Unable to remove Paasche AB Turbine Cap

You seem to have forgotten the first rule of disassembly. Take pictures during the process. It helps when you go to reassemble it.

Then again, I forget that rule 98% of the time myself. πŸ€ͺ
I was only kidding Jim πŸ˜„ Since I did take many photos as I progressed with my project here. I'll do this again on my next airbrush, although I might just take video πŸ“½οΈ of it. We'll see 😎

The Airbrush Artist's Handbook
by Andy Charlesworth and Fred Dell

Maybe a handy book for you to find a used copy of. It has stripdowns of some of the brushes you have been mentioning. You will probably only find it second hand.

IMG_20231215_183045650.jpg

I guess it's a few brushes that were popular amongst artists at the time, includes some aerographs, paasches.

One day I'll get my hands on another one of these brushes. The one I had back in the early 90's was stolen from my basement amongst other things. I could even have some spare parts for it somewhere idk but ill look around in some boxes and bins.

The Airbrush Artist's Handbook
by Andy Charlesworth and Fred Dell

Maybe a handy book for you to find a used copy of. It has stripdowns of some of the brushes you have been mentioning. You will probably only find it second hand.

View attachment 86213

I guess it's a few brushes that were popular amongst artists at the time, includes some aerographs, paasches.

Thank you so much RK!!!! πŸ™ πŸ₯Ή 🀩 I'm going to buy this book since it has photos of exactly what I need. I can't wait to get the pages DaveG has also mentioned, from a magazine I think. I'm heading now to Ebay to find this book, or wherever it may be sold. If anybody finds this book on Ebay, please don't outbid me! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ These are some very nice photos. I have been trying to also find more books/magazines with anything on the Paasche AB Turbo in order to learn as much as I can about it. Although I love using it,😍 I just found that I really enjoy taking it apart to clean it and tune it. This is thanks to 2Diverse, DaveG, Kingpin, and others who have been so kind with sharing all their insights on the maintenance of not just the Turbo AB, but also other airbrushes. They're like a safety net...I'm sure for many of us...if for some reason our little experiment fails while working on an airbrush.

My first disassembly was successful, thank you 2Diverse, Jim! This airbrush was not functional at all and it was purchased for parts only since its triggering, and turbine system were very stuck, and dirty. Thanks to Jim's motivation, and inspiration, I actually got the courage to take the Turbo AB apart. I actually got the turbine to spin. It does have a few little quarks, but it shows a lot of potential! πŸ₯³ Thank you also for your support RK! Have a nice weekend! πŸ™:cool: -Lisa

View attachment 86232

View attachment 86233View attachment 86234

There is plenty of more useful info in this book. I definitely recommend it.
YAY! Thank you again RK! Now can you send the rest of the pages of the book...Pleeeeaaaasssssse πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ I'm kidding of courseπŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ I found the book and have ordered it! The purchase then recommended books on Ray Harryhausen, since I love stop-motion animation. So, I then purchased The Art of Ray Harryhausen!!! I'm glad your book recommendation also took me to a book I didn't know existed! I can't wait to receive these! πŸ˜€πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

If you remove the lower half of the air valve casing, you can lift the trigger out - then retrieve the walking arm rod and spring. It is quite the jigsaw puzzle.
Hi @DaveG, could you please let me know how to remove the valve casing without scratching or damaging it? I'm trying to adjust the trigger spring tension and scratching my head on how to do this last part

Hi @DaveG, could you please let me know how to remove the valve casing without scratching or damaging it? I'm trying to adjust the trigger spring tension and scratching my head on how to do this last part
You won't like my answer ;) , but I wrap it with a piece of aluminum soda can, and grab it in the 3 jaw chuck of my lathe to hold it while turning the body of the brush. Th aluminum is softer than the chrome finish, or brass, and will take any damage before the brush. Old machinist trick to hold parts without damaging them.

If you have a large enough drill chuck, you may be able to grab it with that (wrapped in aluminum) or even a vise... might even try pliers, but add more than one layer of aluminum, as I know the teeth of pliers will penetrate the aluminum.

You won't like my answer ;) , but I wrap it with a piece of aluminum soda can, and grab it in the 3 jaw chuck of my lathe to hold it while turning the body of the brush. Th aluminum is softer than the chrome finish, or brass, and will take any damage before the brush. Old machinist trick to hold parts without damaging them.

If you have a large enough drill chuck, you may be able to grab it with that (wrapped in aluminum) or even a vise... might even try pliers, but add more than one layer of aluminum, as I know the teeth of pliers will penetrate the aluminum.
Thanks for the reply, so basically no easy trick to do so :(. And do I pull it off directly or screw if off? Or maybe twist it back and forth to loose it?

Thanks for the reply, so basically no easy trick to do so :(. And do I pull it off directly or screw if off? Or maybe twist it back and forth to loose it?
It screws off/on - I would not try to go any tighter - so, only turn it in the direction to loosen it. It is a pretty long section of threading (in relative terms)

You could pick up a pair if soft jaw pliers.

I have a pair of these. They are great for taking apart air brushes. Although it us fairly soft. So if it is really stuck on there. You may just chew up the bass but that is better than the airbrush.

Thank you all for kindly providing advice, but I have to give up for now.

I have the soft jaw pliers and I tried with it over layers of aluminium foil over the valve casing, but the casing just didn't want to move a single bit...

I'm playing around with my AB now and spot some difficulties, may I open up a new topic for asking about how to fine-tune and control AB (other than the methods described in AB's manual) or can I find any existing topic to start with?

Yfen, if you have specific questions about your issues it probably would be better to open a new thread. If there are posts that deal with that issue, some of the old timers will point you in the right direction. If not, some of the experts will attempt to help you through it.
If it's outside the manual, someone with an expertise with that particular AB could be the only source of info.

Back