Pascal's airbrush experiments

Quick question. those dark spots on the paper, did you put them there on purpose for texture or are they just appearing when you spray ?

To make an even transition.
Start with a line.
Spray the next line from a slightly higher height and overlap the first line by 50%.
and so on.
the higher the height the more paint you can give.

To fix it, you can spray some paint in lighter places.
But you have to be careful not to get into the darker places.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.
With a few more layers it is already less visible.
And skin is not even.
A portrait from so close up.
I try not to spray too evenly, otherwise it will become too plastic.
For me .
Thank you. I made some improvements.

Quick question. those dark spots on the paper, did you put them there on purpose for texture or are they just appearing when you spray ?
I think they appeared with airbrushing. It's not intended and also not the paper. Sometimes that happens. Mostly with darker colors I think...

I think they appeared with airbrushing. It's not intended and also not the paper. Sometimes that happens. Mostly with darker colors I think...
That’s an indication of tip dry, the paint in the tip is blowing onto the paper, wipe you needle tip more often. Many use a cotton tip dampened with water/reducer and hold it in their other hand and stick the needle it the end of it and spin the cotton tip. (I think AndreZA may have a write up on his blog, I’ll check later)
I use a dampened latex make-up pad and stab it and wiggle the tip around gently.

Thank you for explaining that. I use a cotton swab that I have in a small cup with airbrush cleaner.
I use it to clean the needle now and then during the airbrushing. But maybe it's not frequent enought then.
Is it better to use reducer to prevent tip drying instead of cleaner?

I thought the dark dots were meant to be.
If you still get that even though you just cleaned the needle
(which you have to do very often sometimes with every line)
Is it better to strain your paint.
you can remove them by gently scraping them off with a knife when the paint is dry.
You then have white dots that are less noticeable.
If you have the time The videos of
Fred Wagner https://www.youtube.com/user/fredaw61/videos
Are recommended.

Thank you.
I'm afraid something is wrong with my nozzle. The cup empty extremely slowly with blowing out.
I did a deep clean like this (with the Iwata cleaning kit), but not much improvement.

You can look at it with a magnifying glass.
If he looks normal. Can you let it soak in Createx Restorer.
To ensure that there are no paint residues.
When you put the needle back in you should feel metal on metal.
If it feels soft or sponge-like, there is still paint in it.

Is restorer different than cleaner?
I just placed an order for new paint and cleaner, but no restorer.

Is restorer different than cleaner?
I just placed an order for new paint and cleaner, but no restorer.
Yes, restorer is for deep cleaning of dried paint, cleaner will work with wet paint but not so great on dried stuff.
The restorer is reusable so don’t throw it out when your done.
Get a small jar/solvent proof container just big enough to soak the nozzle/air cap in, let it soak for a day or two then clean the nozzle, keep the restorer for next time.
upload_2021-9-16_17-55-51.jpeg

I will look in the local drawing store if they have restorer.
Doesn't putting the nozzle into restorer for a day damage it?
In the previous Iwata video it says soak no more than 10 minutes for the cleaner.

Last edited:
Update: the store don't has a restorer. I will have to buy it online but don't need anything other at the moment. Transport costs will be more expensive than the restorer... :(
Maybe I will try to give a third clean for the nozzle before I place an order.

Hi there no you won't damage It a all use paint brush bristles to clean inside the nozzle as well then burst it with air it's done wonder on my nozzle every one has different ways of cleaning there guns .

The pic was my CM-B head and air cap, it was in there for 24 hours.
I’ve just had my HP-B nozzle and air cap in there for a week. never soak anything with the seals in the strong stuff.
if you are certain there are no seals of any description before soaking you can use ammonia, isopropyl, spray gun cleaner... just don't forget its in there for weeks at a time, although I know DaveG has tested ammonia on airbrushes for extended time without any problem.

What are seals?
I gave the nozle a third clean with airbrush cleaner for about 16 hours - no improvement.
Is it ok to use a needle or so to remove paint?
I do have another nozzle, but they are expensive.

Hi there I would not use a needle to clean of paint in your nozzle that will scratch the surface and course more problems use paint brush bristles they will clean any paint in the nozzle after soaking it in ammonia and then give it a blast with air youĺ be right mate.

Hi there I would not use a needle to clean of paint in your nozzle that will scratch the surface and course more problems use paint brush bristles they will clean any paint in the nozzle after soaking it in ammonia and then give it a blast with air youĺ be right mate.
Do you mean paint brush like they use for acryl painting?
The ammonia is sold in the do it yourself store in 1 L bottles. I have to search for smaller bottles.

Back