New brush, Super 63

Kingpin

AKA, SIR KingPin
Staff member
Mod
OK so it looks as though I am well on the slippery slope and got Myself an Aerograph 63 :D

After stripping it down and cleaning it, then redoing it as I had put the cam in the wrong way round 🤪 Then trying to figure out why air was blowing out through the cup and realising it didnt come with the o ring on the nozzle! I managed to find a ring off an old cheap brush it now works brilliantly :)
20230701_143723.jpg
20230701_143757.jpg
20230701_143735.jpg

Great looking brush Ian. Now you can paint your nailslol. Joking aside it's good to see you got a UK made brush. Didn't know you were looking for one. It seems to spray nicely indeed. Good show mate!

And I'm sure you are aware. Everything Airbrush for parts. Tim is great to deal with.

Thanks Brother :)

I didn't know I was looking for one either, but it popped up on the bay (for what I think was a good price) so went for it 😎

OK so it looks as though I am well on the slippery slope and got Myself an Aerograph 63 :D

After stripping it down and cleaning it, then redoing it as I had put the cam in the wrong way round 🤪 Then trying to figure out why air was blowing out through the cup and realising it didnt come with the o ring on the nozzle! I managed to find a ring off an old cheap brush it now works brilliantly :)
View attachment 84118
View attachment 84120
View attachment 84119
That's really nice. I have a Super 63 coming from UK at this moment, It's difficult to find a good one from this distance, you're fortunate to be in their birthplace.

I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it! lol
Welcome to the club.
2v2e7vHJzxJ21ND.jpg

Last edited:
How are you getting on with the 63?

I have noticed you have used it for a few pieces recently, do you use it for a specific area of your airbrushing? You have certainly been getting my attention with how your work turns out with it, it seems versatile.

If you dont mind me asking a whole bunch of questions, I have a sprite major in terrible condition I am repairing, What set up are you running in it? The fine set up or have you got high flow in it? and what have you been spraying through it?

Thanks,

Richard

I am loving the 63, its a great brush considering its age, and sprays beautifully :)

I have been putting mostly Com-Art or Golden High Flow through Her but She sprays well with any paint I have tried and I tend to use the one brush for everything once I start a painting, the 63 is great for fine detail thats why I used her recently on the Paintpals as they are A5 and much smaller than I usually like to work on, usually prefering A3 or even A2 sized paper. I am running the fine setup :thumbsup: :cool:

I dont mind the questions, ask away :)

Thanks

Thats interesting to hear, I had read that some have struggled with modern acrylics through these brushes but I think com-Art and golden high flow are acrylic aren't they?

I have a damaged high flow nozzle I believe and a good matched fine head and nozzle set and had wondered which route to go down. You running fine with acrylic gives me confidence that I could make that set up work.

Have you had to source any parts? Everything airbrush seems to own aerograph now but currently dont stock needles. DaveG kindly tested a few different brand needles in his aerograph and found the badger needles to be a reasonable fit but not perfect seal so I will try and make my own starting from a badger needle profile most likely!

Is the brush comparable to anything else in your collection performance and ergonomically? I do not know what other brushed you paint with!

Thanks

Thats interesting to hear, I had read that some have struggled with modern acrylics through these brushes but I think com-Art and golden high flow are acrylic aren't they?

I have a damaged high flow nozzle I believe and a good matched fine head and nozzle set and had wondered which route to go down. You running fine with acrylic gives me confidence that I could make that set up work.

Have you had to source any parts? Everything airbrush seems to own aerograph now but currently dont stock needles. DaveG kindly tested a few different brand needles in his aerograph and found the badger needles to be a reasonable fit but not perfect seal so I will try and make my own starting from a badger needle profile most likely!

Is the brush comparable to anything else in your collection performance and ergonomically? I do not know what other brushed you paint with!
I have not had much difficulty using the Aerographs with most modern airbrush specific paints. When I got a Super93 (side feed, no cam-trigger mechanism) I did the below painting using Golden HIgh Flow along with some Createx Illustration. Paints specific to model making are a bit of a different animal, though... All of mine are set up with the fine head and needle combo. Trigger and needle tend to be very, um, firm to operate compared to most other offerings out there. I wound new springs for all of mine to soften the action up - they perform quite well. A pretty easy comparison to a good Japanese brush - performance wise. For me, the one drawback is the trigger mechanism which uses a diaphragm as part of the design. Older ones (pre-1980's) tend to stiffen or split. This causes either a very firm trigger feel, or air escaping out the trigger slot. Newer ones (mid-80's and newer) use a rubber diaphragm that can be repaired with crazy glue (carefully), that stays more supple.

Aerographs2.jpg
violet sabrewing2.jpg

Thats a fantastic painting. The comparison to a good japanese brush us high praise. I am fond of the side feed 93 in the middle of your trio there.

Thats a good point that it may not be the acrylics that are aimed at illustration and more those for model painting that are a problem.

Mine has suffered the fate you speak of with the broken diaphragm. I had been thinking over ways I could do away with it as it looked a weak point.

The size and shape and weight is similar to My Iwata HP-SB and the perfomance is pretty similar in My chubby fingers :)

I think I did order a new nozzle, but without going through old orders I dont remember where from.

They are definitely sounding like a good brush from both of your experiences. I think I will try and get mine as original as possible to start with and hope the sprite major performs like the 63 and 93.

I will look out for any more mistreated brushes that need resuscitation!

Back