge will be along shortly.

No worries. The U.S. Art Supply paints are what's coming with a compressor kit that I'm picking up from TCP Global; I figure I'll use them to practice painting and getting my skills down, and then throw money at the Wicked paints or something better. Learn basic technique with the cheap paints, and move up to the good stuff when I have a little more cash so I'm not wasting the good stuff, right? LOL:thumbsup:

As it is a very steep learning curve getting things to work right for you from the begining, i personally would make things easier by starting with paints designed for the purpose you want to achieve.
I know things are tight moneywise for most, but you will reap the benefits by just investing that little bit more at the start.
Some good paints to start with are com art, they are reasonably priced and designed for airbrush work.
These are just my opinions and each have there own ways of approaching things.

Testor's Acrylic Thinners is nice. I use it with stubborn Daler Rowney FW, Lukas or Schmincke colours.

Don't know the U.S paints, but if you use Wicked you will want to use W500 reducer as it doesn't reduce well with water (plus it has many other beneficial properties). Get a big bottle as it works out much cheaper in the long run, and you can also use it to clean and flush between colours.

Don't know the U.S paints, but if you use Wicked you will want to use W500 reducer as it doesn't reduce well with water (plus it has many other beneficial properties). Get a big bottle as it works out much cheaper in the long run, and you can also use it to clean and flush between colours.

Good to know. :) Should I just rinse out the color cup, and then run some of the reducer/cleaner through, spray it until it comes clean in my cleaning pot?

dump what paint is left in the cup, (upside down in the bin, not sprayed out)
wipe out with a tissue / q tip
fill cup with water / cleaner, wipe again with tissue / q tip and dump it.
then fill cup with water / cleaner and spray through into a cleaning station (Icecream tub with a hole in the side works well to contain spray) until it spray clear,

when you get the wicked / illustration paints get a big bottle of reducer as you will use it a lot more than you think when you start reducing 1:10 (paint:reducer)

also get a bottle of restorer for the createx, its a god send when things get gunked up and its reusable, so spray it out into a sealable jar

I'm not familiar with the other brands you mentioned but Commart is a newbie friendly paint.

dump what paint is left in the cup, (upside down in the bin, not sprayed out)
wipe out with a tissue / q tip
fill cup with water / cleaner, wipe again with tissue / q tip and dump it.
then fill cup with water / cleaner and spray through into a cleaning station (Icecream tub with a hole in the side works well to contain spray) until it spray clear,

when you get the wicked / illustration paints get a big bottle of reducer as you will use it a lot more than you think when you start reducing 1:10 (paint:reducer)

also get a bottle of restorer for the createx, its a god send when things get gunked up and its reusable, so spray it out into a sealable jar

I'm not familiar with the other brands you mentioned but Commart is a newbie friendly paint.

Really? The Restorer's reusable? Sounds like I need to put an order in for it via Amazon - the local hobby stores always seem to be out of AB cleaner. :(

yes, reusable, because it desolves everything in sight, don't ever leave it in the airbrush, you can remove nozzles / caps/needle tip covers etc for a soak. I use small 'Decor' brand little sauce tubs, they seal really well, just pop the little bits in it, snap on the lid and come back next day and take them out and clean them. a bit of stocking over the top used as a strainer, decant into a second pot makes it easy to get the little suckers. sometime what is clogged in the nozzle tip may need help to get out but it will be soft. Interdental brushes are good for that, nice and small and soft enough to not do any damage unlike the 'airbrush cleaning brushes'

just remember , the restorer and reducer are two different products.

Back