Time to get rid of the EKG/EEG wobbles?

raddiver

Young Tutorling
So i've been doing lines for about 30 minutes each night (in any other place, that would sound so wrong). 5-7" long and doing them as slow as possible on average about 10 seconds per line..
They do straighten up if i speed up, but the point of the exercise is to get them straight at slow speeds.
Is there some average that most people fall into? Am i looking at a week, a month, a year, or just whenever my body says "i see what you're trying to do here."?

-Rad

Hi Radivver, that’s an interesting question, I’m hoping to develop that control as well, but I’ve not been doing my homework in the way you have, I’ve been playing about too much, but I’m also enjoying seeing how shielding works, how colours interact with each other, how you can have contrasts with hairy brush work and blended areas, so the muscle group that requires strengthening involved in AB control will probably take me much longer, if you continue to have the discipline to focus in the way you are you have you might learn quicker than the average but it will come regardless. (maybe I should have just said I’ve no idea 🤣)

I just shoot for being accurate, not slow, not fast... If I need a real straight line I use a maul stick where I can, and let the brush slide along it. I have never had a very steady hand, so find doing lines quick helps keep them straight. Then the goal is to get the next one as parallel as possible.

Just keep going until You are happy with what You are producing, then a few practice exercises before everytime you paint will get You warmed up :)

I could never get on with practising to be honest and just ended up jumping in and painting, If I had forced myself to do lines over and over I dont think I would be here now 😂

I probably should learn to practice, You never know, I may even end up getting quite good at this brushing lark 😂😂

if you want a comparison, try drawing a straight line with a pencil . . . without a ruler ! you will be straighter at speed than slow
I don't think I've done any truely straight lines in any of my paintings, on the super rare occasion I will just cut a line in a piece of printer paper with a blade and just spray through that.

@Kingpin, I dove straight in the deep end too, the only time I do anything resembling 'exercises' is when I start a painting session and I spray 'lines & dots' onto scrap paper to make sure the paint is flowing correctly

I also been trying lines to create more flat lines with single hand. I think 10 minutes is not enough to train the muscles. I did about 3 A4 papers. Below is my last page. I even went slower. The last few thin lines start to look more stable.... I wonder what will happen if I do them every day.

20240425_220715.jpg

I think by day three you’ll have built up the muscles sufficiently to have the control you need, or maybe not 🤣

Back