Not a beginners question but..

I 100% know I go too dark (and also too light I have extremes of contrast and highlights). I can't help it, Its normally due to frustration of pigments in paint not building up as i'd like. I do occasionally try work on it and try get a more balanced shadow to highlight look with better paint colour choices (using dark colours rather than blacks and light colours rather than whites) and using thinner layering techniques - but its difficult! and I know normally revert to harsh extremes because its just easier I do need to work on it more and find the patience to practice it. seed planted :)

AND - is it only me who thought (musicmacd) was comparing difference in his artwork to a real photo - it didn't click at all until I read through the comments the second pictures was also artwork! i didn't realise 'redone this one. and as you know i'm a huge fan of your work and follow your art journey so i know you do hyper realism and even though i knew that I still didn't spot picture 2 wasn't a photo!!

@bex I really liked your YouTube video of your artwork of the trees on the beach. 😍
Aww thank you. :) I kind of got it to a stage where it looked ok for the video, but i haven't fully finished it yet but its truly is huge its like a full wall mural really and is taking a lot of paint, i wasn't sure if adding a half finished piece to a video worked so glad you liked it,( I will post an update about that video soon in my artist log. )
that picture though is one of the occasions where going in heavy with the dark colours was intentional - as the artwork is so big it needs the boldness to see the detail when you stand back. Realism definitely wasn't on my mind with this piece it was surrealism/abstract complete opposite to what's talked about in this post. is gonna take me a few months to finish i think, i'll post it up once its completely done its fun to paint though nice to have a break from my other works and go add some more to the trees.

i'm just thinking it would be cool to see someone do a huge realism wall mural, is that even possible! probably take a lifetime, i'm not sure what sizes people generally work at when doing the hyper stuff.

Painting murals has a lot of merit because being close to the work you lose perspective all the time. You have to constantly move away from it to have the whole concept in view. I can't wait to see this work finished.

I 100% know I go too dark (and also too light I have extremes of contrast and highlights). I can't help it, Its normally due to frustration of pigments in paint not building up as i'd like. I do occasionally try work on it and try get a more balanced shadow to highlight look with better paint colour choices (using dark colours rather than blacks and light colours rather than whites) and using thinner layering techniques - but its difficult! and I know normally revert to harsh extremes because its just easier I do need to work on it more and find the patience to practice it. seed planted :)

AND - is it only me who thought (musicmacd) was comparing difference in his artwork to a real photo - it didn't click at all until I read through the comments the second pictures was also artwork! i didn't realise 'redone this one. and as you know i'm a huge fan of your work and follow your art journey so i know you do hyper realism and even though i knew that I still didn't spot picture 2 wasn't a photo!!
Thanks for the awesome comment and making my morning before I’m out of bed🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: bex
Back