converting a micron .23 to a .18

T

tucky

does anyone know what i need to buy to covert my .23 micron to a .18.....and is there that big a difference in the size...thanks..

Needle and nozzle, might need to tighten the needle packing, and the air cap will need to be changed.

i wouldnt bother bro...... a difference of 0.05mm you know you can get some pretty killer small spots and detail from a 0.23 using correct pressure and paint reduction....... but even so...... how often do you need it...... maybe if you cracked a nozzle or bent a needle i would then get the smaller one instead but to have it as an interchangeable fine and super fine.....nah!

I have a Talon with all three sizes (.25 .38 .66) and my preference is the .38. I just play with reduction and pressure. I find that the .38 flows a little more constant and has less tip dry. I found the .25 finicky, and as my paint thickens in the bowl, its worst.
I am still new, so this seems to work for me. I know you are talking about going smaller than my smallest size, but the idea is the same...lol
I need all three to change my sizes. Needle, Tip, and Aircap. I also have to change the packing adjustment when I go from smallest to largest only. I have it set so both the .25 and .38 slide nice and seal. I use lube, so that helps.
Cheers

head unit and needle.
No adjustment to the packing bearing is needed due to the main needle dia is the same as the .23
I did this when I first got my micron.

Fez I hate to burst your bubble but that .05 difference is huge . Like you I thought you really would not notice a huge difference but I did.
When I bought the .15 infinity and compared it to the .18 micron there was a good amount of difference as well . that is only a .03 difference.

burst away bro, however i saw some things while away with a 0.23 that will blow your mind...... and it had nothing to do with the needle or nozzle size...... i could say more but id have to kill you

i could say more but id have to kill you
I would pay money to see you try that :D
In skilled hands I have seen a .35 out do a .15 so skill and tons of practice anything is possible.
But in the hands of a hobbyist like me I can see a huge difference :D

I love the smell of testosterone in the morning LOL! You guys are so manly, it makes a poor girl swoon :laugh::)lol A vision of Herb and fezzles duking it out in skin tight leotards, the sun glistening off of sweat soaked skin, muscles rippling, hair gently blowing in the breeze. Gets a person all unnecessary!!!! LOL LOL LOL!

I love the smell of testosterone in the morning LOL! You guys are so manly, it makes a poor girl swoon :laugh::)lol A vision of Herb and fezzles duking it out in skin tight leotards, the sun glistening off of sweat soaked skin, muscles rippling, hair gently blowing in the breeze. Gets a person all unnecessary!!!! LOL LOL LOL!
LOL You are just thinking of the sexy fez in the buff:D

I have the CMC-SB with the .18 setup and the CMC-C+ & CMC-C microns with the .23 setup, I can see the difference but unless you're airbrushing dime sized portraits all day, I wouldn't change it to the .18. As stated it really boils down to whose hand its in and their capabilities. It really boils down to 3 things in my opinion, 1: TRIGGER CONTROL (how well your control the trigger on the brush) 2: REDUCTION (finding the right paint to reducer ratio/mix) & last but not least 3: AIR PRESSURE (each painting I do requires different air pressures to achieve the desired effects Im after, same goes with your reduction, depending on what you are needing to accomplish and what paints you're using, your reduction will be different as well!) Once you dial those 3 in and find your......wait for it ladies.........SWEET SPOT!!!!! Then you'll be able to do just about anything with a .23 setup!!! Best of luck my friend

I would say that there is a noticable difference between 0.18 and 0.23mm. 9 times of 10 I prefere the 0.23. It's a lot more forgiving when it comes to the paint/thinner mix. If anything, I would like to have another size up for my Microns. Something in between the 0.23mm and a 0.3 HP-C. 0.28 or something like that.

no choice with me im afraid squishy...... i got so much junk in my trunk i can barely close the lid

PMSL You're so modest fezzles. I'm sure you have something big, is it the head on your shoulders Lol Lol Lol.

The detail difference between the .23 and the .18 is noticable, but not real dramatic. Basically, I can do anything with my .23 microns that I can with my .18 microns, it's just easier to do with the .18 (generally).

It's not all about nozzle size, though. I can easily get tighter, sharper detail with a .23 micron than I do with my .15 Infinity.

I did the opposite of what the OP is trying to do, and put a .23 head and needle into one of my CM-SB's. Nothing else is needed. It's about as easy of a swap as you'll find.

I'm thinking of doing the same as HCP-draggin. I absolutely love my Olympos Micron 0.23mm, like he says it's nicely forgiving with paint and I can get great detail (at my level) with it. BUT I simply love side-feeds and miss it very much with my Olympos (no side-feed Micron option). Happily I bought a CM-SB 0.18mm recently and if I find myself wishing it was 0.23mm then Super Happily I can change it out because my Olympos (which fits Iwata Microns) came with a spare 0.23mm head unit and I bought a few extra needles at the time!! Lucky Me!!!

No I planned all that :) I was just waiting for the cash to make my plan real MWAHAHAHAHA!!! Actually that's not entirely true, the last bit, about planning it all ... he he he, I just wanted to do an Evil taking over the world laugh Ha Ha Ha!! :) Somebody help meeeeeeeeeee.........pleeease!! LOL

Sadly I've not been airbrushing for many weeks so I haven't used the 0.18mm enough to notice any difference. I needed a break from it so I could get some new idea's and my desire back. It's getting there.

So Tucky, change the head unit and the needle as stated above, easy peasy :)
Cheers Mel

Back