Recommend a SILENT/QUIET compressor?

D

Decryptionally

I have the HPC6060 Oil less air compressor, and it is SO loud. Its crazy. I'm looking into selling it so I can buy a nice quiet compressor. Can you guys recommend one? Please don't recommend super over priced compressors. I was looking at this one: Amazon.com - NEW Quiet 1/5 hp MASTER AIRBRUSH TANK COMPRESSOR-(FREE) AIR HOSE and Now a (FREE) How to Airbrush Training Book to Get You Started, Published Exclusively By TCP Global. , is it any good? Anyone know if its really quiet or not? I can spend about $200 max, hopefully around $100. Thanks! Also, just want to thank some of you guys out there. I've posted about 15 questions in like, 3 days lmao, and you guys always seem to have the answer. Thanks!

I just got a California air and I was surprised at how quite it is. To make it even better I stuck it in a closet in my office/studio and I can hardly hear it... its a good compromise between price and quite...

I have seen a few members have the California one and love it.
I have a silent-air 50 for painting inside it is super silent..but costly.http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M22590

Looks like I should just save for that one. My garage is all concrete with no heaters, and its -4 degrees outside right now, so its about the same in there. Really need a indoor compressor. Might as well wait and see if I can make $700 ha. I saw the one that mitch shows at the end of his recommended compressor video, the bandi or whatever thats was like super quiet. I seem to be able to find that on Amazon.co.uk, but I live in the US. Do you know where I can find that model in the US? Its cheaper than the one your talking about, and was litterally almost 100% silent. It was like, 25 decibels. (Exaggeration obviously, was probably more like 40 :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
That will be my next investment. Expensive, but worth it to me because my garage is nothing but concrete, the mo quieter, the mo better. :)

Same with my garage, not mentioning no heater in there, plus its -4 degrees f outside, so its roughly that temperature in my garage as well...I litterally have to wear a jacket and gloves while in there

Consider building a soundproof box for what you already have, will save ya some coin to spend on more paint and guns..Its pretty easy to build one, just remember to allow or connect a decent breather tube to the air inlet, pack it full of styrofoam or old egg cartons, or even better both and just keep an eye out in warmer weather that its not getting to hot..Worked well for me the first few years of airbrushing and will reduce 60-70 decibels down to 10-15, now I live out in the middle of nowhere so it doesn't matter how much sound I create, I just turn up the music to compensate...GL

One issue you may find with those little "silent" compressors is unlike a larger tanked variety they just keep constantly pumping as their storage capacity is quite low if non-existent and can get very hot in a short time and constant noise even though quieter is still annoying, the trade of for lower noise is higher condensation/water issues, they can almost be like a water pump LOL

Last edited:
Consider building a soundproof box for what you already have, will save ya some coin to spend on more paint and guns..Its pretty easy to build one, just remember to allow or connect a decent breather tube to the air inlet, pack it full of styrofoam or old egg cartons, or even better both and just keep an eye out in warmer weather that its not getting to hot..Worked well for me the first few years of airbrushing and will reduce 60-70 decibels down to 10-15, now I live out in the middle of nowhere so it doesn't matter how much sound I create, I just turn up the music to compensate...GL

One issue you may find with those little "silent" compressors is unlike a larger tanked variety they just keep constantly pumping as their storage capacity is quite low if non-existent and can get very hot in a short time and constant noise even though quieter is still annoying, the trade of for lower noise is higher condensation/water issues, they can almost be like a water pump LOL

Actually, I am going to stick with your idea. We are moving soon, and my mom said I can use the garage in the house we buy for my airbrushing. I'll see if my dad will be able to build a little area for me and a spot for the compressor. Do you know if theres any where online for a tutorial? Like, should I just build a wood box with styrofoam and egg cartons or what? Thanks :p

Actually, I am going to stick with your idea. We are moving soon, and my mom said I can use the garage in the house we buy for my airbrushing. I'll see if my dad will be able to build a little area for me and a spot for the compressor. Do you know if theres any where online for a tutorial? Like, should I just build a wood box with styrofoam and egg cartons or what? Thanks :p

Seriously decrypt, get yourself a quiet compressor. The California Air one in your post looks good and you can always add a bigger air tank later but I don't think you'll really need it at this stage of your airbrushing. When you are older and decide you want to do this for a living you can think about getting a seriously bigger but also very quiet compressor. You don't need that now, you need a good quality, quiet compressor that you can use inside the house and not disturb anyone else.

I have an oil filled 20A compressor 40db and it sounds like a fridge but I live in Holland and I can't tell you where you can get one from in the USA but you want to get something like it. It cost me €300 and it is worth every penny.

If you decide to make a sound proof box for your compressor you have to remember that the compressor gets hot!!!!! and it will need inbuilt ventilation to keep it cool or it will blow up on you. By the time you've spent the money on building a sound proof box for your cheaper compressor you might as well have spent the money on getting a good quiet, oil-filled compressor that will last you a very, very long time.

Seriously decrypt, get yourself a quiet compressor. The California Air one in your post looks good and you can always add a bigger air tank later but I don't think you'll really need it at this stage of your airbrushing. When you are older and decide you want to do this for a living you can think about getting a seriously bigger but also very quiet compressor. You don't need that now, you need a good quality, quiet compressor that you can use inside the house and not disturb anyone else.

I have an oil filled 20A compressor 40db and it sounds like a fridge but I live in Holland and I can't tell you where you can get one from in the USA but you want to get something like it. It cost me €300 and it is worth every penny.

If you decide to make a sound proof box for your compressor you have to remember that the compressor gets hot!!!!! and it will need inbuilt ventilation to keep it cool or it will blow up on you. By the time you've spent the money on building a sound proof box for your cheaper compressor you might as well have spent the money on getting a good quiet, oil-filled compressor that will last you a very, very long time.

I just don't have the money for another compressor, and selling this one will probably be hard because I don't have the box. I might as well just wait until we move and build a soundproof box in the garage with a pipe so that the intake gets the air from outside. It'd be much cheaper than a new compressor, plus if I do ever get a new air compressor I can use that soundproof box. If I buy a compressor and something happens to it, thats it. I think it'd just be a better idea to wait and build a soundproof box.

I just don't have the money for another compressor, and selling this one will probably be hard because I don't have the box. I might as well just wait until we move and build a soundproof box in the garage with a pipe so that the intake gets the air from outside. It'd be much cheaper than a new compressor, plus if I do ever get a new air compressor I can use that soundproof box. If I buy a compressor and something happens to it, thats it. I think it'd just be a better idea to wait and build a soundproof box.

Fair enough, whatever you think is best.
Here is a link to a video that shows my old compressor and why I chose a 40dB quiet 20A compressor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIdWjQq0wE

Great thread, was thinking of upgrading my Harbor Freight 8 gal 200 db unit for something QUIET lol! I just clicked on the California link above and looks like the way to go. I'd go with the bigger 6 gal for $221. Love spending all my money lol!!

Compressors get hot, its the nature of what they do..many peeps have built sound proof boxes and it works fine but yes good ventilation helps and you can provide that with a little computer fan..remember heat rises, so its quite easy to get rid of excess heat within the box..I'll draw you up a design a little later today similar to what I built years back..In 12 odd years of airbrushing I have spent a total of $160 on compressors LOL. My first one gave up the ghost after about 8 years and that was after spending its first two years in a box and was quiter in that box than many silent compressors I've heard.I think it only blew up as I got lazy with oil but as it only cost me about $80 I'll live happily with that :)..A decent box will cost you around $80 in materials which is a big saving, or free if you can scavenge some materials. An old fridge laid down on its side already has a lot of insulation and with some modifications will make a nice box, although a little large..

Compressors get hot, its the nature of what they do..many peeps have built sound proof boxes and it works fine but yes good ventilation helps and you can provide that with a little computer fan..remember heat rises, so its quite easy to get rid of excess heat within the box..I'll draw you up a design a little later today similar to what I built years back..In 12 odd years of airbrushing I have spent a total of $160 on compressors LOL. My first one gave up the ghost after about 8 years and that was after spending its first two years in a box and was quiter in that box than many silent compressors I've heard.I think it only blew up as I got lazy with oil but as it only cost me about $80 I'll live happily with that :)..A decent box will cost you around $80 in materials which is a big saving, or free if you can scavenge some materials. An old fridge laid down on its side already has a lot of insulation and with some modifications will make a nice box, although a little large..

Darn! I should've thought of that fridge thing! GRRR! We just threw out our old fridge. Gahhh so mad haha! Thanks a ton, let me know!

Edit: That just gave me an idea. What about a mini fridge? Would be a perfect size, same insulation as a normal fridge. Wonder how that would work!

Believe it or not I still use my as-186 compressor that I got with my first kit never had a issue and can work for hours without problems but I do have a 2 extremely loud compressors a 50 liter and 90 liter oil compressors for the big jobs

I like the as because its light and portable fairly quiet (so I can paint when baby is asleep) ;)

But thats just me lol

i was ging to say avoid the first choice donnt buy anything master specialy compressors and as for the ca air tool il bet it does get hot quickly so be careful i know im ging to take a lot of precaution before i get a compresor

Back