Harder and Steenbeck Ultra (perfect beginners brush!)

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I purchased this Harder & Steenbeck Ultra from Spraygunner. It is a new, updated version of the brush. After playing with it for a little while, I will say that it has risen to be included in my "recommended for beginners" brushes. I mean, I won't/wouldn't hesitate to use this brush - any day. But, it is just about perfect for those just learning. The brush will actually help learn technique - it is unavoidable using it! The trigger can not be drawn backwards until it is pressed down - which teaches "air on, then paint". The air can also not be stopped until the trigger is returned to the forward position, and released - which in turn teaches "paint off, air off". There is also a rotatable ring behind the trigger with pre-sets for trigger draw/needle opening. The different positions are labeled 1, 2, 3, Base Primer, and then there is a full open gate. It works by blocking the rear trigger lever, and has a positive "click" feel to each position. While I doubt I will be using this feature (I never use the preset on preset handles), I can see how each of the positions would help a beginner develop muscle memory while also getting a feel for how the brush works at various needle openings. Build quality, fit and finish are off the charts for a brush in this price range - it was $110us delivered 2nd day for free. It comes as a 0.45 head/needle configuration. I can assure you, I had no trouble pulling pencil thin lines with ease. I love the V2 H&S needles, as well as already having my Infinity CR set up as a V2 0.4. Once I tried the brush with the 0.4 when they came out with the V2's I never looked back. As a bonus, the Infinity head sets and nozzles will screw right on the Ultra - I finished setting mine up with a crown cap and detail head from the Infinity CR, but left it in the 0.45 configuration after trying the 0.15 and 0.2. No need to change the 045 - it will do everything I would want it to. For those more acclimated to airbrushing already, especially those that are picky about trigger feel - this one will take some getting used to, if you choose to use it. Trigger feel is firm due to the gated operation and captured auxiliary lever. It is however very smooth, and free of rough spots or gritty feel.
DSC_3451.jpg
DSC_3448.jpg
DSC_3453.jpg
DSC_3455.jpg
DSC_3458.jpg
DSC_3459.jpg

Nice! Looks like a well built product.
I prefer firm triggers. I always set mine to the hardest setting possible.

Thanks,
Ismael

The fit and finish on this one really is amazingly nice. Every detail is finished to a 10.
I seen some YouTube reviews on it when it first came out and I seem to remember one of the channels saying that it had a better trigger response than the other H&S brushes.

I seen some YouTube reviews on it when it first came out and I seem to remember one of the channels saying that it had a better trigger response than the other H&S brushes.
The trigger is different from the other H&S brushes, this is true. Response? I think this is just a personal preference or perceived bias from end users due to the different feel of the trigger when compared to others in the line. The actual business pieces that would attribute to response are the same across the brand. They all use the same nozzle, air cap, and needle configurations - the trigger is just the mechanism to put those parts to work - but does not itself actually affect paint response. The dreaded lag that can occur is actually caused at the tip by the change in pressure across the nozzle
I do get it, as I have had several Infinitys that I just could not get used to the trigger feel, and sold. The one (Infinity) I have now feels OK, but nothing to write home about.
The Ultra uses a gate type affair that will not allow the trigger to be drawn back, until you press it down. You also can not stop airflow until the trigger is returned all the way forward. For a beginner I think this is great, as it helps teach a proper technique.
Being more experienced, I can feel all the drag on the trigger. I can for sure work with it, but personally find it a distraction compared to some of the butter smooth triggers I normally work with. Because i do not work with solvent based paints, and tend to order o-rings by the hundreds, I simply ditched the teflon seals at the needle packing, and air valve pin locations. This then allowed me to install softer springs, which make the action super smooth and soft to operate. I am really enjoying this brush.

Good video on this brush...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, I remember watching the promos for that on H&S’s website, and it appeared to be a really nice airbrush. I’m glad you like it. Despite some of the teething issues that Harder & Steenbeck products went through, I really admire their innovation, attention to detail, especially for their price range. Given the preset settings, it sounds like the brush is much more tailor toward model makers and figure painters, than illustration, fine art. I’ll have to get my hands on an Ultra as well.

I purchased this Harder & Steenbeck Ultra from Spraygunner. It is a new, updated version of the brush. After playing with it for a little while, I will say that it has risen to be included in my "recommended for beginners" brushes. I mean, I won't/wouldn't hesitate to use this brush - any day. But, it is just about perfect for those just learning. The brush will actually help learn technique - it is unavoidable using it! The trigger can not be drawn backwards until it is pressed down - which teaches "air on, then paint". The air can also not be stopped until the trigger is returned to the forward position, and released - which in turn teaches "paint off, air off". There is also a rotatable ring behind the trigger with pre-sets for trigger draw/needle opening. The different positions are labeled 1, 2, 3, Base Primer, and then there is a full open gate. It works by blocking the rear trigger lever, and has a positive "click" feel to each position. While I doubt I will be using this feature (I never use the preset on preset handles), I can see how each of the positions would help a beginner develop muscle memory while also getting a feel for how the brush works at various needle openings. Build quality, fit and finish are off the charts for a brush in this price range - it was $110us delivered 2nd day for free. It comes as a 0.45 head/needle configuration. I can assure you, I had no trouble pulling pencil thin lines with ease. I love the V2 H&S needles, as well as already having my Infinity CR set up as a V2 0.4. Once I tried the brush with the 0.4 when they came out with the V2's I never looked back. As a bonus, the Infinity head sets and nozzles will screw right on the Ultra - I finished setting mine up with a crown cap and detail head from the Infinity CR, but left it in the 0.45 configuration after trying the 0.15 and 0.2. No need to change the 045 - it will do everything I would want it to. For those more acclimated to airbrushing already, especially those that are picky about trigger feel - this one will take some getting used to, if you choose to use it. Trigger feel is firm due to the gated operation and captured auxiliary lever. It is however very smooth, and free of rough spots or gritty feel.
View attachment 85842
View attachment 85847
View attachment 85843
View attachment 85844
View attachment 85845
View attachment 85846
This indeed is a great looking airbrush, and it's nice to hear that it does well functionally too. I'm planning to get the Infinity, hopefully in February. Thank you for sharing your feedback on this great looking airbrush DaveG! 🙏😊

Nice write-up DaveG, this seems like a great brush to start recommending to my friends who are interested in getting into airbrushing - great build quality, some beginner-friendly features, and a very budget friendly price point.

Nice write-up DaveG, this seems like a great brush to start recommending to my friends who are interested in getting into airbrushing - great build quality, some beginner-friendly features, and a very budget friendly price point.
I usually like to know more about what someone want to accomplish when starting airbrush - With that said, this one will for sure be added to the list of brushes that I may recommend.

I usually like to know more about what someone want to accomplish when starting airbrush - With that said, this one will for sure be added to the list of brushes that I may recommend.
Totally agree. I hosted an intro to airbrushing class at work this past week and took several of my brushes in for people to try out. The Iwata Eclipse is typically my "one and done" starter recommendation, but it definitely comes down to what they want to get out of it and how they want to use it.

The dreaded lag that can occur is actually caused at the tip by the change in pressure across the nozzle

Is there a design flaw in the nozzle area causing this lag? Is this the case across the line?

Also, most quality airbrushes I’ve used have either a nozzle seal or a cap seal (or head seal) but not both. I’ve noticed the H&S brushes have both a nozzle and air cap seal. In your opinion is this just insurance against air leaks, or is the nozzle seal and seat (which I know can be a problem if not clean) a poor design?

This has been a thoroughly interesting read. A Harder Steenbeck has been one of my more recent purchases and it is a nice brush but I have not used it much. The HS nozzle does seem beginner friendly being drop in also. I was interested to read previously that the teflon nozzle seals are an issue in a post by you @DaveG, are they one of the items you replace with an oring?

Is there a thread about your favoured beginner brushes?

Is there a design flaw in the nozzle area causing this lag? Is this the case across the line?

Also, most quality airbrushes I’ve used have either a nozzle seal or a cap seal (or head seal) but not both. I’ve noticed the H&S brushes have both a nozzle and air cap seal. In your opinion is this just insurance against air leaks, or is the nozzle seal and seat (which I know can be a problem if not clean) a poor design?
- Is there a design flaw in the nozzle area causing this lag? Is this the case across the line?
No, and no. An airbrush works by utilizing a change in air pressure across the nozzle opening to draw paint forward through the paint channel, stripping the paint from the needle and atomizing it into the air stream. The trigger is a mechanical mechanism to used to initiate air flow and move the needle. There is not enough play between trigger post, auxiliary lever, and needle chuck to account for any measurable difference in needle movement (nozzle opening). If there is variation in paint initiation, it is not the needle/trigger - as we already know it is moving. With properly reduced paint, ink, whatever, you will have consistent results provided the change in pressure is greater than the surface tension holding the paint in the paint channel. Sometimes it simply isn't. The solution is in the media being used, not the brush itself. It is tuned to work the way it works, so you must feed it properly.

-
No brush NEEDS seals anywhere except the air valve to work. I work with scores of brushes that have only an air stem seal and nothing more. Seals are added for convenience to the end user. Air must be kept out of the paint channel, hence the seal on the nozzle base of the H&S. For consistent results it helps to know you have air leaks sealed before the air makes it past the nozzle, so they added a seal to the air cap. Many Iwata brushes use no seals in these areas at all.

I see no poor design(s), just poor end user understanding and care of the tools they are using...

This has been a thoroughly interesting read. A Harder Steenbeck has been one of my more recent purchases and it is a nice brush but I have not used it much. The HS nozzle does seem beginner friendly being drop in also. I was interested to read previously that the teflon nozzle seals are an issue in a post by you @DaveG, are they one of the items you replace with an oring?
Is there a thread about your favoured beginner brushes?
I don't replace the nozzle seal with an o-ring, because I seldom, have issues with them. The issue I believe is that Teflon has zero elasticity. Once compressed it remains compressed with no bounce back. The air cap seal is rubber, which does compress- so, the user will crank down on the air cap compressing both the o-ring and Teflon seal. Remove the air cap for cleaning, and unless they tighten exactly back where they had it, or perhaps a tad tighter, your teflon now does no create a complete seal...

My recommended brush depends on the users intended purpose and/or experience... A few good ones are the Eclipse, a few of the Creos brushes, this Ultra... I even just recommended a Badger 100 side feed to someone because of it's very small size (8 year old intended user).

There is also a great deal of personal preference involved. Size, weight, balance, even looks. I see lots of people going the extra effort to make the triggers as soft as possible. On the contrary, I want my triggers to challenge me, "Do you really want me to move? Go on! make me!" I want trigger resistance. Why? I have no idea but a possible explanation is the purpose. I am not an illustrator. I am a scale modeler and the truth is I use the airbrush mostly as a glorified spray can. In most cases I need consistent high volume over fine control. Which goes back to: It all depends on the purpose. What's better? a motorcycle or a pickup truck? That's like asking a SOTAR or a Paasche H? It depends on the purpose.

Thanks,
Ismael

I understand where you are coming from, my son has been interested in airbrushing and he is younger still and the weight and size of my Thayer chandler model A is great for him.

This ultra does look very nice and this has been a great insight into it.

Back