Newby from Scotland, hello 😀🙏

I had been away all weekend (from my new toy, it was all I could think about) apart from being disappointed we didn’t have heating in the van and it was soooo cold 🤣). I managed to take my airbrush to bits and not lose any parts, it seems unblocked now. A bit more practice today 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 9
Do you paint to sell?
No, just for my own amusement at the moment. I'm learning as fast as I can so I can hopefully earn some pocket money when I retire in a few years :)
Thank you so much JB. 🙏🙏. I will need to concentrate on the air on, paint on, paint off, air off. I took the airbrush to bits today, as there was a blockage (not surprising 🤣) and I’m relieved it’s still working and didn’t loose any of the bits
I find blockages frequently, my paint is getting past its use by date I think.
when you finish for the day, clean out the cup, flush with water, use an old hairy art brush to clean the bottom of the cup, dump the water out, spray flush the cup again, pull the needle and clean that, spray water again through the airbrush (without the needle) reinsert needle, flush again... .. you get the idea. flush and spray out water as much as needed until it sprays clear on a paper towel.

we get lazy and paint builds up in the itty bitty nozzle over time. Soaking in a cleaner suitable for your paint is helpful (you didn't mention which paint.

IF you have to totally dismantle the brush it's helpful to put down a layer of paper towel or get a baking tray with a small lip, so the bits don't roll away. I found a silicone 'cookie' sheet on eBay. does a great job.
Lay the parts out in sequence as you take them out. that way you aren't going to forget where the O ring goes or forget to put the nozzle back on .. .. ..

1705355282628.png

That’s great thank you very much Jackeb. I’ve been experimenting with mixing with acrylic tubes I have mostly Windsor and newton which have good quality pigment , I had been using airbrush thinner with some drops of acrylic flow improver but I am I right in saying water based paint doesn’t need the thinner, just sterilised water?

Welcome Mary, you’re on a good start there. I really like that you already seem to have your own style and anxious to see where it will take you. 👍

Welcome Mary, you’re on a good start there. I really like that you already seem to have your own style and anxious to see where it will take you. 👍
Thanks so much Night Wish. That’s very kind of you to say🙏, its so good to see what everyone is achieving with their art, such skill and talent from everyone 🤗

That’s great thank you very much Jackeb. I’ve been experimenting with mixing with acrylic tubes I have mostly Windsor and newton which have good quality pigment , I had been using airbrush thinner with some drops of acrylic flow improver but I am I right in saying water based paint doesn’t need the thinner, just sterilised water?
experimentation is fine, just make sure you use the correct thinner/ cleaner or you end up with a cup full of goo where they react with each other.
I use Createx paints, if I'm doing a 'proper' piece I will use the recommended thinner (4011 / 4013) but if I'm just practising and faffing around I will use distilled water.

experimentation is fine, just make sure you use the correct thinner/ cleaner or you end up with a cup full of goo where they react with each other.
I use Createx paints, if I'm doing a 'proper' piece I will use the recommended thinner (4011 / 4013) but if I'm just practising and faffing around I will use distilled water.
Haha, have you had goo Jackeb? I got vallejo thinner, someone on utube said it broke the paint down better and they had less blockage's and someone else said they just use the acrylic flow improver with water, I think I had too much information and just put it all in the mix, I’ll stick to flow improver and water just now as I’ll be going through a lot of paint and I don’t want to be breathing in too many chemicals, see how it goes. Thanks so much for your advice 🙏

Haha, have you had goo Jackeb? I got vallejo thinner, someone on utube said it broke the paint down better and they had less blockage's and someone else said they just use the acrylic flow improver with water, I think I had too much information and just put it all in the mix, I’ll stick to flow improver and water just now as I’ll be going through a lot of paint and I don’t want to be breathing in too many chemicals, see how it goes. Thanks so much for your advice 🙏
Yeeeees!!!
i had two brushes on the go, one had UVLS clear coat in it and i ‘quick cleaned ‘ them out as i was planning on doing more the next day.
the next day i broke my shoulder….. 6 months later i got back in there and it wouldnt spray….. 2 days later after soaking, prodding, soaking, prodding …
i finally got it whistle clean and working!!!

Yeeeees!!!
i had two brushes on the go, one had UVLS clear coat in it and i ‘quick cleaned ‘ them out as i was planning on doing more the next day.
the next day i broke my shoulder….. 6 months later i got back in there and it wouldnt spray….. 2 days later after soaking, prodding, soaking, prodding …
i finally got it whistle clean and working!!!
I hope your shoulder is back to normal 🙏

I hope your shoulder is back to normal 🙏
It was classed as a 3 part break, they were considering surgery but decided on a softer approach with just immobilisation and physical therapy. All the Dr's are surprised I have 99% of my range of motion back but the strength in some areas is a problem. It doesn't affect to much of my daily life, I don't do much that requires constant muscle usage these days. but I'm having to re-train some of the micro movements like we use for airbrushing again, the shoulder starts to shake slightly.

It’s great it’s healed well, here’s hoping you get full use back quickly. Are you working on anything just now?

It’s great it’s healed well, here’s hoping you get full use back quickly. Are you working on anything just now?
only trying to get all my muscle memory back , lots of practising on sketch pads. using up all my 'old' paint that is no longer good for 'proper' art

only trying to get all my muscle memory back , lots of practising on sketch pads. using up all my 'old' paint that is no longer good for 'proper' art
I tore my rotator cuff in a auto-accident two years ago and it has finally healed. Thankfully didn't need surgery but the physical therapy sucked. I am right handed and I had to relearn some things to my left arm, until it healed. The pain was the worse though, I am a army vet and I am on 100% P&T, and it was still some of the worse pain I have ever had.

Glad to see you recouping :thumbsup:

I tore my rotator cuff in a auto-accident two years ago and it has finally healed. Thankfully didn't need surgery but the physical therapy sucked. I am right handed and I had to relearn some things to my left arm, until it healed. The pain was the worse though, I am a army vet and I am on 100% P&T, and it was still some of the worse pain I have ever had.

Glad to see you recouping :thumbsup:
I'm one of the rare ones where pain doesn't really bother me. I somehow reset after a few days and the brain accepts it as a new normal so its was minimal unless I moved the wrong way. the rotator cuff muscle attachment to the arm is what tore a chunk of bone off, that is what caused most of the issue. so now ball at the top has a lump where the chunk has healed so its not perfectly round anymore.
It's definitely not a fun injury and you don't realise just how much movement occurs in the shoulder until you do something like this. even moving your body causes movement in the shoulder.

How do you describe proper art?, I usually describe proper art as anything that isn’t done my me 🤣

Back