Newbie trying to clean up an old Paasche VL

MJester

Young Tutorling
Hello!
My name is Margaret and I am a newbie airbrush user trying to fix up an old Paasche VL to use in various craft/art projects.

I'm trying fully disassemble and clean this thing but what I believe is the air valve housing is completely stuck. I've tried soaking the body in lacquer thinner for several days but it hasn't loosened at all.

I'm not sure what was used in this before I got it but it seems to be resistant to the lacquer thinner.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 20240520_115801.jpg
The brush body
20240520_120055.jpg
The air assembly

Hello and welcome to the forum!

We will try to help as much as possible.
Dunking an airbrush in lacquer thinner is never a good idea. Any rubber O-ring or non solvent resistant part can be affected or destroyed.
You can try some heat like Ian suggested. I have also used penetrating fluid like PB Blaster on stuck parts. Have you tested the air valve? If it is working it may not be needed to be removed in the first place. But probably after been dunked in lacquer thinner it may need service.

Thanks,
Ismael

Should do, just make sure to only heat the valve so You dont damage the seals.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

We will try to help as much as possible.
Dunking an airbrush in lacquer thinner is never a good idea. Any rubber O-ring or non solvent resistant part can be affected or destroyed.
You can try some heat like Ian suggested. I have also used penetrating fluid like PB Blaster on stuck parts. Have you tested the air valve? If it is working it may not be needed to be removed in the first place. But probably after been dunked in lacquer thinner it may need service.

Thanks,
Ismael

Yikes!
Well I kinda figured some parts would get messed up, I do have a replacement for the air valve assembly if needed.
I don't have a regular compressor to test it with, just a crummy handheld one from Amazon.
What would you recommend to clean the rest of the parts, needles, nozzles, etc?

Hello,

Always start mild and go more aggressive as needed. sometimes a good scrub with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) in a Q tip may do the job. If there is old dried paint that doesn't budge with alcohol, you can try lacquer thinner but in a Q-tip where you can control where it is going and the amount. Don't take any solvent near any O-ring. Personally, some times I use metal polishers like blue magic, Brasso, Mothers etc. A small wire brush can also help but be aware the nozzle is very delicate. Don't be too aggressive around it.
Keep in mind since you took it apart, when you put it back together, you may have inevitable air leaks that would require sealing the head, or nozzle or cap with beeswax or chapstix. In other words, don't despair if it doesn't work properly the first time you put it back together.

Thanks,
Ismael

sometimes a good scrub with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) in a Q tip may do the job
You don't really need to remove the valve casing. You can remove the plunger, spring and the washer by unscrewing the air valve nut but be careful, small parts!
Now you can clean the parts and the inside of the valve body. I use a pipe cleaner and Q-Tips. Start with isopropyl alcohol as Ismael said above.
If you you feel you must remove the valve casing, you'll need a soft jawed pliers to unscrew it. Regular pliers will mar the finish.

Paasche_VL_v1.jpg
This is for older VLs, yours may vary.

Welcome aboard Margaret, never force anything with the airbrush. I use Q-Tips and small dental brushes to clean the airbrush. You have already gotten good advice from the others above stick to it and you should be good. If you get stuck in the process just keep asking and we will help you out. đź‘Ť

Back