Special piece of junk?

Wizard_Theron

Mac-Valve Maestro!
“More junk from eBay” calls my wife as she shuts the door on the postman today.

Junk? You decide.

When i spotted this, I was pretty sure it was something a bit special. The double ring is very Aerograph but the handles on Aerographs (which is what it was listed as) are typically pointy, or the aluminum? type with four grip textures (which are nice in their own right) thougb I don’t yet have one. Here though, the handle is an unknown dark brown material and end of the handle is I metal, again not regular, and I remembered having seen one like that somewhere, which I remembered because it was unusual. So seeing the same sort of thing, I bought it. While waiting for it to arrive I looked for the one I’d seen at some point on the net and found it again. That one was marked “Chas. L. Burdick”. No mention of that in the listing of my one though. Here’s what I got though:

The dark brown handle. See what it says there? (Click for larger, higher res image).
6974472C-1557-48FE-938C-4796EE670C98.jpeg
Spare (pitted) needle!
The ‘ring’ is in the wrong place. Someone has screwed it into the cleaning? Hole behind the hole where it is meant to go, it’s supposed to sit right behind the trigger I think. Same as most Aerographs.
BF3390C4-80ED-4424-B559-C1F9B74C57D2.jpegAB691107-DF5E-4957-91D5-DC686569F5B8.jpeg
Serial number in the A cup as well as on the underside of the brush. Pain to clean i bet!
188E9CEF-EF89-4316-AC82-3EB9679FA29F.jpeg
It smells like the industrial smog of old London may have smelt. And it smells old!
6A68A075-EA4A-446D-9B4F-F1ECC43465D8.jpeg
Not sure on the nozzle components exactly. Looks a bit dented around the cap area though
E2F10655-4613-49C9-8D03-FA5CF1F85F2B.jpeg
One of those brass fittings that’s been soldered onto it. Underneath should be an old bulb-like fitting i believe.
85ED009E-5CB6-400F-AAFF-B8B5C3C29444.jpeg
Plating has come off in places. Below the ridge a scratch I think. Presumably not a crack.
82E78D8C-9860-4E1D-88FF-5A68D5CC98FB.jpeg
No case. Came in what appears to be a glasses case. Only in the photo in case it might help hint at date. Where is a glasses case historian when you need one? It could have been put in it much later though, just don’t know.
AA47910A-C67B-48B8-98C5-9489B4BE314D.jpeg

Got to find the courage (and time) to take it apart and see what the internals are like.

Charles L Burdick, most of you will know already, is the guy who invented a lot of the airbrush technology we still use today, from about 1890 on. Internal mix, pen-like brush, finger trigger operation, etc. His inventions led to Thayer and Chandler being formed to sell his inventions, then he left for London, started his own company, the fountain brush co. which he quite quickly seems to have changed to Aerograph. Aerograph years later sold to DeVilbiss. Fischer in France also appears to be a consequence of Aerograph from what I read (still reading and trying to understand stuff). If i have anything wrong or incomplete please do correct me.

I am not sure on date. Could it pre-date the formation of Aerograph? No Aerograph written on it. No made in England or anything like that like you see on them. I hope someone here can tell me more. I have found a couple similar online since (including one on here) but they do seem very rare. I love it anyway. Even if my wife is right and its actually just junk.

Attachments

• 4DD44E6C-AFBC-4A4C-819D-75FE06AA5486.jpeg
    4DD44E6C-AFBC-4A4C-819D-75FE06AA5486.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 17
Nice catch :)

I think that was from the same guy I bought mine from :)

Same brass tube soldered on :)

Nice catch :)

I think that was from the same guy I bought mine from :)

Same brass tube soldered on :)
Thanks, yeah that explains it. I’d seen your post last week and thought what are the chances. I just posted on that thread asking you how you suggest I go about getting it off!

Congrats, nice find Wizard.:thumbsup:

Yours looks similar to a model E I have. Mine also has Chas. L. Burdick Patent stamped in the handle. Does the cap on the handle end unscrew? Mine has no cap. Is there anything stuffed in the end, spare nozzle perhaps? I was told that mine should be from around WWl to early '20s. I would think yours to be close to the same time period. Give or take.

When you take it apart I would suggest not taking the cup head off. I did that with mine and now it will not line up straight. I need to find something to take up the slack. I'm thinking some type of plumbers putty. These brushes aren't that easy to disassemble, at least in my experience.

The trigger ring looks to me to be mounted in the wrong place. Easy enough to fix that.

aeroantiqueE.jpg

Congrats, nice find Wizard.:thumbsup:

Yours looks similar to a model E I have. Mine also has Chas. L. Burdick Patent stamped in the handle. Does the cap on the handle end unscrew? Mine has no cap. Is there anything stuffed in the end, spare nozzle perhaps? I was told that mine should be from around WWl to early '20s. I would think yours to be close to the same time period. Give or take.

When you take it apart I would suggest not taking the cup head off. I did that with mine and now it will not line up straight. I need to find something to take up the slack. I'm thinking some type of plumbers putty. These brushes aren't that easy to disassemble, at least in my experience.

The trigger ring looks to me to be mounted in the wrong place. Easy enough to fix that.

View attachment 86875
Thanks 2D. Yours is gorgeous. I love these older brushes. They’re certainly similar aren't they. I’ll be delighted if mine is as old as that. I hope mine cleans up as nicely as yours which looks in fantastic shape.

The handle cap does not appear to unscrew and there’s nothing inside it so far as i can tell.

Couldn’t resist starting to take it apart. Yours and mine have slightly different needle chuck mechanisms by the looks of things. Mine is the same as the one i saw online. I’ll post a link to what i found in a bit in case you or anyone else is interested, or to help someone who finds this thread in the future when searching for info on brushes like these.
C2226342-188D-4ECD-A1DF-08818BE4EAB0.jpeg

When you take it apart I would suggest not taking the cup head off. I did that with mine and now it will not line up straight.

Cup head? Do you mean the whole part forward of the trigger? Cause if you do, i unscrewed that jus a moment ago! 😂 or are you referring to a different part? I’ll stop taking apart for now!

search "new vintage airbrush" by jord001

It has the same spec chuck as yours I think.

Head assembly is also the same as far as i can tell so it must be standard!

Thanks, thats handy. Is @jord001 still around?

This one on this other site appears the same. Author suggests 1930s not sure how that conclusion was reached, i’ll message them and ask. They have a schematic of the mechanism which they seem to have drawn up too, which is cool.

I also found one on Facebook identical to mine (but black handle) claiming to have been designed in 1893 (based on what I don’t know, Burdick’s patents I'm guessing)

The nozzle head and handle also look quite similar to the early brown thayer and chandler one here, which is no real surprise, but may help date things.

Cup head? Do you mean the whole part forward of the trigger? Cause if you do, i unscrewed that jus a moment ago!

Yep, that was the part I suggested not to take apart. 😁

It's an interesting setup on the back side of the brush (the last pic you posted). Looking at it I wonder if it was assembled correctly. Just my opinion, the spring looks to be collapsed but the trigger is in the rearward position. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'll be looking forward to pics when you have it apart.

picture here of early Burdick Aerograph dated 1898. Different nozzle cap and different ring behind the trigger but otherwise seems the same. Shame there is no picture with the handle off.

I think i read somewhere that the original nozzle was not changeable so if correct then probably all of ours are subsequent models. I’d love to date them with more certainty. There must be info somewhere.

Yep, that was the part I suggested not to take apart. 😁

It's an interesting setup on the back side of the brush (the last pic you posted). Looking at it I wonder if it was assembled correctly. Just my opinion, the spring looks to be collapsed but the trigger is in the rearward position. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'll be looking forward to pics when you have it apart.
😂 oh well, you tried to warn me! Well, once you figure out how to re-align yours, do let me know the trick, okay!

I think you may be right about the trigger mechanism being assembled incorrectly because when i got it the trigger was basically jammed in the wrong position and could not operate. That plus the ring in the wrong hole so someone did reassemble it wrong for sure.

Taking them apart is fairly easy. Getting them back together can be fun, or shall I say, frustrating. The trigger mechanism is especially a good time so it may not be in correctly and perhaps why they put it back together the way they did. They are a different animal.

Yeah, looks like an early Burdick (likely pre- Aerograph branding) to me. I would guess at 1920's.I have seen a few of them that had the original nozzle cut off, and a threaded replacement inserted into what was then a nozzle tube under the air cap. I am pretty sure this upgrade was done at Aerograph in the 50-70's

Taking them apart is fairly easy. Getting them back together can be fun, or shall I say, frustrating. The trigger mechanism is especially a good time so it may not be in correctly and perhaps why they put it back together the way they did. They are a different animal.
The parts are linked by pins, forming a chain. One of them it looks like you can prise it up off it’s pin to separate and then probably remove everything. But if I’m wrong (or even if I’m right) i might break it. So I haven’t had the certainty or courage to try yet.
63D6C9B6-E011-4261-9A7F-ABBC36A36E03.jpeg

Yeah, looks like an early Burdick (likely pre- Aerograph branding) to me. I would guess at 1920's.I have seen a few of them that had the original nozzle cut off, and a threaded replacement inserted into what was then a nozzle tube under the air cap. I am pretty sure this upgrade was done at Aerograph in the 50-70's
I’ll put the head in some cleaner. I may need acetone though. Just soaking the head end because there is what i think is leather packing higher up which I don’t want to disturb / cause to swell.

I couldn't figure out how to fish the triggers out of mine so I left them in. I wasn't about to try to remove one of the hinge pins.

Do you have a pic of how the back parts came out?

I couldn't figure out how to fish the triggers out of mine so I left them in. I wasn't about to try to remove one of the hinge pins.

Do you have a pic of how the back parts came out?
The back part is held in place with the screw under the brush. Undo that and the adjuster ring next to it in the other hole too. Then fish out the internal brass cam ring if you want it out the way, it’ll just slide over everything. Trigger sits in a slot so can be lifted and moved back a bit to reverse the rear part of the mechanism out. Pins still in place.

Soaked all day and the cap turned off easily.
Here’s the nozzle. Looks quite good I think. Interested to hear whether people think it original or not. 76AC7667-C75C-4B82-A8C5-936F7030A683.jpeg

Because there is very little documented history on these tools, it is next to impossible to say for sure - I have seen probably as many brushes from this particular time period with one piece non-removable nozzles as I have with replaceable ones... if it works, it is ALL good ;)

Back