I like to make portraits in graphite, charcoal, pastels, and oil. I have never made them in airbrush

A

AustinSauls

I like to make portraits in graphite, charcoal, pastels, and oil. I have never made them in airbrush.
I have purchased the compressor that was requested by Dru Blair and I have the Iwata Eclipse Series airbrush ( HP-SBS ). I am learning to use it. However, there are no books on how to use the airbrush to make portraits.
Presently, I have ordered 3 books; however, I have not received them. The books are:
1. Airbrush: The Complete Studio Handbook
2. Dynamic Airbrush
3. Airbrush Painting: Colorful Easy-to-Use Guides for Beginning Artists
If you know of a book or video that I should watch to learn how to paint portraits in airbrush, then please let me know their names.
Thanks,
Austin

Check out the tutorials from the Airbrush tutor, there are a lot of them on his youtube channel as well. Look for the Denise parts and the Bianca parts...

https://www.youtube.com/user/airbrushtutor

There are also a number of step by step paintings on this forum - have a look through there. Then as well you know - lots of practice. Make sure you get a good paint designed for the airbrush - probably an acrylic. Where do you live?

Never mind, I got beaten by 10 seconds LOL

Last edited:
Check out the tutorials from the Airbrush tutor, there are a lot of them on his youtube channel as well. Look for the Denise parts and the Bianca parts...

There are also a number of step by step paintings on this forum - have a look through there. Then as well you know - lots of practice. Make sure you get a good paint designed for the airbrush - probably an acrylic. Where do you live?[/QUOTI]

I live in Marietta, Georgia.

There are also a number of step by step paintings on this forum - have a look through there. Then as well you know - lots of practice. Make sure you get a good paint designed for the airbrush - probably an acrylic. Where do you live?

OK you should have no trouble getting a good quality water based acrylic to spray. There are others here who know that market better than I. :)

OK you should have no trouble getting a good quality water based acrylic to spray. There are others here who know that market better than I. :)

Hi Mark,
I am in an art class in Atlanta, Ga. In the art class is a New Zealand doctor that is working with the CDC in Atlanta. After he learns some more doctor stuff, then he will return to New Zealand that will take about 2 years.
Thanks,
Austin

Awesome - tell him Hi from Auckland. Do you happen to know which part of NZ he's from?

I have a neighbor that runs races and he goes to New Zealand. He loves New Zealand and says that he will move there is the future.

Everything I learned about airbrushing and my limited knowledge of portraits initially came from trawling through YouTube then latter on I invested in the Daniel powers volume 1+2 and Steve driscolls portrait dvd's. Looked at a few books, all mainly therory but if your anything like me you'll learn more from seeing it in action than reading about it. Can't remember where I bought these dvd's now, google them and have a look, their expensive but I think invaluable.

@AustinSauls I would highly recommend Mitch's (Airbrush Tutor) tutorials, click on the link at the top of the page. When I began portraiture with an airbrush, I bought loads of DVD's and a number of books/magazines…each one lacked the information I felt I needed, especially the books and magazines. You would certainly be able to attain all of the necessary information and techniques by following Mitch's Tutorials, you can't go wrong.

Back